Allergic to cow's milk

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LCB
    on

Hi everyone. I need to lose some body fat in the near future. Currently on chemo so not a good idea at present but st the end of Feb….. my problem is that although I can tolerate butter, many of the recipes have cream, creme fraiche, ricotta, Greek yoghurt, etc. Cheese I can find in the goat and sheep range ( didn’t realise that pecorino was made from sheeps’ milk until I got the allergic reaction to milk) but what do I use to replace other dairy products? I have to admit I am not overly keen on the soya ‘cream’ but would it work in cooked recipes? Once I come off chemo I can have goat’s or sheep’s yoghurt. Would that work? Anyone else with this problem who can help?
    Many thanks and a Happy and Healthy New Year to all.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi LCB
    Sorry to read of you current health issues, but great that you are planning ahead and looking to improve things going forward. Yes you can use soya cream in sauces etc and actually when used in this way, the taste is very similar to normal cream, as normally there are other flavours coming through as well. If a recipe stipulates yogurt, I see no reason why one made from Goat or Sheep milk wouldn’t work, but if its added to a sauce, to void curdling add it late in the cooking process and don’t allow it to boil.
    As you have identified, there are lots of goat and sheep cheeses available these days. Think it is St Helen’s that do one in a log shape, that is very soft and creamy (a very young cheese), which would probably work well in any recipe requiring ricotta.
    Thing to do is experiment a little and see what works and what doesn’t.
    Good luck and I look forward to reading your progress.

• posted by LCB
    on

Many thanks SunnyB. I’ll make a note of your suggestions so I don’t forget between now and end of Feb! Very useful advice.

• posted by CJF62
    on

Almond milk or rice milk maybe.?

• posted by LCB
    on

Thanks for that CJF62. I find rice milk a little sweet for savoury dishes and I already use almond milk but it is very thin to replace cream.
    Thanks for your help though, much appreciated.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

St Helens also do goat butter and goat cream, Waitrose stock them, I am not sure how widely they are available. Oat milk is quite useful for more savoury dishes as well.

Please log in or register to post a reply.