8 WEEKS FAST 800 : WEEK 2 :ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING 10th JANUARY 2023

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here is our merry band

wendleg
    sunshine-girl
    SunnyB
    caronl
    Verano
    Elle-Mae
    Tulip1
    WindyJulz
    Wendy1947
    arcticfox
    RubyG
    Dreamscometrue

If anyone else would like to join us you are very welcome . This is Week 2 for us but you can join anytime.

Remember too that if last week didn’t go exactly to plan then just put it behind you and move on .New week , new start .

Please post when you can to share your experience .We have had interesting discussions about cholesterol, TRE and we all have something to contribute.

All the best for this coming week

Wendy,sunshine-girl and SunnyB

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Oh crumbs, just wrote a long post, but somehow lost it!

Anyway this is the jist. Am almost 2 stone heavier than I was last February and sick of it. I have had a bit of a pattern with this way of eating. Rapid success and then I fall off the wagon, blaming the pandemic, fertility treatment , you name it. However I’ve had enough. I’m getting concerned that if I don’t lose the weight now, I might just get bigger and that may (as I age) begin to have an impact on my health.

Lovely to see so many familiar faces, looking forward to hearing from all you and cheering you all along. This is week one for me and am happy to be back!

on

Oh crumbs, just wrote a long post, but somehow lost it!

Anyway this is the jist. Am almost 2 stone heavier than I was last February and sick of it. I have had a bit of a pattern with this way of eating. Rapid success and then I fall off the wagon, blaming the pandemic, fertility treatment , you name it. However I’ve had enough. I’m getting concerned that if I don’t lose the weight now, I might just get bigger and that may (as I age) begin to have an impact on my health.

Lovely to see so many familiar faces, looking forward to hearing from all you and cheering you all along. This is week one for me and am happy to be back!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hear you Russian, with regard to making excuses…a trap easily fallen into and one I’m attempting to avoid myself. Would like to say I’m here front and centre, but last week was a write off, so can’t claim to be walking the walk right now. I allowed life to get in the way last week … I’m fully aware that it was solely a lack of focus and will power on my part and I’m annoyed with myself. Not going to waste energy on berating myself about poor decisions though, that won’t change anything or help going forward.

Happy to say I managed a 22hr fast from last evening to this. Have eaten minimally this evening and plan to do another fast through to tomorrow evening. However all of this is by way of damage limitation, as it’s my birthday later this week and things will inevitably get indulgent. We’re entertaining a friend on Wednesday, then going to my parents on Thursday and will eating out over the weekend, so although I will try to be mindful, I won’t be counting cals or carbs.

Currently my plan is to do my best to keep a good measure of control while not able to weigh, measure and record for most of this week and then knuckle down properly next week.🤞🏻

Wishing everyone a good BSD week this week.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hello y’all.
    So today is technically day 2 of full commitment. I was mostly on plan last week but had a boozy ladies lunch out on Saturday so knew it was only a practice week. I am all social-ed out and have nothing planned for the next 8 weeks so I’m on board and committed. Yesterday was spot on, whoop, today, well Ive had 2 white coffees as I’m feeling proper sleepy and I’m working from home which is always a little harder for me, but food and exercise is planned. no excuses, I’m just getting it done.
    Interestingly i was same weight on Friday just past as i was on 20th Dec so christmas mitigation was reasonably successful i would say….. so onward!

Lovely to see folk back in and a bit more active on here, it is such a supportive group so delighted to be part of it.
    Hi-five RR to week one and getting going, happy to be back is right, our bodies will thank us!
    Good fasting SunnyB, I find it a good way to balance known indulgence too. I’m hoping to get back to longer fasts again (have done some decent 22hrs over the past month) but i’m aware that consistency is going to be my first priority – low carb, low cals, back to ketosis – then fasting should come more naturally…… just getting through the first 5 days is always the challenge for me. Planning to keep evenings busy – walking in the dark, gym, swim etc so as to prevent evening snacking mindset…. fingers crossed anyway.

Thanks again Wendy for being awesome and keeping us going….

