8 weeks Fast 800 : One Week at a Time beginning 3rd January 2023

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Happy New Year everyone ! I hope you have had good Christmas/New Year celebrations without any serious health issues ( Sorry SG and looking forward to seeing you here now you are feeling better) Massive hugs to anyone struggling right now .We never forget you .

It was no doubt a time of excess ( it was for me and actually left me feeling a bit eergh with acid reflux due to carb overload) I defiinitely feel better when I get back to my normal way of eating , cutting out the processed junk and sugar .

I first began an 8 week Fast 800 program in September 2018 (yes that long ago !!) and lost 9kg . I continued to discard more kilos , maintained, did pretty well losing 30 kilos overall and felt healthy and energised .Then…..I started to coast and drift and go overboard on portions ( especially nuts, dairy, dark chocolate) , convincing myself it was all healthy stuff .

HAHA ! I got caught in the complacency trap and started listening to that insidiuos little voice telling me I ‘deserved ‘ a certain food or treat . Stoopid !!!

Result I have been slowing gaining and need to stop the rot !!! Eating low carb is the only way of eating that works for me ! Time to go back to basics .
    So if you are interested in starting off on a Fast 800 eight week program , please join us !

You could be new to this way of eating or one of our ‘regulars’ .It doesn’t matter how much you have to ‘lose’ , your reasons for doing the program , we have quite a lot of years of experience behind us and can give sensible, helpful advice , particularly with managing pre/diabetes .

WELCOME !

I will start a new thread every week on Monday for those who like to manage weekly targets and you are free to post as little or as often as you like .

We look forward to building our friendly little community again . Drop in any time xx

Wendy (wendleg), SG (sunshine girl) and SunnyB

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Wendy, Happy New Year to you too. I am in for the 6 weeks. Though I shall hold off commenting too much until I can show myself that I can walk the talk! There were a few too many false starts for me in 2022!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome caronl ! Good to see a familar name back with us ! Don’t worry about false starts , focus on now , you can do it !! xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi I can’t join you just yet as I’m not home until Thursday so first weigh in of the year will be Friday. Then I have four full weeks so I’ll pop in as and when.
    Thanks for setting up this new thread Wendy, S-g and Sunny.
    My aim for this challenge is to eat two meals a day, three when/if I need them, to log my food when I can but without becoming obsessive, but above all to ‘relax’ into this way of life and enjoy!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Happy New Year to all and I hope SG you get better soon. Definitely too much overindulgence here, so back to basics for me from today. I agree with you Wendy, I did also suffer from acid reflux with over doing it. I finished off the overindulgence with a bang yesterday as we went out for a big family lunch to celebrate fiance’s Mum’s 70th. I made vegetable soup for lunches for the week with the leftover Christmas veg. Koko as SG tells us.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

I’m in, currently far rounder than I
    should be! Thank you Wendy xxx

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hello from one rather wobbly and windy Julz!!

8 week plan sounds ideal Wendy, thanks for the thread….. January and February are always very difficult for me (horse care, dark, mud, dark, ice, dark, cold…. you get the idea, trying to avoid serious horse related injury is a source of constant anxiety for me during this time) Anyway, its a time where i can hopefully focus on me. I’m already signed up to a charity walking / running challenge so should have a good step count in the next 6 weeks and of course, walking time is not snacking time so makes things easier. Keeping entertained in the evenings is a challenge…. did i mention its dark, cold and depressing?!

I’m very much like Wendy…. nailed it in 202, then let things slip and Christmas became a little indulgent. I know what works, i know low carb keeps my body and system happy so its right back to that for me….. Just thing that come March we can be a good bit close to target than we are know…. everyday is an opportunity, lets take this time to start the spring how we want to…..

Oh yes… logging food and weighing in….thats the challenge!! no hiding from the truth….

Happy new year you all

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello & a Happy New Year.
    I am trying to get myself organised this week & to start my eight weeks on Monday 9th January. I’ve been on/off following a lowish carb diet & having fasting days for several years since the original 5:2 diet & my husband succeeded more than me with the BSDiet maintaining his weight loss & he is a Type 2 diabetic. I’ve been less successful now having three stone to lose & hoping to finally crack my excess weight mainly because of my sore arthritic knees that are not helped by my current weight. I’m aged 75 & a good start in January would really boost my motivation & morale. So may I join this thread?
    Thank you
    Margaret

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    Good to see you Elle-Mae, Tulip and Julz !
    Safe return, Verano .Pop in when you can

Welcome Wendy1947/Margaret ! Of course you can join us.You are very welcome .It sounds as if you know what to do as you have previously had success with low carb .Put any “off piste “moments behind you and just look forward . This is now and you can do it !

