Am i doing this diet right?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by carina62
    on

Just wondering if I’m actually doing this diet right or not – I have chosen the 5:2 (2 days Fasting with 800 cals on these days) but I haven’t really noticed a huge improvement in my BS levels (I’m T2 diabetic) and weight isn’t coming off as fast as I’d hoped. What do others do following this plan? thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

To get a quick result in BS you need to do the 800. I was 190 (10.5) on day 1, by day 3 I was down to 152 (8.4) and by day 4 was 125 (6.9), or near enough normal. Since then the highest I have been is 117 (6.5). I have stuck to the diet rigidly, no cheating. I am getting my health back so want to do this right. If you are doing 5:2, how many calories and what carbs are you eating on the 5 days.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Carina
    I agree with sunshine-girl, you would probably be much better off on the bsd 800 to help with your diabetes.

If you are just eating normally on the 5 days of your 5:2 this is probably where you are going wrong. You still need to eat in a med-style way, so limiting your carbs and having healthy fats etc, just not restricting the calories. It’s a common misconception that you can just eat whatever you want on the five days, but it’s not an accurate interpretation of the 5:2.

on

Hope this has not put you off Carina, you must try this way of eating. Have you got the book, seen the recipes. It is a total life changer, ask anyone on this site for whatever advice you need.

• posted by carina62
    on

Thanks for your replies. I am trying to stick to 800 cals on the 2 Fast Days and only have 1200 on the normal days. My weight is actually coming down very slowly for the first time in years so something is working. I do try and eat healthily and am also currently cutting down carbs which is helping me enormously with my BS levels. I am still in the middle of reading the book and my next chapter is all about carbs so I hope to be a bit more ‘knowledgeable’ after reading the book but my main aim is to lose weight and to get my BS levels down and reduce my fatty liver. It is a hard uphill struggle but I am determined to get there as it’s my last chance to regain my health back since diagnosis of T2 diabetes in 2009.

• posted by Nursebean
    on

As a seasoned 5:2er I would highly recommend you try the 800 cals first, purely because, like the others say, you ten to eat what you like in the other five days – and it just doesn’t work so well that way!
    Having 800 cals a day is easier than you can imagine. I think it’s the best way for you and your diabetes xx

on

Carina, beside the low calories I think the low carb element of this diet is the most important for diabetics. You will have to ditch the carbs as you know them, rice, pasta, potatoes and bread are gone completely. In come the complex carbs which you will have to learn about but as far as starchy sides with meals you are looking at lentils, chickpeas and beans but you will also find low carbs in lots of other foods. Also you need to get your good fats like olive oil, avocado, nuts. The proteins are things like chicken, fish, eggs, cheese.

After reading the book I found I was stumped as to what to eat so followed the menu plans, each day giving around 800 cals and low carbs but balanced for the nutrients needed.

• posted by Timmy
    on

The carbs is key. I’m not diabetic and not even doing the 5:2 any more, just med style. Although I think in general my calorific consumption has reduced just because I’m not getting as hungry. But still the weight is flying off.

I’m eating complex carbs, just not the simple/refined ones and it’s the best I’ve felt in years. My advice would be to read the book ALL the way through then start properly.

• posted by Carolwadd
    on

Advice from the experts please! Am in week 5, lost 1 stone so far. Do not have diabetes but need to lose about 4 stone total. I am counting and weighing, drinking lots of water. A bit disappointed if I’m honest – just thought at first I’d lose a bit more. So I’m trying to “tweak” to see if I’m doing anything wrong. I had missed the bit in the book about 45g protein allowance and have obviously been having too much (although total calls have been under 800 and carbs under 50g). What do you old timers have? I notice some of the recipes in the book call for 100-150g for meat and fish. I haven’t been counting fat but try and have higher value things where poss. Is this where I am going wrong? Would appreciate any guidance.

on

As I have said to others, I am 5 weeks in and lost 7lbs so you are doing better than me. I count the other good things to come out of this like my blood glucose going down. You don’t have diabetes so you cannot measure that but you must look better, feel better, etc. A stone in 5 weeks, that is fantastic.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Carolwadd, Well done , 14 lbs in 5 weeks is nearly 3 lbs every week. Keep that going and you will lose the other 3 stone in 15 weeks – 3.5 months. A lot better that most recommended ‘diet’s who tell you to lose 1ilb a week 🙂 .
    I am not sure what you are measuring – my apologies if you have already explained it in another post. It looks like you are measuring carbs and calories which is fine. You mention the 45g – that is just a standard recommended amount for women (40-45g protein per day). It is not in the book, but neither is the 50g carbs. MM recommends foods to eat and those to avoid and to keep to ‘around’ 800 – to averages over the week. From experience most people have found 50g carbs will drive weight loss, and correct blood sugars however the veggies, myself included find the 50g hard to meet and have lost successfully at higher levels – probably because a lot of what we eat is ‘good’ carbs – seeds, nuts, veg, etc. What is important is that this is not a high protein diet, but high fat – that is what keeps you full. I have lost over 3 stone on 60g carbs a day.
    The question about the recipes – if you take 100g of tuna it comprises 23.4g protein; 0.95 fat and 0 carbs. 108 calories. So about half the protein you need for the day to keep your body healthy. Does that answer your question on the proteins?
    Please ask more if you want other information explained.
    Keep it up – you are doing fine!

• posted by Carolwadd
    on

Thanks for your replies and support, Orchid and Sunshine-girl. That helps to put things more in perspective.

• posted by Jane Jones
    on

I find mashed cauliflower an entirely acceptable substitute for mashed potato. Without too much embellishment on the BSD800, but on a low carb regime you can add double cream and/or butter – lush is not too excessive a word to describe it. You can also add other veggies as well as onions and garlic.

I am doing the 800 at the moment, but plan to move to the 5:2 by Christmas (if my resolution lasts the course) and really look forward to eating mayonnaise and other fatty high calorie goodies again. I know that I can maintain weight on a mainly low carb regime, with the odd splurge, so roll on xmas.

At the moment my treat is Blue Monday at Yo Sushi. I have salmon sashimi, kaiso salad and the aubergine. The calorie count is on the menu. Rice, unfortunately, has to be avoided.

Has anyone looked at the Nutrition Data Self website? They give you every possible nutritional value for food

• posted by Snoop
    on

Re. Bruno Silva’s post, Clickbank is an internet retailer. I’ve reported this post as advertising.

Please log in or register to post a reply.