800 calorie recipe book

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Oldtimeram
    on

Hi

There seem to be several 800 calorie recipe books available. Which one is the best one to get?
    I did read that some of the calorie counts on some of the recipes were inaccurate, but I am not sure which book this refers to.

Any help would be appreciated

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi oldtimeram and welcome to the site. There are two main books for this diet – the 8 week BDS diet recipe book and the Fast 800 recipe book – both by Dr Claire Bailey and a partner. She is doctor Mosleys wife. Both books are slightly inaccurate in calories etc but mainly due to some recipes calling for things like a medium chicken breast rather than the actual weight, or a portion of this or that. What you need to do is log the exact ingredients into a calculator (fatsecret, myfitnesspal or other) or just type nuturitionly info and the name of the food into your browser and do your own adding up.

I wouldnt worry too much if you are few more calories here and there as other days you will be a few less. Another good resource is thedietdoctor website with more info on good and bad carbs.

• posted by Oldtimeram
    on

Thanks very much for the advice, it’s much appreciated

Graham
    (Oldtimeram)

• posted by RubyG
    on

Reported

• posted by waveCrest
    on

Hi Graham,
    I have the “The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet Recipe Book” by Clare Bailey.
    I use it for ideas rather than follow it religiously (e.g. I’m allergic to eggs).
    I use myFitnessPal to log everything that goes down my throat. It’s gives a reasonably accurate view of calories, carbs, fat and protein. It also give an indication of sodium, potassium, vitamins, etc. which I found useful. If you use a combination of the app for logging and the website for reporting and analysis, you don’t really need to pay a subscription. It’s easy to use and has kept me on track. If there’s dishes you like, you can add all the ingredients as a recipe so they become a one-shot entry. When I have had blips, I can usually determine the cause from the myFitnessPal logs.
    I’ve also been logging my weight in an excel spreadsheet every morning. It reports the loss for the day, total loss, % loss since start, % loss in last 7 days, predicts a date for my target milestone weights and predicts a weight at the end of the eight week period. I find this stuff motivational.

From a bloke perspective: The diet has and is working in terms of weight loss. I’m on day 37 and I’m down from 135kg to 121.5kg which is a 10% loss. So far, it’s been relatively easy – I don’t really have hunger. Sometimes feel a bit weak and sometimes a bit constipated even though I drink 3.5l of water a day now. My only concern is that my fasting BG tests are still hovering in the mid to high 6’s (mmol/L) after an initial rapid drop from the high 9’s. (I have tried waiting until later in the morning, using a variety of meters & calibrating again a test in the doctor’s surgery)

Best wishes! I hope your experience is as positive as mine.

• posted by waveCrest
    on

Oh and the ISBN references to the book are:
    ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 9781780722931
    ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1780722931
    It’s big and has coloured pictures so I would stick with the printed version rather than an eBook
    It’s currently £10.66 on Amazon for the paperback version.

• posted by FosterWest
    on

Thanks!

Please log in or register to post a reply.