Keep an eye out for the new weekly threads which we put up every Monday so you can begin your 8 weeks from then on the 9th .

I have been feeling much better having ditched the festive stodge, having access to my beloved veg .I have also not been eating nuts and dairy as I just cannot control my portions and abstinence is better for the moment . No choc either !

We all know what our danger triggers are !
    I hope your week is going well

Wendy xx

• posted by RubyG
    on

Happy New Year everyone, hope you all get over your winter lurgies soon, there certainly seems a lot of it going around.

I can report I weighed 12st 10lb on 01 Jan 2023! Not good, 4lb up on where I was prior to Christmas, but not as bad as I expected, considering for 2 weeks from the 16th Dec I ate and drank what I wanted to, when I wanted to. We didn’t go particularly overboard on anything specific, but I did make fruit cake, mince pies and Christmas puddings, and ate some of all 3, plus some other carbs and the usual Christmas cheese over-indulgence.

All the leftovers and carbs are now finished, and we are both back to work this week, with a renewed enthusiasm that may last 😉

I need to address an apparently high cholesterol level, so I’ll see what my levels actually are, and look at what I can do to improve them, without stating the obvious that I must eat less cheese!

Looking forward to shedding the feasting excesses and having a good, healthy 2023.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you Wendy for your welcome. My husband & I are working our way through the carby Christmas leftovers to make a fresh start next week. We’ve just come back from fresh veg shopping & I’m trying to menu plan going over my previously hoarded Fast 800 recipes. Lunch is usually homemade soup but I will have to get used to not having crackers or the bread eaten over Christmas but my main temptation is a glass of wine in the evening with supper. I will be trying for a “dry” January.
    By the way my twin sisters name was Wendy which is why I use Wendy1947 😀
    Margaret

• posted by wendleg
    on

That’s always good to forward plan your meals, Margaret. I am waiting for the new Fast 800 keto recipe book to see if there are any new ideas which I will share if they inspire me.

I also like divaliciousrecipes.com
    and the recipes on Melissa Sevigny`s website
    IbreatheImhungry.com
    Be aware Margaret that you might get a bit of carb withdrawal / carb flu after the Christmas indulgence. It won’t last long so push through it if you have any symptoms.
    I don’t drink but make up for it with other “treats” I convince myself are healthy..nuts,very dark chocolate,full fat Greek yoghurt but I am not indulging right now !
    I wonder if anyone else on the thread is planning.on dry January ?

Yes,I’m Wendy too and I have a brother Peter 😉

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Ruby G
    Good to see you back with us too. I have always been confused about the cholesterol question. Some medics take it very seriously, others say it’s not the mega issue it is often portrayed. A bit like the salt dilemma.

A 4lb gain is totally manageable. The key is not allowing it to slide further. Yes it really is about health overall!
    All the best to you as we govforward ! Xx

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

To give you a laugh. I pre-ordered the new Keto recipe book on 30th Nov, promptly forgot and ordered it again an 1st December. Didn’t realise until two books got delivered so had to return one. Didn’t realise that my memory was soooo bad🤣

• posted by wendleg
    on

Fortunately if I attempt to buy a book I already have on my Kindle I get a message telling me the original date of purchase ! Otherwise I would have plenty of doubles too Elle-Mae !
    I pre ordered the Fast 800 keto in book form though as it’s more practical. Xx

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Wendy, yes it tells me if I’ve already got the Kindle edition or a book as I have a lot of books haven’t read yet this does help but for cookbooks I prefer a real book and unfortunately it didn’t tell me haha

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, just looking in to say hi. Although not in the best of places (particularly mentally) I am also quite ill, though getting better every day.

Over the holiday period I gained 3lbs and have since lost 4lbs. Mainly due to getting back onto eating ‘normally’ once I returned home. Although there was wine for new year not as much as I would normally have had- just didnt feel like it. Didnt even enjoy the champers we opened on NY Day. Since then, with that one day blip, I have been doing dry January. Daughter decided to give up alcohol before Christmas, and bless her, she managed without for 21 days and caved in after all the partying had ended. She had a couple of books and passed one to me which is The Alcohol Experiment – 30 days to take control, cut down or give up for good by Annie Grace. She also runs a free app but I couldnt listen to her as she has a winey voice (pun not intended). After the preamble she takes you through a day at a time. I had a terrible time sleeping on days one and two and it was interesting on her explanation why that happens when alcohol doesnt help to sleep. Anyway, night 3 for me was an absolute dream, slept solid 8 hours with 7.30 bathroom visit. I will let you know how it works out for me.

