Advice for starting requested

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bobobaron
    on

I am a 38yro Police Officer with ulcerative colitis and a horrendous shift pattern looking to start the BSD.

I note after some lengthy trawling of the forums there is no week by week shopping list which is a real shame as I have written up week 1 and it is pretty horrendous for me to try and split it up for just me as I regularly have to miss family meals as I would like to make a meal for 1 rather than 2 or 4 etc.

However, I was thinking that although there is the 8-week program/diary – is the main idea to eat anything from the book, but as long as it is only <800calories and ‘reasonably’ varied?

I only say that as it may be easier for me to make the same dinner and eat it 3-4 nights in a row, this will ensure I am not buying lots of food items that aren’t being used and going to waste, keeping cost down and doing my best to stick to the core value of the BSD?

Lunch options will most likely be skipped as I rarely;y get the opportunity anyway so I will be looking to maximize the best options for breakfast and dinner.

Any advice would be appreciated for this tired and weary officer.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Bobobaron
    Welcome to the forum. As a vegetarian it wasn’t possible for me to follow the 8 week program in the book, and I know that you will find others on the forum who didn’t follow the recipes.

I would recommend following the principles of the book, but you don’t have to follow the meal plan. You can use one of the apps (I like fatsecret) to record on your mobile phone everything you eat and drink. Use it to set daily targets on the level of carbs and calories. The secret is to add in the ingredients before making the meal to check on values rather than realising your mistake afterwards.

I would also suggest joining in the weekly thread. A new one starts each week. On it you will find a mixture of people ranging from experienced people who have reached their targets as well as newcomers.

• posted by freester
    on

Replying a bit late but hi and welcome.
    I was in a bit of a similar situation – but working away rather than shifts / no breaks.
    I would answer your question with a ‘yes’. As long as you’re averaging 800 cals a day and sticking to the principles of the ‘Way of Eating’ you’ll be fine. Try and vary your meals when you can, but when you can’t being able to get a portion of something you made a big batch out of the freezer is so welcome especially after a long day…

• posted by Bobobaron
    on

Many thanks to you both.

Let’s see if I can make the magic happen.

• posted by freester
    on

Just to add to my previous comment.

47 yrs old. 6’2″. Originally 17.5 stone. Started the 800BSD in January. For me it was about getting my Blood Pressure down GP was threatening to medicate and I’m sure T2 wasn’t too far away. I kidded myself I was fit as I am a keen cyclist. I used this as an excuse to eat / drink what I wanted but as my GP said you can’t exercise away from a bad diet.

If I am going to give you one piece of advice it is PLAN. Obviously you have a shift pattern so you know what you’re doing and when you can eat so plan your meals, shop for a week and stick to the plan. I had a spreadsheet when I planned the meals totted up the cals for the week and averaged. As long as you’re somewhere in the region of 800 a day over a week don’t sweat. Be prepared to feel tired, take a vitamin and iron supplement (liquid not tablet) if you need. I used recipes from the 800BSD book and recipe book.

I did feel hungry occasionally, but not often. I drank lots of green and black tea (without milk) to stave the pangs. The few times I felt mega hungry I snacked on nuts (as it says in the book if you snack better to snack on plan rather than off plan right?).

Some inspiration: I followed the 800 cals for 6 weeks. I cut the booze out during this period. Lost 2 stone, down 4 trouser waist inches. My BP was back to normal WITHIN THE FIRST WEEK. I’ve now been maintaining since mid Feb. My weight crept down a little more to 15 stone during maintenance but I’ve stabilised there now.

One more piece of advice. Don’t miss the food you can’t have look forward to the on plan stuff you can. I was a big bread / potato / pasta monster. But I don’t miss those. I enjoy the full fat yoghurt, the cheese, the eggs etc and look forward to those. Keep temptation out of your house the only time I’ve felt weak is when something off plan that my 8 yr old son is eating is left lying around. So far I’ve been restrained… Sorry for preaching but you won’t regret this.

Final thing, weigh yourself AND take some body measurements before you start.

Please log in or register to post a reply.