Advice for newbie BSD'er

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by happysnap
    on

Hi
    If you would be starting your BSD journey now, what advice would you give yourself?
    I would appreciate anything you might have learned in hindsight.
    I am specifically posting in this section, as I want to hear from people who have managed to get to their goal weight, improve their health, reverse T2 or whatever brought them to the BSD in the first place.
    I’ve been doing this for the last few weeks and am full of motivation. But I must be the worlds slowest loser as the weight is dropping oh so slowly. Nevertheless I am certainly seeing a difference in my clothes, and the fact that I am feeling so much better- healthier, mental fog has cleared, more energy, and blood sugars are no longer prediabetic, have convinced me that I am doing this for life.
    But I am also realistic- I am in this for the long haul, no matter how long it takes me to get there, so any advice, tips or inspiration from those who have Been There, Done That, would be immensely appreciated!!

TIA

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi happysnap, I would say to be prepared for a slow down in weight loss after around week 3 or 4. This is not a miracle diet and although you will lose quite a lot of weight in the first 3 weeks your body will get used to it and try to hold onto what it has. Also, you might (almost certainly will) get a plateau at some time when it seems you are stuck and never going to lose. This is normal due to what I have already said BUT I just want to say, this is NOT the time to give up. It will pass and your weight journey will continue. We have seen a lot of people come and go and I think one reason is that they become disillusioned when it slows down and dont stick it for the long haul.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I meant to say the big losses at the beginning are due to getting rid of the carbs and the loss is mainly water in week one – you will pee for England or whatever country you are in. This is different from other diets as the low carbs are the main cause of the water loss.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hi Happysnap
    My advice would be not to compare your weight loss to others. Like you I was a slow loser (I still am). When I started in 2017 lots of people achieved bigger and quicker losses than me. When you get to goal it doesn’t matter how long it has taken,just that you get there. Also, the scales are not the only way to see success. Clothes become loose, knees become knobbly and I noticed my shoulders became slim. Keep a pair of tight jeans on standby for a try on every few weeks. It took me 10 months to lose 42lb in 2017. I lost 17.5 lbs during the first 8 weeks. I did BSD. I kept my weight off for about four years and have gradually been putting on a few pounds so I am back to basics and it’s not as.easy second time round. Good luck with your weight loss journey. Lots of us have seen success with this way of eating. I wish I had not allowed any creepage!!!! I’ll be giving myself a 5lb tolerance in future and then I’ll get straight back to basics to get it off!

• posted by JGwen
    on

My advice to myself would have been that once I realised how Insulin Resistant I was / am I should have focused on reversing that rather than vainly hoping that by sticking with low carb and eating daily it would fix itself and taking the slow route on weight loss.

Because I was still IR when I caught Covid, and needed cough medication, throat pastels, as well as smoothing foods for a sore throat for so long while fighting Covid I put back on about half of the weight I had discarded. If I had had the courage to move on to fasting pre Covid, I don’t think that Covid would have hit me so hard, and I would not have put so much weight on as easily as I did.

Please log in or register to post a reply.