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

A good first week with 3 1/2 lbs down of the 5 gained over Christmas. A bit of a blip yesterday as I couldn’t go home as early as I had planned to get my lunch as garage hadn’t finished fixing my car so gave in to lunch out (it was 3.30 by then I had tried to hold out). I had a coffee and a wrap, took 2 bites of wrap then scraped out the filling and just ate that so 🤞it wasn’t too damaging.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi.

Sunny you are absolutely right not to beat yourself up it’s a total waste of energy. Best to use the energy to plan and move forward.

I had a good first four days and have lost my one holiday pound plus one more. I know it’s really early days but I’m managing TMAD without any problem. I’m not weighing or recording because sometimes I find it counter productive. I tend to eat as much as I can to get to my calorie count each day and I find I become obsessed. I’m doing my very best to just relax into eating well but mindfully.

I have set my goal, which is quite large, but, it will get me back to a few pounds under my lowest ever weight on BSD. Fortunately I never put back all the weight I lost originally but now really is the time to reverse that train and start walking down the hill again.

Have a good week everyone. One day at a time!

on

Woohoo great start 4 and a quarter pounds off already. I know most of that is water, but it is v motivating. I am working from home today, which means I could have brunch, which enabled me to fast for 15 hours too, which I know had worked in the past for me.

on

Woohoo great start 4 and a quarter pounds off already. I know most of that is water, but it is v motivating. I am working from home today, which means I could have brunch, which enabled me to fast for 15 hours too, which I know had worked in the past for me.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, I am still here. I am feeling so much better having got rid of that cough and cold. However, today my surgeons secretary rang me to say my op is moved to 23rd. I am assuming it is due to the 7 days of strikes by medical staff and laboratories. I have had to rearrange my covid test and my blood tests but I have a lovely nurse coming to the house and she must be so used to this she just laughed and said- see you on the 20th. Not good for the mindset but I am doing okay. The only thing is I would like to do some exercise. As I am at 75% risk of having a stroke I mustn’t do anything too strenuous. I could go swimming but would hate anything to happen while in the pool or even driving. All the effort to get hubby to let me have the car and now I need him to take me everywhere.

Good news so far is I have lost 2kgs – in just over a week – that takes me to what I weighed when I saw the anaesthetist before Christmas. He needs to know exactly how much I weigh for the amount of drugs to put me out 🙂

Great to see so many of you joining us – keep on keeping on.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Gosh I’ve just found this new thread I’ve been posting on last weeks one!!🤔🙁
    Well my first day went well but I find it rather confusing about protein & being able to eat enough because eg 100g of raw chicken has around 30g of protein!! I know meat includes liquid/water & other nutrients but some saved recipes I have don’t include a protein count. I have just ordered some protein packs from 800 site & have also just received some shakes & actually had one for lunch with oat milk which helps boost that. Also has anyone used Konjac noodles & what did you think? I’m cooking the Leek & salmon quiche in a dish for supper served with a salad.
    Good luck to everyone starting this week like me!
    Margaret

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Margaret … konjac noodles are okay as a filler but are really tasteless and have an odd texture. I’ve very occasionally used them as a pasta substitute, but actually I find green beans or broccoli a better choice.

Personally, I don’t get too hung up on the macros and just track calories and carbs … I’ve always found if I look after those, the pounds head in the tight direction.

• posted by Verano
    on

Margaret take a look at Diet Doctor’s Food Navigator it gives a great rundown of the carbs, protein etc but I have to agree with the others don’t get too hung up on macros.

Good to hear everyone is getting back to pre-Christmas numbers. Now it’s just onwards day by day and we will all get there in the end.

S-g sorry your surgery date has been changed but in the fullness of time you will get there!

Steamed smoked haddock, celeriac and cauliflower mash and sprouts for us tonight. I always cooked smoked haddock in milk but last time I steamed it and it was so much nicer. So trying it steamed again tonight.

