Advice for Tofi's out there

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by TofiEm
    on

I started the BSD back in February and have since been following the way of life style of eating and can’t praise it highly enough. I would make just one main point however for the lean diabetics or those referred to on here as “Tofi’s”. I struggled to find much guidance for those who are already pretty lean and considered myself a Tofi even though my waist measurement was 31 inches at the start (I’m 5 foot 9). Whilst I feel better, look younger and am in better shape than at any time during my life, some of my sugars have simply failed to come down regardless of how strict my eating plan is, how strenuous the HIIT I engage in and no matter how much research I do I into bedtime snacks/cider vinegar etc(!) or at least the improvements are often short lived. Being a bit of a control freak I have researched this extensively and uncovered a huge amount of information about the great number of reasons for type 2 that are not necessarily visceral fat and therefore unlikely be cured that way either (although less fat on your body can only be a good thing). Dr Moseley’s book made me incredibly wary of medication – I’m certainly glad I have delayed taking any as it’s allowed me to assess the real impact of any changes and as my sugar levels weren’t rocket high, it shouldn’t have done too much harm but given my research, I would give a word of caution for those lean newly diagnosed diabetics out there. If it isn’t visceral fat that is your problem (i.e. your waist measurement is below the threshold dr Moseley mentions) it may be that your type 2 is caused by one of a number of genetic defects that is causing the destruction of your beta cells and preserving those you have left is crucial and combined with all the changes Dr Moseley advocates, small amounts of medication may actually the best way of preserving those you have left/giving the existing ones a rest to allow function to be restored. I will forever be in Dr Moseley’s debt for explaining the condition to me in such an accessible way, giving me some evidence based hope and above all, the motivation to make different decisions about eating and exercise every single day and also one that my family could get to grips with but don’t necessarily presume that medication is the beginning of the end. It may give your body the little break it needs to get back on track. I’m not yet taking any but have been able to open my mind to it a little and thought perhaps others with small waist measurements should be aware.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

TofiEm – I have thought about you post quite a bit over the past few days. I wasn’t a tofi because I had 3 stones to lose but I do have a severely damaged pancreas that struggles sometimes even on the small amount of carbs I am eating. I totally agree with what you say that s mall amounts of medication may give your pancreas a chance to rest to allow function to be restored.

I believe that the BSD is the only way for me to eat – for ever – but I won’t rule out a little help from very small amounts of insulin in the future if pancreas starts to struggle more. If this happens I won’t think of it as failure but just a temporary measure in order to preserve my pancreas, eyesight and feet while my pancreas recovers better function again..

Thank you for your post – it is good to have a plan of action for all eventualities. I still have my insulin from last year stored in my fridge. I won’t throw it away now.

• posted by TofiEm
    on

Thanks KrysiaD – I’m glad you agree. It’s clearly such a complex area and looking for patterns can become quite an obsession I find so when your sugar levels react differently to two apparently identical days it can be so frustrating. I expect I may well try some medication to supplement the lifestyle approach but hopefully at much lower levels than I would have done without the BSD. I have struggled with the mental and emotional side of this being for life and saw a video on you tube that really helped – its by Bill Polonsky called Psyching Out Diabetes which I would recommend when it all feels a bit overwhelming.

• posted by issy
    on

Would love to hear some words of encouragement from others out there. I am 33, was diagnosed at 30 with type 2 after a routine blood test, 9 months after having my first daughter. I didn’t have GD in the first pregnancy, but I have had hypertension since I was in my early twenties, and I sometimes suspect that the blood pressure medication which was changed in my first pregancy triggered the diabetes.

Because my fasting levels were just over the line for a diagnosis, but my HBA1C is only slightly raised, I have not been on any diabetes medications, and was I guess a TOFI at 62 kilos and a BMI of 22 when first diagnosed. With my second pregnancy I was immediately on insulin, after early testing, and stacked on the weight, particularly around the middle. I hated insulin, had a lot of hypos, and hated testing my BGLs. Post-pregnancy my blood sugar levels were great, but they have crept up and I am currently still 75 kilos, BMI close to 27. I have finally stopped breastfeeding my son and immediately started the 800 calorie diet, after years of waiting for the right moment, because I am hopeful of beating this thing! But only four days in, I am feeling very low, almost depressed. I work from home as an editor, and I can barely concentrate, and have such low energy levels. This is really the only good time to be doing it, as I’ll be going back to full-time study and work next year.

But… I am doubting that I should keep going?

Please log in or register to post a reply.