Achieved Remission – What now ?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Benns
    on

I would like some advice from anyone out there, following the BSD I recently was told I am now officially in remission by the diabetic nurse, but am not sure what that actually means ?
    Whilst I realise that my weight loss (2 stone approx) has been a major part of this, can I now within reason eat what I want as long as I dont gain weight ? I dont know if I can now eat small amounts of pasta/rice, a slice of bread and a cake occasionally ? or whether my body will never be able to process carbs normally ? I weigh myself every morning as part of my routine and always make sure I stay the same and if I gain a 1lb get it straight off.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Benns, there are plenty of people here who have had similar results to you. Being diabetic for 14 years I have not been able to reach that wonderful goal. I would suggest that you can relax your diet a bit but remember what gave you the diabetes (or pre-) in the first place is the thing you have got rid of to reach this goal – WHITE CARBS. I guess it is like smoking or drinking, if you go back to old habits you will go back to the problems it caused. There is a thread for people on maintenance so you might want to have a look at that and ask the question in there for more information and advice.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Benns,
    You have ALWAYS been able to “process carbs normally”. The problem is that carbohydrate drives your body’s production of insulin and the more insulin you have the more you store fat.
    You can’t see it but all the people eating carbs like “normal people” are doing massive damage to their brains and bodies — the research (peer reviewed and now rather large body of tease arch) is that the damage is being caused by the high levels of INSULIN, not the glucose as we have been told, and that is occurring years and years before we have physical evidence we can see.
    Keep your carbs low — do it for life — you are likely to avoid not just gaining weight but a whole host of other diseases, including cancer and diabetes.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I hate auto correct — it’s a large body of “research” not “tease arch”

Please log in or register to post a reply.