Konjac I only tried them once and the smell was so awful I couldn’t eat them. I’m with s-g I put curry, bolognese etc over green vegetables, beans or broccoli or morning glory or courgetti spaghetti …. much better than rice or pasta.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Wow 4.5 pounds off Russianroulade well done!!
    Thank you for your replies SunnyB & Verano & I suppose I was just surprised reading about protein in the Keto diet book. I will however try to do more toning exercises to help maintain the muscles I already have & my husband & I usually eat a range of protein so I will see how I get on. I am keeping a daily diary of my calories & will weigh next Saturday to see how I’ve got on.
    Thank you
    Margaret

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome back Russian Roulade ! Good to see you with us .Remember …what is done is done, don’t dwell, look forward !
    So good to feel motivated .Keep going !

Wendy1947/Margaret , sorry if you got a bit lost on the forum. We set up a new weekly thread on Monday evening which is a loooong tradition ! I normally send a message to say I am about to set up the new weekly thread so keep an eye out for that.
    So next week will be

8 WEEKS FAST 800 : WEEK 2 :ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING 17TH JANUARY 2023 😉

About macros…I used to tie myself in knots working those out. I tried using apps but to be honest I need pretty, basic, visual resources .The book I always turn to is one called
    Carbs & Calorie Counter
    which has over 1,700 photos of food with their protein, fat , fibre readings as well as the main carbs and calories

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals-Carb-Calorie-Counter/dp/1908261153/ref=sr_1_1?crid=QB2FHU6CXZM4&keywords=carbs+and+cals+book+for+diabetics+2022&qid=1673371335&s=books&sprefix=carbs+%2Cstripbooks%2C89&sr=1-1

SG, sorry about the postponed op. One more week to wait which is frustrating but it will soon be here and you will be sorted.I reckon you are incredibly brave .I would be scared to do any exercise at all if there was a risk . You will be back in your pool soon enough .
    What about a gentle yoga session ( there are sessions for seniors, chair yoga) ? Not that you need exercise for seniors but I was just thinking of something relaxing , calming to prepare you mentally ?
    Meditation using a video or app ? Don’t start anything high intensity !!!!
    It’s interesting to read all your healthy choices .I have never tried konjac noodles !

KEEP ON KEEPING ON as SG says !!!!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you wendleg & funnily enough my husband has just shown me his earlier version of that book that was recommended by Diabetes Uk so I will look things up.👍
    Margaret

on

Unfortunately, yoga is also off limits as there is too much stretching, causing tension etc. My usual daily routine includes facial yoga but for example, the lion pose stretches the neck. Other things like downward dog cause pressure. I dont want to put on a yoga tape and have to wind through half of the exercises. As I am feeling better I am concentrating on getting the house clean before I go into hospital as I know hubby will do the bare minimum. Truth – men clean the dirt they can see, women clean the dirt they cant. He has just vacced the toilet floor and when I went to wash it found he hadnt done under the bin, toilet roll holder and toilet brush holder – weeks of fluff and dust. Hey ho, I will do it properly tomorrow.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks for the reminder about konjac noodles, Margaret. I realized that I had three packets of them in my store cupboard, so I broke one open for dinner tonight. I made spicy peanut noodles with green beans. I like them once in a while but they do need some preparation to combat the texture/smell issues. I rinse them really well and then boil them for a few minutes. Then drain and dry fry for several minutes before mixing in my other ingredients.
    Sorry about your surgery postponement, s-g. Hopefully the days go by quickly.
    I had a late breakfast today of chia pudding with raspberries and lunch was leftover coleslaw from last night’s dinner. So not doing too badly at all right now. It could be my imagination or just a bit of daily fluid fluctuation, but I think my jeans were fitting a bit better today. It has been so difficult to lose anything off my waist or lower body, so this feels like a tiny win anyway.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Good morning & thank you for the Konjac prep guidelines articfox. It sounds a bit of a faff but I have bought six packs so will try doing a spicy stir fry with some left over Christmas turkey I have thawed with one of them. I was attracted to the idea of the fibre & such low calories 🤔 I do also like making homemade coleslaw with white cabbage, carrot, onion & a light dressing of yoghurt & apple cider vinegar 😀
    One side effect from this diet for me is losing the extra low carb fluid through the night disrupting my sleep but good it shows something is changing. My husband & I are going to an Arts Society lecture at our local theatre this morning so I will make sure I sit on an aisle seat to make a quick exit to the loo possible! I’m hopefully also losing some inches!! I will be weighing on Saturday & hope I show a weight loss & my husband & I are playing another local club in a competitive short mat bowls match in the afternoon.
    Good luck to everyone this week! onwards & downwards 👍
    Margaret

