800 calories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by brrrrr
    on

Hi there,
    I am nearly four weeks in. I love food and cooking so I have found it challenging but I am sticking with it for lots of general health reasons. I have got through the low energy element of cutting out carbs and I am getting better at modifying the way I cook – I have a young family so cooking two meals is not a great option for me.

This is what I want to say — I am not at all sure if I am sticking exactly to 800 calories. I am staying off carbs, sugar and booze. And I really want to make it too 8 weeks and then not flick back to my old habits. I have lost some weight and that is great.

The only thing is – in a way I find it not so helpful to constantly be adding up calories in my head and referring to websites for calorie counts every meal time. It’s an extra step and a bit of a hassle to always be online. And I have this feeling that I might be “doing it wrongly’ if my meals don’t add up to 800 calories which makes me feel like it will all go to the dogs when my 8 weeks is up.

So I guess I’m saying – just how important is the 800 calorie count? I hope I am not sounding neurotic, I just want to get the most out of this effort and ensure it is not wasted as an isolated event, there is no way I would spend this much time paying attention to the calorie content of my meals as a matter of course.

I hasten to add, I am a healthy eater (generally) and rarely eat cake/biscuits etc.

Thanks for listening.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi brrrrr – not everyone is sticking strictly to the 800cals, however, it is important to keep an eye on the carbs. If you can keep them to 50g or under per day, you can probably get away with not paying too close attention to the calories.

Personally, I want to know my intake of both cals and carbs and have found that having tracked them for weeks, there’s quite a lot of stuff I don’t need to look up again. It’s also training me to recognise appropriate portion sizes. For me, to get maximum from the BSD, I believe I need to be around the 800 cals mark each day – not that it always happens, but I average out pretty well over the period of a week. Last week for instance, I was well over on three days, but under on the other four, so my average calorie intake per day over the week was 769.

If you want to track, could you plan the meals to day before and calculate the cals and carbs in preparation for the day to come? Bottom line is, everyone has to fine a way to make the BSD work for them, so it’s entirely up to you how you choose to use it.

Hope it goes well and you see the results you are hoping for – keep us post.

• posted by brrrrr
    on

Thank you. Yes I am figuring out portion sizes – that’s the trick
    In terms of trying to do this by feel. And yes, I think the days I fear I might have blow out the 800 calories, I have been able to compensate with less calorific days. Can someone give me some kind of indication of what 50gs of carbohydrates ‘looks’ like? Its that possible? I am committed to
    sticking to this!!

• posted by Middleage1
    on

Hi brrrrr

Don’t get hung up on calorie counting. Yes count but it’s not a precise science. Just remember not to eat too few calories and if you go over slightly this doesn’t matter. You will know the difference between going over slightly and say eating 1300 or 1400 calories. You will know that there is a vast difference between the two. Concentrate more on not eating too many easily digestible carbs and eating good proteins and fibres instead.

• posted by brrrrr
    on

thank you

Please log in or register to post a reply.