Advancing through April : One Week at a Time beginning 18th April 2023

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here we are folks .
    Thanks for continuing to contribute to the thread despite what is going on in your lives .

I have decided to invite some friends round for lunch on Sunday so one of hubby’s mates can get on the mower and cut the grass 😉
    Roast chicken and veg I think as I can put the chicken in the slow cooker .

I am keeping my eye on my Fit Mamie objective ! It’s getting warmer here so I have dug out lighter clothes .We are looking to plan our trip to Tasmania and Cairns which fills me with joy !

Keep posting folks.SG and Sunny are away on their travels right now but will no doubt pop in when they can .

Take good care everyone xx
    Wendy xx

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi all, RubyG and hubby still clinging on and keeping low carb the majority of the time, the occasional slip-up or planned deviation and hubby does have a beer or 2 on the weekend again (no alcohol at all at the beginning).
    I am battling the peri-menopausal hormonal roller-coaster and hot flushes, and had a really bad mood-swing/irrational/emotional weekend a few weeks ago. I also ate cake that weekend……….not sure if I ate cake because I was feeling rubbish or felt rubbish because I ate cake – probably both if I’m honest. It has strengthened my resolve though to stay low carb and focus on 16:8 TRE or OMAD during the week as the hormones seem to be better behaved that way too.
    And let’s be honest, a little bit of sunshine is certainly helping my mood, after what has felt like a long, miserable winter.
    Venison burgers (homemade) and salad for supper last night, no breakfast or lunch for me today, and planned salmon with veggies for supper tonight. I also foraged for some wild garlic on the weekend, so made a batch of wild garlic pesto last night and will make wild garlic butter tonight (butter is out the fridge softening) – a small amount lifts anything you add it to, and freezes really well to use throughout the year.
    Have a good week everyone!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

I have been wondering if there was any correlation between eating carbs and having hot flushes at night in bed. I have definitely noticed they are worse and more frequent when I have indulged.
    Went and had my diabetic annual review. My blood pressure is way too high and I have been sent home to take it twice a day for week and record it. I go back on Thursday so will know other results then. Finding the time to take it tricky and stressful. Can’t do it before work as it may make me late and if I was to get up earlier (I already get up at 6.20, don’t ask I take ages, have to do ice packs on my back and exercises for my back). I would be stressed about being late. Also as I don’t eat until 12 at work and I can’t take the blood pressure pill until I eat….. it’s complicated lol

• posted by PinkTulips
    on

Hi everyone, Just wanted to say hello. I started the Fast 800 BSD 1 week ago. I’m prediabetic with a high fasting BSL (6.9 on last formal). I am aiming to lose 12kgs which will put be back into the healthy BMI range but also need to loose a fair bit off my waist (95cm when starting)
    So far so good – I have been able to stick fairly well to the diet and calories without feeling very hungry. I definitely need to drink more water but have happily lost 3.8kgs in the first week, 3cm off my waist and my fasting BSL this morning was 5.4!!
    So excited to see how the rest of the diet goes!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Good morning & thank you Wendy for continuing this thread. I hope your husband will soon be home & enjoy cutting the grass himself 👍Enjoy your lunch with friends.
    I’m still getting back on track having gained 3.5 lbs over the last two weekends & a stressful last week. Over the last two days I’ve kept to 800 calories & low carb eating. My husband & I are off on a day out today with The Arts Society on a coach to visit Eltham Palace near London. It’s an English Heritage property now so hopefully the restaurant will have a decent food choice on offer for lunch then we can just have a bowl of soup for supper. The weather looks good with some sunshine but cool around 13-14c so I will dress in layers. It was originally a medieval monastery taken by King Henry VIII & then owned by the Courtaulds millionaire with famous Art Deco alterations & extensions so I’m told is a lovely place to visit.
    Onwards we all go & in a paper today is the latest research on the 800 calorie diet reversing Type2 Diabetes & says the NHS will now be adopting the soup/shake 800 calorie controlled diet as a method of a diabetes treatment! About flipping time is all I’m going to say😀
    Margaret

• posted by happysnap
    on

Hi all

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine as I am today!
    Margaret, I hope you enjoyed your day out yesterday- it sounds lovely!
    PinkTulips- welcome! Glad you seem to be doing so well and are seeing a result already in the BS department. I am pretty new here myself but the people here are fabulous- so supportive and helpful!

I am posting this again even though I’ve written before- because I am still struggling with what to eat!
    I’ve planned and prepped all my food for today, but according to MyFitnessPal, my total calories are 763, which is great. However the macronutrients are all too low- 56g of fat and 55g of protein when it says i should be having 106g of fat and 68g of protein. Total carbs is 20g which I am delighted with, so my question is what do I need to add into my diet to up the macronutrients without upping the calorie count too much??

