800 v 600 help

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Penny62
    on

We are now on week 10 and going great. Hubby really into it. Great weight loss and blood sugar drop. But hubby now doing 600 per day. I’m making sure his diet is good, but worried it’s too low. I seem to be losing more weight & eating more calories. Anyone advise me please.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’m no expert but it could be the ‘famine response’ where the body shuts down some functions to keep what nutrition there is for the most important functions. The whole metabolism slows down and I can’t imagine it being a productive way of losing weight if this is the case. I’m not sure what effect it would have on blood sugar levels. I think 600 per day as part of a 5:2 diet is okay, but not continuously.

I tend to prefer going over rather than under the 800, depending on what nutrition I need, to try to avoid this response.

• posted by Penny62
    on

Thanks for the reply. I’m with you but hubby still wants to go on using 600. It’s tricky to make meals varied etc etc and so low calorie.

• posted by Frog
    on

why not let him take responsibility for meal preparation if he is being so exacting?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Penny, yes, let him do his own meals. Also, I would suggest that rather than reduce his calories he reduces his carbs. If he is already on 50 grams try to get it down to 30. 600 calories is not going to make him loose quicker.

Mixmatch, if you look at the book again, you will see that the ‘famine response’ is a myth talked about by MM. It does happen but only when you are truly starving. See page 99.

• posted by Penny62
    on

Thanks for that. I will look at the book again and study the carb intake.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I haven’t got the book, although I read a few pages of my friend’s copy when she got it. I have only been BSD’ing my diet with the help of the forum, and other people’s helpful links, since mid-June. I always believed that if it existed it must be linked to metabolic syndrome, so good to know it apparently doesn’t ☺

on

Mixmatch, you are going to have to teach me how to do the smiley faces, I only know πŸ™‚

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

The tablet I used has a selection pre-prepared, although it sometimes seems to mix them up randomly, I tried to select the standard smiley. β˜ΊπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜€πŸ˜πŸ˜‚πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜„πŸ˜…

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

The first one was the standard smiley, so looks like some sort of bug. πŸ™‚

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I just have to do the standard one the old fashioned way. ; ) should be πŸ˜‰

on

Thats the only one I know how to do and I am using a French keyboard. Doh, it’s not the same.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I too think 600 is too low PENNY..as SUNSHINE said,it wd be better for OH to drop the carbs rather than the cals.
    On the original 5:2, way of eating,yr hubby wd have had 600 cals BUT only for two days a week,the rest of the week just eating carefully but not cal counting
    However if he wants to continue,he is an adult and responsible for himself,and while it may be worrying for you, i wd cook as it suits you and not try to cater for what he wants,which after all is not what BSD suggests and as you mentioned,makes it very tricky for you
    Like FROG said,if thats what he wants,let him sort himself out. BSD can be stressful and exhausting at times trying to juggle meals to get the cal/ carb you want without having to take hubbys extra demands into account. X

• posted by Frog
    on

sorry if it sounded a bit harsh Penny – it would be worse if he was eating piles of chips and pasta!
    However a simple way (other than him taking over cooking responsibilities) surely is just to serve him smaller portions (or even easier, serve him the same, and if he only wants to eat 600 calories, he can leave a quarter of the meal)

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

FROG! That is the simple pimple solution. OH gets a plate of food and leaves a quarter,makes such sense! What dyou think Penny? X

• posted by Penny62
    on

Thanks for the idea’s everybody out there. Will definitely look at carb numbers etc and also the smaller portion idea😁😁😁

• posted by Penny62
    on

Anyone got any ideas for a bread substitute??? Have seen some recipes for “could bread”. Has anyone had a go.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Type cloud bread in the SEARCH box

See what you think.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Penny
    there are lots of threads on alternate breads, as well as the cloud one – as Igor’s said, the search box is invaluable, and will bring up a wealth of comments.
    Personally I tried hard to get away from having bread with everything, and don’t think I had any at all in the first 10 weeks or so.
    Habbit/Addiction is not totally broken – I was eating out last night, carefully ate the smoked salmon starter and left the sourdough toast that it was served on.
    Before the plates were taken away, I tried a tiny bite
    then another one…..
    slippery slope
    Thankfully, it was only a very thin, small slice

When I started BSD, I’d have different carbs to replace bread
    So where I really missed toast when I had egg for breakfast, I’d have it with a small portion of low sugar baked beans. After the first couple of weeks, I felt less of a need for that, and now I have the egg with avocado, and either smoked salmon, ham or bacon – and shopping yesterday I came across some tasty looking asparagus, so will have that for brunch.

Please log in or register to post a reply.