A long way to go!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kentoldlady
    on

Hello all.
    I am new on here, and want to keep a sort of diary, if this is the right place?
    I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic , with hypothyroidism and hypertension on 26th june 2017. And weighed 101kgs.

After a false start I have decided that this is the way to go.

I currently weigh 89kgs and plan to follow this woe for quite a while.

Would love comments, stories etc and love reading all of your comments in the forum.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello Kentoldlady, welcome aboard. Sorry to hear about your diagnosises. Keep your own diary and others will jump in (like me) but have a look around the different threads to see if there is any information you can pick up. Also, if you have a question check in the search at the top of the page, you will probably find it has been answered a hundred times before and if not there is always someone here who can help. Good luck.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Kentoldlady – I’d like to add my welcome too. Hopefully using this woe will help with your recently diagnosed type 2, certainly others have had wonderful success and there is no reason why you cannot make great changes for yourself too.

Do shout out if you have questions or need support. Make good use of the forum, as there is a wealth on information, advice and support here and it has kept many of us plugging away, when we might otherwise have given up. Be sure to post any small success as we all like an excuse to celebrate.

Best of luck to you …

• posted by Happyfeet
    on

Just popping in to say well done on your impressive loss so far! Hypo too, sucks doesn’t it, best advice I can give on that is I felt much better when I got to the top of my t4 range. Also going really low carb (under 20g a day) messed with me a bit and I felt really cold and ill so if you start feeling rough get your thyroid checked, some hypos seem to love low carb others not so much. Also magnesium, vitamin d, iron and selenium are also used in the conversion of thyroid hormones (can’t say I’m on top of that yet but working on it)

Best of luck xx and keep diarying!

• posted by Kentoldlady
    on

Thank you all for the welcome.
    Happyfeet, may I ask if your gp has been helpful with testing for other deficiencies?
    Iwas told about the hypothyroidism on thephone and the only person I have spoken to at the surgery has been the diabetic nurse. No info about the hypothyroidism from them at all, so it has been a steep learning curve from dr google.

I have managed to talk the dn into retesting my thyroid levels, but I have not been able to book another appt until the end of August to discuss the results.

Feeling a bit on my own, tbh. I have joined a few forums and they have been full of some really helpful people, so that has been a real bonus.

• posted by Happyfeet
    on

No help from them I’m afraid, no-one explained what it is what the values mean, nada. I actually moved to the middle east and have private health insurance here and saw an endocrinologist. Printouts of my blood results, discussing how I felt etc. He whackd up my vitamin D as well. I think you are entitled to have a copy of your results (may have to pay for it). Don’t let them fob you off, i found out after moving that my gp had me literally at the bottom of my range. That explained why I felt so awful despit apparently being on a good dose.

If you don’t feel good, tell em. I’m a lot more assertive now that I understand a bit more about how thyroid hormones work. And no you won’t have a heartattack or get osteoporosis by being at the top end of the range. Honestly, I had to go away and do my own reading to get a grip with the whole thing but the most frustrating thing was the gps not bothering to show me what my actual results were and not really interested in how I felt as long as I was within range. I actually saw an endo in the uk on the nhs and he said he wouldn’t have bothered treating me as I was only slightly outside of normal values. At this point I had been getting to the end of the day and slurring my speech cos I was so damn tired.

Don’t worry about making a nuisance of yourself, do the reading ask if they check t4, t3 etc (unfortunately they don’t do reverse t3 here grr) and be honest if you feel like you could be better. because I hadn’t read enough about it And I had no idea what normal felt like I really didn’t have the confidence to say “actually I’m still a bit crappy”. If you are either on too high a dose or too low you are going to feel it. It is so frustrating to have to wait but you will get there x

Lol sorry that was a bit ranty, I just had years of feeling so blah I don’t want tht for you. Also there are online vit d testing sites in the uk as well where you just post them a pin prick of blood and they’ll send you the results. The vitamin d really helped me with muscle pain.

• posted by Kentoldlady
    on

Happyfeet. Thank you!!!
    I think I have had this for a long while and like you have no idea what “well” feels like. I very much doubt that the gp will be happy to have me anywhere but at the lowest dose for my range because he has been so very unhelpful so far.
    They have been more helpful with the type 2 diabetes but I think thats because there is a financial incentive. Even tho there are well proven links between t2d and hypo nobody at the surgery will discuss them both at once.
    I have had to beg the nurse for an earlier blood test which was done last month but cannot have an appt till the end of August to discuss it.
    Sorry for the moan, but it feels like there is a magic tablet that would.make me feel.better that I can see but am not allowed to have because my gp is not interested.
    Anyway, at least I know what is wrong now and am doing what I can to help myself. And I have meet some very helpful people like you. Thanks again.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi Kentoldlady, I also have an under active thyroid but in my case it’s because half was removed for cancer (turned out not to be cancer luckily). So with only half left I am on thyroxine for life.

Initially my doctor said the half that was left would be able to cope and wouldn’t prescribe anything. Or do T4 or T3 levels. 6 months of steadily feeling worse and weight gain. Fortunately I work in a hospital, I’m a midwife, so I pursuaded one of the doctors there to order the test for me, result was so low it hardly registered. Anyway after lots of to-ing and fro-ing and trial & error I have been on a stable dosage for 10 years. It’s a lot higher than expected for someone with a functioning half thyroid though. I am in Australia so our system is different but can you find another GP? You need someone who will listen and work with you to find the best regime for you. I wish you all the best, I remember how awful I felt before it was sorted out.

• posted by Kentoldlady
    on

Hello again!
    Just popped back to update this diary. Still at it, still doing lchf, still trying to keep calories low.
    Now weigh 78kgs. Blood sugar levels averaging out at about 6.5 post meal, going to about 5.5 fasting. Having a problem with dawn phenomenon bit hoping it will drop more as my weight goes down.
    Now taking 2 metformin a day, but would like to continue with that for all the other supposed benefits.

No luck trying to get my levothyroxine raised. I am “in normal range” and thats that. Have another appt in 2 weeks and am going to start crying. If anyone has any ideas about how to get the gp to raise my dose so that I am having better numbers and yet still be in normal range I would be very grateful.

Hope you are all well.

Please log in or register to post a reply.