• posted by ahntp
    on

thank you for the Konjac prep guidelines articfox.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    Not a bad day today either. Chia pudding again for a late breakfast, followed by the leftover peanut noodles from last night for lunch.
    Had a bit of an upsetting afternoon at work which might have typically seen me searching for an ‘I deserve it’ meal at the supermarket on the way home. I only needed eggs and avocados though, and then crab cakes and greek yogurt were on a very good special offer, so that’s all I got. Had crab cakes for dinner with green beans and broccoli. Feeling like I’ve had a small amount of progress this week and I don’t want to mess it up!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello everyone
    It’s good you are coping with work & food challenges artic fox & crab cakes sound delicious for a meal.
    I had a very hungry day yesterday because I was still in overnight fast mode going to our Arts Society lecture until getting home at 12-30pm having a coffee with oat milk because I felt starving & then making broccoli & spinach soup with a dollop of full fat plain yoghurt for lunch. I had a 130g salmon salad with lettuce, 1/2 avocado, a grated carrot & half a red pepper for supper & in the evening I had a ginger tea. During the evening I felt cold & hungry & through the night I’ve had an uncomfortable sore stomach so I’m wondering if this is just getting into the Keto stage or just having to become used to stronger feelings of hunger whilst I get used again to this diet? I have some elderly Keto sticks I will dig out to try using but have previously dieted & never seemed to get into using ketones. This is day four for me now.
    I hope everyone is doing well despite this wretched grey rainy weather which is really depressing.
    Margaret

on

Hi, I have not done much exercise in the last year except for swimming nearly every day between April and November (last swam in very cold water on 25th Nov). Due to having undiagnosed asthma I wasnt able to do much more. However, it is really showing. While at the gym with daughter I went on the Boditrax machine and although weight was down, BMI was down my visceral fat was up, bone density down and muscle mass down. Once I get this operation out of the way I will be concentrating more on maintaining muscle until I can get back into the pool. Although exercise doesnt make much impact on weight, except helping to maintain along with diet, it does impact on other areas of the body like muscle, strength etc. I dont feel bad about it as I have been ill but cant wait to get back into some sort of weightbearing, muscle building exercise.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys, Long time no chat.

For those who may remember me, I first caught Covid in the summer of 2021 and was only starting to get back to health in 2021 when I caught it again. I only finally managed to get on top of the constant cough a couple of weeks ago. I confess that during all that time of sore throat from the constant cough I did fall off the wagon. There were times when my throat was so sore that I craved ice cream.

It turns out that in the UK Long Covid is only diagnosed if they have ruled out any other possible cause, so I have been through the mill with GP insisting in tests for cancer and heart disease. All the initial tests were negative, but as I was still fighting for breath the GP connected me up to an ECG machine, and then sent me to hospital for further tests. – The ECG reading indicated that the nerves within my heart were not firing as they should, but blood tests ruled out heart disease. – The next step is an appointment with a consultant for an echo cardiogram to rule out heart disease but because all other indicators of heart disease are negative I am low priority. So I have been left in limbo for months and still have no idea how long it will be before I hear when the appointment will be.

Fortunately, research is continuing into Long Covid in other countries, and there is a virologist who suffers from long covid who has been sharing copies of research papers into Long Covid and developing a protocol. – From that I have found out that the supplement NAC works a treat in breaking down the mucus and stopping the constant cough. Within a week of starting to take it my cough eased.

As for clearing the virus out of your system, guess what the solution is…….. Fasting for autophagy. It turns out that its a virus which is capable of hiding in cells from our immune system but autophagy helps to break down those cells and expose the virus to our immune system. Its also a virus able to multiply in fat cells. ….. Nasty disease.

I am still struggling with energy levels, 4 hours of physical work and I need to spend the rest of the day doing mental work and rest, and I have to pace myself when walking anywhere, but that is such a great improvement on how I have been that I am feeling very positive about the future.