I am briefly outlining my food plan for today and would greatly appreciate any guidance in tweaking it so I can be closer to my recommended macronutrient goals.

Breakfast: 1 tin of tuna in oil with 1 tbsp of mayo and sliced cucumbers.
    Lunch: iceberg lettuce with 50g cubed smoked salmon and 1tbsp mayo and 1 slice of American cheese
    Dinner: Stir fry with mushrooms, onions, peppers and cubes of turkey breast with olive oil.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sorry about the hot flushes and hormonal stuff, Ruby G . I think it is true that it is easy to give into comfort /emotional eating when we are not feeling 100%.That’s definitely true for me right now.I don’t feel like cooking after getting in from visiting hubby and also this yucky cough is tiring.
    Well done for pushing through and planning healthy meals.I like foraging too ( COVID lockdown started me on that) .I love nettle crisps ( like kale crisps) and we have an interesting wild mustard garlic plant here.

Have you heard of Dr Mindy Pelz? She has posted lots of videos and advice about low carb and fasting for ‘girls’ discussing how to address hormonal issues and monthly cycles . A bit too late for me 😉

Oh dear Elle-Mae I hope you can get your blood pressure sorted .Stress will increase it for sure Let us know how you get on today .

Welcome PinkTulips and well done on your progress so far .Stick with us .You will soon be able to get out of the pre diabetic range .

Margaret , hope you had a lovely day out at the English Heritage property and well done for getting back on track . A few pounds is no big deal and will soon be discarded .

Happysnap … my best advice is not to worry ! I used to get bogged down calculating macros and just gave up once I had understood the basic principles of staying as low carb as possible, cutting out white carbage ( bread, rice, pasta), fearing sugar rather than fat ..

Your meal plan is very low carb which is great but to be honest it doesn’t sound very satisfying ?? You could add some Greek yoghurt and a few berries , eggs , more green veg ? I honestly think you need to find what works for you without worrying too much about having the exact macros.
    Have you had a look at some of the Fast 8OO recipes ? I think you might get a bit bored unless you include a few more interesting choices .You need to feel satisfied and happy with your foods .You could also skip breakfast if that works for you and spread your calories over 2 meals . Let us know how you get on.

Have a good day everyone .A lovely sunny day here which is very uplifting !

• posted by Dylanredefined
    on

I’m on the 4th week of the diet and have to say I hate it. I have no energy or desire to do anything. Meal time is just disappointment on a plate. I have lost weight from 92 to 88 kg .
    Can’t wait till I can eat more. If I had to eat like this for the rest of my life I doubt I would bother going on. I’m always cold and miserable.

• posted by happysnap
    on

Wendleg, thank you so much for your response. I have ordered the recipe book and hope to find some good- and simple ones there. (I don’t have time for complicated recipes)! Thanks for your advice re macronutrients, i’m happy not to have to stress about them! Sounds crazy, but the only greek yogurts they sell in my area are fat-free!! I would love to find full fat ones in the stores…

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you Happysnap & Wendy & it was an enjoyable & interesting day out yesterday but a bit chilly to start with cloud but then the sun came out & it warmed up a little. I walked 7000 steps but because of limited food choice went for something hot which was bangers & mash with a few peas & carrots & then succumbed to a slice of lemon cake 🙀 supper was tinned tomato soup because of feeling rather tired & it was getting late when we got home. Needless to say I’m trying to redress that situation today with some kefir as a breakfast because I needed to take paracetamol & ibuprofen with sore arthritic thumbs this morning & needed something in my stomach to cushion the meds. I then went to my pain exercise class at the hospital & really pushed my leg exercises so feel pleased with myself. Food wise no lunch today & baked cod with red pesto on ratatouille & a large portion of kalettes for supper with possibly a small baked sweet potato & a piece of fruit or some blueberries keeping well below 800 calories & of course lots of water to drink. Not completely low carb but better than having a baked potato! Because I’m not pre-diabetic I am focused more on the total daily calories of 8-900 & keeping to full fat with protein & veg & have chosen to occasionally add in a more starchy root vegetables. Yesterday was not a good example of how I normally eat & tomorrow I will also fast from after supper today until supper tomorrow evening. My husband & I will be going to a bowls evening celebration dinner on Saturday so absolutely not ideal food & I will weigh on Saturday morning to post if I have managed to lose any weight this week.
    Good luck to everyone this week on like me doing the best you can & not always succeeding in resisting temptation 🤔
    Margaret 🍀🍀👍

