Advice for newbies

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Seadog
    on

Hi all. I’ve tried and failed several times at this WOE, and then berated myself for failing when I know it will be everything I want if I could just keep to plan. I’ve just read Michael’s other book, Clever guts, and it makes absolute sense to me. I’ve now realised that my biome was making me crave carbs, I needed to re-adjust the type and number of bacteria down there first, before I embarked on this wonderful plan. I’ve been introduced to the wonderful world of fermented foods, my wife thinks I have gone mad, I have a jar of sauerkrout and another of tomato salsa in the fridge, which I have concocted myself. While they were fizzing away on the side, the look of ‘Oh God what the hell is he doing now’ on her face was classic. Anyway, my creations are now thriving, and are being fed into my darkest regions every day. And the result…they work, simples. It’s obvious to me now that I needed to correct my biome before I embarked totally on the 800 cal plan.
    I can honestly say that I actually do not in any way shape or form, want carbs. I mean that. I went round to my sisters for dinner the other night, the sight of mashed potato was quite foul to be honest.
    Michael is a living genius, ( I know that he would’nt agree with this, but come on Michael accept a well deserved compliment !) he along with Prof Taylor and others have finally cut through the #rap, and given us the information we need. I am now following a very specific plan which encompasses all of the advice. I fast daily by not eating between 7pm and Noon the next day, I only have two meals a day, lunch being one of the clever guts ideas (Today I had the healing gut smoothie) and then a carb free low cal dinner, this keeps me under 800 cals and less than 20g of carbs a day. I’m doing really well, and feel the best I have done for a long time. The weight is coming off, but the best bit is that it is absolutely no effort, I simply do not want to eat rubbish, because I know what the consequences are. If you are thinking of starting this WOE, please check out the clever guts site as well, there’s a lot to take in but please, If I can be of any help, then ask.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Seadog – your post was really interesting.

I started making my own Kefir a few months before starting the BSD on 30th April 2016. Rather surprisingly it has been really easy to avoid the bad stuff as I used to be a complete carboholic. At the time I hadn’t realised that gut bacteria could influence food choices.

Since I read the clever guts book have added other fermented foods like sauerkraut and kimchi. I have gone from it being easy to say no to the bad stuff to actually feeling yuk when I look at it – just like you felt when the sight of mashed potatoes was quite foul. It does make avoiding the bad stuff really easy.

• posted by Michele62
    on

Hi KrysiaD and Seadog, I have also been making my own kefir and enjoying the results. I have half a cup for breakfast with some walnuts and berries instead of porridge and it sets me up for the day. I also have a third of a cup if I am feeling very hungry.

Somehow it does make it easier to make sensible food choices and enjoy them. What a great discovery. Everyone should try it. And making kefir is so easy the cat could do it!

Please log in or register to post a reply.