I am doing a 72 hour fast every week, and doing TRE, with low carb. All the research shows that will be good for heart health as well as clearing Covid virus out of my system. – Hopefully I don’t get short notice about any medical appointments because blood tests which include cholesterol tests with this fasting program is going to send any doctor who does not have experience of keto or fasting into a tail spin.

on

Oh J Gwen. Welcome back. And my heart goes out to you. It sounds like you have been through the mill. I am sorry. But, it sounds like things may be becoming a bit better? Don’t be too hard on yourself. We can’t take our health for granted and it is a top priority. Anything we can do y ok help

on

Oh J Gwen. Welcome back. And my heart goes out to you. It sounds like you have been through the mill. I am sorry. But, it sounds like things may be becoming a bit better? Don’t be too hard on yourself. We can’t take our health for granted and it is a top priority. Anything we can do y ok help

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Welcome back, JGwen. I’m sorry you’ve had such a rough time. I had CFS/ME for 11 years, so although I didn’t have the heart and coughing issues that you’ve had, I do understand the debilitating fatigue. As I’ve been dragging myself around my farm this past year, I have often thought of you and wondered how you were managing post-Covid.
    I had a good day today with no breakfast and only 2 meals, so a 17 hour fast. I had coleslaw and two slices of cheese and a small orange for lunch, but still felt quite hungry and decided I needed a bit more protein. I made a smoothie from protein powder, almond milk and a few frozen cherries and it hit the spot. Dinner was green beans with giant white beans in tomato sauce with parmesan cheese. Very tasty.
    Feeling a bit better about the incident at work yesterday too. I spoke with my supervisor and his supervisor about it and although my supervisor felt what had happened was not appropriate, he didn’t really know what to do. His supervisor was very supportive though and has my back and will have a firm talking to the person who is responsible for what happened. I also spoke to a union representative about the ongoing concerns that I’ve been having with this person and was interested to hear that I’m not the first to approach the union about this person. I’m now really glad that I didn’t allow it to cause me to go off piste! Not worth impacting my health when I’m clearly not the problem.
    Also, I have a small NSV to report. I have a bit of pep in my step! I even ran up the stairs once today. It’s been a long time since I could even think of doing that. I’ve been dragging my heavy fluid-filled legs at a funeral pace up them for a while. Hopefully this means things are changing a bit and my lymph system is pumping a bit better.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Gosh! January threads are busy! I haven’t got time to read through it all at the moment, but lots of love to everyone who isn’t feeling well/ having life stresses/ awaiting surgery (SG)…..
    Well done to everyone getting back on their wagons (me included)….I’m doing some interesting experimenting with food/ timings etc- will report back in due course on that 😊
    xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Welcome back JGwen. Sorry to hear of all your health problems but let’s hope you have turned the corner and your health goes from strength to strength.

Well, I had five really good days completing all my do/don’t tasks but then on Wednesday the ‘cheese monster’ reared it’s ugly head. Oh dear! I know that cheese, and the necessary crackers, just can’t be part of my life at the moment. I’ve also been finding my ration of one square of dark chocolate with a lunch time cup of coffee is becoming difficult to stick to so that’s also on my ‘don’t’ list again.

So it’s Friday and exactly one week since I started back on track but my results are disappointing …. yo-yo …. not good. But today is a new day so starting over. I hope that by Tuesday I’ll be back into the swing of things again.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

JGwen I’m so sorry to hear what a rough time you have gone through & hope things are improving for you now!
    Margaret

• posted by wendleg
    on

I will be back to post a longer reply later but just wanted to welcome back JGwen who is such a valued member of our little community.

Also..special thoughts for Sunny B. It’s her birthday today ! 🤗🤗💐🎊🎊🎉

on

Welcome back JGwen, like you, I too have had a terrible year with health. My symptoms were very much like long covid so I can appreciate how you have been feeling. However, turns out I have asthma and now even more problems with a blocked carotid artery. Good news is I had a full cardio test this morning to see if I am fit enough for my surgery and I am okay although doctor wants to see a whole raft of blood tests in March then he wants to see me again in July – hubby and I have Jack and Jill appointments, same day same time. And then I have to do the bicycle stress test. Because I have had serious chest pains over the last 12 months I was concerned I might have had a heart attack at some point but he says no, that’s all I needed to know.