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

The nurse was happy with my BP phew. My HB1AC was 59 which was ok because I had just had 10 days in Tenerife off plan and Easter so she will check again in 3 months.
    When I was there last week I told her all about 800 cal and low carb and MM. This week she told me she had ordered his book. I gave her a printout of my weight journey in graph form, the blood sugar diet website. Name of Dr Roy Taylor, and Jason Fung and told her about The Obesity Code and also the Freshwell App which is low carb and made by 2 doctors. She is planning on doing this woe. Although she does have 3 children under 4 😱😃. A medical convert, let’s hope she spreads the word 😁😁😁😁

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

👏👏👏 very well done Elle-Mae you are a star⭐️⭐️

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

I have been spending so many pennies I decided to stand on my scales & this past week have lost 3.5lbs of my April weight gain of 3.75lbs so nearly back to where I was. I feel delighted with this although so far this month has been rather stressful & not good food wise. I also worked really hard on the exercise machines in the physio pain clinic gym yesterday and that might also have helped.
    Margaret

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Same here with the fluid loss, Margaret. Although I haven’t weighed myself, so I don’t know how much weight I am down. I was up several times in the night last night, which is very unusual for me. Then this morning I had a manual lymphatic drainage appointment. The therapist tried a different technique, and it seems to have worked as I’ve been losing even more fluid since. She wants to measure my legs next session so that we have some baseline measurements to determine if I’m actually losing any size as well.
    I made a broccoli and cheddar frittata for dinner tonight. Lots left for meals over the next couple of days too. I need to give the fridge a good clean and clear out tomorrow. Daffodils are blooming like crazy now and I need more room in the fridge to hold them until I can sell them. I sold two bunches today, so that is a start. I’m hoping that doing an inventory of what I have and what needs to be used up will inspire some good meals this weekend.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Very pleased for you Arcticfox that your lymphatic drainage is working for you👍
    It seems to be normal for me now to have to get up during the night to spend pennies which is interrupting my sleep but I can mostly get back to sleep now but it does increase after eating carbs or drinking wine which can be a diuretic 🙁 I hope you have a good weekend & I will be going in search of some trailing blue & white flowers to plant in a couple of half moon wall planters in the front garden for the Coronation weekend to complement the banners & bunting that we will be putting up😀 I have already bought some red plants to plant at the top. However also cleaning out my fridge sounds a great idea👍
    Margaret

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi
    I feel I should start:
    My name is Lucia and I am unhealthy
    I don’t know what my weight is .. I guess. 230 pounds and eat rubbish etc.
    the sad thing about it is , i was on this forum years ago with captain lynnn, sunshine girl , bill etc. doing ok but in baby steps

I have let life get in the way – no excuse
    So here I am with my 1st post
    Grateful for any contact.
    Kind regards,

Lucia

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Welcome back Lucia

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Elle-mae

I am not prepared
    Not sorted shopping
    But
    Here I am

Regards
    Lucia

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

It’s a start Lucia, you have taken the first step. The first step being in the right frame of mind. For me I find planning is the key. Then once I have planned I don’t have to think, which for me means not having to make choices, I just follow the plan. I wish you the best of luck. Do post on here with any questions.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Elle-mae

Any simple suggestions for meals please?

Regards
    Lucia

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Lucia
    I would suggest you buy the 8 week Blood Sugar diet cookbook, I also have the other Fast Diet cook books. I can suggest meals and I am lucky in that I like most of the foods in the recipes.
    For breakfast I have either raspberries or blueberries with a couple of very generous tablespoons of Greek yogurt topped with a tablespoon of mixed seeds and a sprinkle of yogurt.
    Lunch – today I had spinach leaves with bacon, a few cherry tomatoes, pine nuts, cannellini beans, avocado dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    Dinner – crushed cooked peas, mixed with feta and mint with a pan fried lamb steak. I served it with some quinoa.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi

I bought the books a few years ago. I will have to get them out of storage.
    Thanks for the suggestions though

Regards

Lucia

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello Lucia
    I find it helpful to remove from sight in the kitchen any temptations of food or drink & put it away in a cupboard & also plan & calorie count what I’m going to eat before I eat it. At the beginning of the Fast Diet Cookery books are lists of store cupboard & freezer foods to buy so that you always have a quick protein option to eat. Eggs & tinned pulses, tuna & salmon can make fast meals as well as salad stuff & vegetables in the fridge.
    Good luck & also drink plenty of water & try to not snack between meals. I’m sure you will soon get into a routine you can stick to & enjoy.
    Margaret