Sounding just like my mother used to and this age. Doctor this, doctor that, hospital this etc etc. When this is all over I am going to start to live life. We have lived in France for 17 years and I am sure there are places we haven’t seen yet but even without making travel plans there are lots of places to visit nearby even if we have been before. I might even say sod the diet, although the low carbing is part of my way of life now and, as an example, I had a small piece of baguette with lunch yesterday and gained 1lb overnight. It will be water retention so not worried and wont do that too often.

Weekend is here again. BTW I am still dry January – day 13 of course. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just dropping in to add my best wishes to those of others, JGwen, welcome back … we’ve missed you.

Sorry to read of your health problems over the past year. Glad that you have found the energy to tackle the issue with your usual approach of research and application though … I’m in awe of your 72hr fasts. Really hope that you will continue to recover well and will soon be back to full fitness.

• posted by Verano
    on

I copied this from Dr Chatterjee’s weekly news letter. I think this dues is really positive far better than just putting a tick against a list which is what I’m doing at the moment …. which isn’t really working!

If you do nothing else this week…
    Celebrate your success. If we only allow ourselves to feel good when we finally achieve a distant goal, we’re dooming ourselves to failure. Part of the problem with lifestyle choices, good or bad, is that you don’t always see instant results. If we could actually see the damage that each double cheeseburger does to us, the fast food business would collapse overnight. Likewise, if we could see the benefits that even just a short workout does to our minds and bodies, we’d be doing them every day without fail.

Here’s a simple, visual trick that’s worked for a huge number of my patients. Take an old glass jar and, every time you complete a healthy habit, drop a single coffee bean (or any other bean!) into it. It might sound crazy, but there’s just something about this action that reinforces your healthy intentions. You can’t drop the bean into the jar without feeling your victory in a really palpable way. As you see the beans collect over the weeks and months you start to build a powerful representation of just how much all your good work is piling up.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Good morning everyone!
    I have just weighed & am so very pleased to report I have lost 7.25 lbs! I know most of that is fluid & I certainly have been spending pennies 24/7 which has affected my sleep. I have three stone to lose now. I used a new Keto stick this morning & I’m not in Ketosis yet. I’ve been doing TRE & not eating after 7-0pm until a coffee with oat milk at 10-30am so about 15:8? I swapped my early morning coffee with oat milk for ginger tea to extend my overnight fast. I am playing in a competitive short bowls match this afternoon & might have some Greek full fat yoghurt with blueberries & chia for a breakfast today, I only if anytime have breakfast over the weekend, & think an MM Protein Shake with oat milk for lunch will be light on my stomach with an afternoon of bending over continuously to bowl to play a three hours bowls match.We are a new team of “oldies” who have just joined the county league & are so far doing quite well 😀 I haven’t worked out what to eat for supper yet but have a fridge filled with fresh veg!
    I hope everyone is doing well 🍀🍀
    Margaret

• posted by -Al-
    on

Hello all! I’d like to join you next week if that’s ok? :o)
    I started last week but the site was blocking me from signing up, but all fixed now.
    I’ve been going pretty hard on the TRE, skipping breakfast and eating dinner around 8 or 9, which previously was 9 or 10, with work I don’t sometimes get lunch until 1400 though!
    Have been enjoying the food, but Friday night had a pre-booked port and cheese night, no time is perfect to start a diet is it(!), It meant I put a lb back on and has slowed my progress but I know going into next week things will pick up – I do have a night away with work this week which will probably be tricky too, but even it it becomes a 5:2 kind of work it’s still better than how I was eating before!
    I’ve done 5:2 before and quite enjoy low carb eating, bread seems to be my main weakness, the proper white bleached stuff! Hoping over the 8 weeks I’ll get into good habits again, reduce my bread desires and loose some weight for an event I have mid-Feb.
    Lovely to meet you all, have been reading the thread and loving all your great progress – congratulations! Looking forward to going forward, or downwards, together!

• posted by caronl
    on

Congratulations Wendy1947! You must be so pleased with an excellent start. I have read on this site that keto sticks are pretty unreliable – JGwen did some very interesting posts on sticks vs breathalyser which you will find if you google on here. So don’t be disheartened – you are probably there already.

Welcome Al. It’s good to have a nice event to look forward to in mid-Feb – always a good motivator.

I confess to a very slow start due to sad news and comfort eating. But I have dusted myself down, and kick off properly today.

Happy Sunday one and all.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you Caronl I was rather surprised when I stood on my scales but it explains why I’ve been spending sooo many pennies this last week😂
    Welcome Al it always encouraging to see more people going back to this way of eating. I’m still trying to sort out recipes that fit into the calories but I did read in the Keto diet recipe book just pile on the various green vegetables & don’t count those calories so I’m doing that. I expect next week that my unexpected weight loss will reduce to 1-2 lbs & I’m pleased to read about the unreliability of Keto sticks but will keep testing just in case. I’ve just made a chilli con carne with venison mince & black beans to serve with some boiled sweet potatoes & white cabbage for lunch & will go out for a walk afterwards. It’s sunny but with a really chilly wind here.
    I hope you have a good first week!👍
    Margaret

• posted by -Al-
    on

That sounds lovely Margaret! How did the bowls go yesterday? I’ve always been fascinated by it, my grandad was a keen bowler and had a mat at home we played with a lot, and watched it on the telly too! We have lots of bowling greens locally, the one by us has a weekly open evening in the summer.

How do the keto recipes look? I’ve got all the other books but not this one, the recipes in the other books are a bit more carby that I might normally eat but I’ve always felt I didn’t eat enough fibre so all the beans and things are a good thing I guess.

Something I think is important is still celebrating the big loss in week 1, some people don’t have that and it’s a great sign! It won’t all be water and shouldn’t be dismissed :o). 2lbs would be good for me next week, and hoping to have less hungry days, which would make it easier!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Nice to see lots of people back on the thread. Week two back to basics has seen the loss of the 5lb gain from Christmas which included 2lb that I hadn’t managed to shift after going to Edinburgh in October, well lost it a day before Christmas to then go back up. I want to try to continue losing another couple of lbs before March when we go away to Tenerife. Fiance is saying that he is going to make a raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake that he didn’t make over the festive season WHY I cry who is going to eat it😭so a big temptation to avoid HELP!!!!!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    Good to see all the enthusiasm. It is motivating me!
    Well done, Margaret. I think you are well on the way, and even if not in ketosis all the changes you’ve made are clearly paying off.
    Eating lower carb and cooking more and with better quality ingredients is working well for me. My big NSV for over the weekend is a significant reduction in pain. I didn’t even realize how much pain I was dealing with until it started to lessen. Both in my joints and my weirdly painful lipedema fat tissue. I still have some pain around the back of my legs and upper arms, but wow, a big difference so far overall.
    I cooked up a bunch of rapini with garlic and olive oil on Friday night and have been eating that over the weekend. It’s not my favourite brassica, but tolerable, very low carb, and it was reasonably priced which is not the case for any of the others right now.
    Potentially planning to do some batch cooking later today to help get me through the week. I have to travel for work on Thursday, so that will require a bit of thinking. I’ve got lots of eggs in at the moment though, so may hardboil some of them.
    I’ve been watching the Zoe podcasts and have been enjoying listening to some of the new research around food and nutrition. I’ve been inspired to keep adding lots of herbs and spices to my foods for the gut health benefits and anti-inflammatory effects. I think a lot of the scienc is starting to align as many of the recommended herbs and spices are also the ones recommended by the lipedema experts. Low carb med is also recommended for lipedema. Anyway, a side benefit has been that I’m enjoying looking up recipes and enjoying cooking again. I suppose that’s quite a good NSV as well!
    Hope everyone has a good week!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello Al
    I play short mat bowls inside so is this what your Grandad played? It is different to long mat inside or on greens outside in good weather. Short mat has a block of wood you need to avoid half way along the mat that is 45 ft long with a fender each end. Unfortunately I didn’t play very well yesterday & we lost by three points & our other team was similar but it’s actually the first time the team I’ve been on has lost an away match. I do have wonky balance & arthritis in my knees but usually play better but they were a lovely group of people to meet with lots of banter so it was an enjoyable afternoon.
    I haven’t tried many of the Keto Diet Book Recipes yet but the emphasis seems to be on clear protein & carb counts in each recipe but otherwise similar to the other recipe books with clear instructions & good photos. I often make the Chunky prawn, leek & courgette soup from the Keto diet book which is fast & really low calorie. I keep a pack of frozen prawns in my freezer.
    Thank you articfox for your encouragement but good heavens you sound as though you have been recently coping with a lot. I hope this way of eating really helps you!!
    Well done Elle-Mae on your weight loss 👏👏 why don’t you freeze your portion of cheesecake & eat it when you have reached your goal weight?
    My diet week actually starts on a Saturday when I weigh myself so today is week 2 day 2 for me.
    I hope everyone has a good week next week👍🍀🍀
    Margaret