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi all

213.8 pounds or 15.2 stones or 97.0 kilos
    So I have started. Day one
    My goal is that .8 of a pound by Friday – a small goal that’s doable
    Food wise – my goal just for this morning is, no chocolate , no sweets no bread no cake no rice no puddings etc – again a small doable goal
    Just looked in the fridge and cupboards – fresh eggs and mushrooms – also plenty of frozen veg. Tinned soup if stuck.
    Exercise- go up and down my stairs (15 treads) twice extra by noon . When I do more I will put a chair or seat at the top and bottom of the stairs to rest on. If I get stuck or tired half way I will sit on the stairs. No excuses.
    Then repeat the above for this afternoon.
    As I get used to the withdrawal of sugar and carbs I will take it up a tiny level. The worst time is after the first loss you plateau or gain as you body adjusts this can be the failing point for many but I know about it and hopefully will get through it.
    Have a good first day everyone
    Regards
    Lucia

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi Margaret

Thanks for your help – it will all help me.

Just then I was measuring how much decaf black tea I have 300ml
    I want to do one tea then one water so I eventually cut down my tea as I drink a lot of it but with milk
    Climbed the stairs twice (extra) done tick

Seeing how far I can go with drinks before I am hungry.
    Then eggs and mushrooms
    Then I will have cauliflower cheese – a little cheese with a lot of cauli… I could use up that onion.
    I will have a good idea of how hungry I get and what satisfied my hunger.
    Watching that point eight of a pound.

This week is my conversion week … slowly replacing with bsd.
    My aim or target this week is to stay off the sweets chocolate and bread cakes etc . If I achieve that it will be HUGE
    Oh and stop adding to my weight. Baby steps for me so I don’t get flustered and can’t cope.

Grateful for any and all help
    Regards
    Lucia

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello Lucia
    It all sounds very positive but just take it one day at a time to reduce the pressure on you & if you feel hungry drink some water because thirst can be mistaken as hunger. I’m also guilty of having milk in my coffee especially first thing in the morning & as far as I understand any added milk breaks a fast. I do TRE (time restricted eating) because I don’t eat breakfast to extend my overnight fast but often succumb to a coffee with milk instead of a herbal tea or black coffee which breaks my fast too early instead of waiting until 11-0am for my first white coffee🤔 But I also just take it one day at a time trying to do my best which is all any of us can do😀 I’m going to be using up some elderly vegetables today to make courgette & prawn soup for lunch & ratatouille to go with some leftovers from yesterday for supper in the fridge because we will be staying away for a couple of days which will challenge what low carb food might be available to eat. So less to eat today! A rumbling stomach is a good sign your body is adapting so just ignore it & drink some water!👍
    Good luck with the rest of the week & keep your eye out when this thread will be changed to week beginning 24th April when Wendy updates it.
    Margaret

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone

Quick welcome to new posters

Is Dylanredefined still around ?

Hi Lucia et welcome back to the forum .I remember captain lynn from a while back .Sunshine girl is still with us although on holiday in the UK at the moment . Don’t focus on life getting in the way and that stuff, give yourself a pat on the back for wanting to get your health back on track .
    As Elle-Mae as suggested, planning is key . If you haven’t got the time or energy to prepare a recipe, eggs are always a great stand by especially as you have some frozen veg to hand . You mention resisiting sweets, choc, bread ,cakes etc.If they are in your house and accessible could you bear to chuck them out or give them away ? Carbage is not your friend and you need to keep carbs really low to manage blood sugar and get into fat burning .
    I can’t drink tea with milk any more but I have a bit of cream in coffee .If you like black coffee, some recommend adding a bit of salt to make it less bitter .
    Definitely no need to get flustered, Lucia, you can cope and we will help you .I would say not to put youself under too much prressure .You have to be in the right mindset for any major changes to be effective .Trust yourself !

As Margaret mentioned, I will be setting up a new weekly thread later on this evening

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello
    I just wanted to pass on my ‘rude awakening’!
    I read two articles by Chris Van Tulleken in the mail on Saturday and Sunday about UPF’s … ultra processed foods. They were such an eye opener.
    I thought I read labels pretty well and didn’t buy food with too many ‘additives’. Oh dear! How wrong was I!
    I watched somebody eat ice cream today and thought ‘if only you knew’!
    Read these articles and low carb will just ‘happen’ when you cut out all the UPFs.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

I have pre ordered the book Verano, looking forward to reading it 😁

• posted by Verano
    on

Elle-Mae enjoy. Let us all know what you think about the full text. I’ve only read a smidgen and it was a real eye-opener!

• posted by wendleg
    on

New thread time folks !

Please log in or register to post a reply.