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    I finally have a minute to check in ! So good to see people posting on the thread, regulars and also new members !

It’s sad also to hear of long term health issues .

We are so pleased to see you back with us, JGwen .We missed your thoughtful input and we greatly appreciate your knowledge and research.
    It sounds like you are already making inroads with your findings. Let’s hope it gives you relief and you can get another medical check before too long.I also rate fasting as a very useful tool. 72 hours is impressive . I am doing one 36 hour fast a week at the moment, hoping to get back into my Alternate Day Fasting routine soon . It’s good isn’t it, Julz ? 🙂

Good to hear you are getting some relief too articfox.I remember you had serious health issues and your resilience in dealing with everything is amazing . You certainly don’t need extra aggro from work colleagues so well done for calling that out with the union rep

Thanks for your input which is always interesting and uplifting, Verano.I have just got into podcasts and Dr Chatterjee talks a lot of sense .I also listen to the ZOE episodes .

Good to see you Tulip/Clare .Looking forward to your posts.Check in with us when you can xx

Sorry you had some sad news , caronl. We can so easily be thrown off-kilter in those moments .It’s ok to need a moment to re connect .

SG , only a week to go now . It must be stressful having to wait longer but we are all thinking of you.It’s good that you have lots of travel plans to look forward to .You are right, there are so many beautiful places to visit in France.We will be making good use of our senior rail cards when hubby is a bit more mobile.

Well done Margaret and anyone else celebrating victories, however small !
    SW France is the land of boules/ pétanque .All you need is a scruffy bit of waste ground, a set of boules and away you go ! A beret and glass of pastis are frequent accessories ! 🙂

Well done Elle-Mae ! You soon get back on track . I couldn’t have cheese cake anywhere near me !!!

Welcome to our merry band Al ! I am not sure if ahntp will be re posting but you will be very welcome !

I got my new Fast 800 KETO RECIPE BOOK in the post and I am enjoying getting a few new ideas to add to my other recipe books . Please continue to share any interesting combinations .

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am about to set up the new weekly thread

Margaret , you will need to look for the new thread from now on 🙂

8 WEEKS FAST 800 : WEEK 2 :ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING 17TH JANUARY 2023

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Quick cheesecake update. Fiance made me a small alternative low carb version, no base just a small amount of marscapone cheese mixed with double cream and topped with fresh raspberries so I didn’t feel deprived.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

A lovely cheesecake solution Elle-Mae 👏👏😀

on

Hi Elle, saw the cheesecake on FB and thought it very thoughtful of your hubby to go to so much trouble and keep your wishes in mind.

I mentioned doing some travelling around France but not why. We have had to cancel our cruise in June – 2nd time, once for covid and now for health, insurance and other reasons. It is not the end of the world although I would have like to see iceland and I love the luxury of being on a cruise – the dressing up for dinner and seeing new places.

I wont mention my weight until I see how I have got on tomorrow so will see you all on the new thread.

Please log in or register to post a reply.