On the question of cholesterol. I think most of you know that I am having surgery on 17th and it is to unblock my carotid artery from gunk causing an 89% blockage, so very much on the edge of having a stroke and still have fingers crossed. I saw a picture of the gunk and it is made up of a mix of cholesterol fat and coagulated blood. The first thing the doctor did was double my dose of statins and increase the aspirin dose I already take. That is what high cholesterol does to your body. If it hadnt been my carotid it would have been my heart arteries but I have yet to find out if that is also the case when I see the cardiologist next week.

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news if you dont think cholesterol is a problem. Some people can get away with it, others cant.

I do keep reading and want to say hi to the usual crowd and also to the newbie Wendy 1947 – although I think you have been on before.

Hope I have cheered you all up, which is why I thought twice about contributing but knowledge is power.

xxx S-G (Denise)

• posted by SunnyB
    on

So good to see so many people jumping back in and pledging to make a fresh start. It was my intention to wrestle control back this week, but haven’t been able to get my head in the right space yet.

That said, I know I need to make a start ASAP, as having weighed myself, I find horrifyingly in just a smidge over 3months (when I was at target weight) I have gained 12lb!!!

So I’m focusing on making a start next Monday. Going to prep a nice new spreadsheet tomorrow and make a few adjustments over the next couple of days, to get ready for the real thing next week.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

I agree Denise that knowledge is power & hope your surgery goes well🤞I think Michael Mosley continues to do a good job on busting medical myths & I admire the way he is prepared to test out his research on himself & that his books are based on accurate research unlike some so called miracle diets out there!
    I rather view myself as an amusing ongoing observational experiment regarding my nutritional ups & downs & how I react to different foods & exercises but unfortunately it’s an ongoing rollercoaster of stupid yoyo dieting of not maintaining my previous weight loss hence my starting again. It’s a matter of me researching well, which I very much enjoy, knowing what I should/can do & not always doing it🙀😂. As a result here I am picking myself up after finally catching covid before Christmas, since the pandemic started despite being fully vaccinated, & trying again. I suppose it’s just part of human nature to repeat one’s mistakes & then to try & do better the next time.
    Good luck to everyone starting a new regime on Monday & that this will be the year we reach our goal weights & otherwise have a successful & healthy 2023.
    Margaret

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!

Firstly, s-g sorry to hear you aren’t at your best at the moment but at least you are moving the right direction. Once the surgery is over hopefully you will recover quickly and be back to your normal, but healthier, self.

Good to see so many wanting ‘new beginnings’.

Well I got weighed this morning for the first time since December 22nd and I was pleasantly surprised. Firstly, I am just 0.4lbs up on January 1st last year, and now1lb up from my holiday, so I’m not too upset about that. In fact I’ve stayed the same (over) weight for the last two years! So I’m guessing my body will react like it did to my original effort back in 2016, when I get back to basics again. Only difference is that I’m starting from a lower point yay!

I have set a rather optimistic goal for the whole year but I’ve decided to pick some of the years coming events to break my goal down into manageable ‘bites’.

So I’m starting today. I’m so looking forward to vegetables after a few weeks of lots of artisan bread with olive oil and olives, a few pasta meals, several Indian meals (no rice), even a few slices of pizza. But I’ve tended to eat one main meal a day with just one small snack size breakfast occasionally. So I’m guessing I’ve really been doing TRE without realising it. Hence no huge weight gain despite not so good food choices.

I guess we’re all full of motivation at the moment … New Year … New Start. When we start to flag, as I’m sure we will, hopefully together, we will be able to motivate each other. I know we will!

• posted by Verano
    on

This is from the Zoe website. Just thought it might be of interest. You can join free. It’s all in the name of ‘science’ because the results from the contributors are collated … anonymously. It might just help to ‘track’. joinzoe.com habit tracker.

Habit Tracker: Looking to make a change this year?

It’s the start of a new year and many of us may be considering making changes to our lifestyles. We know that this can sometimes be tricky, as New Year’s resolutions often don’t last. So to help you make lasting positive changes, we’ve launched the Habit Tracker.

With this new feature, you’ll track one of 7 proposed health habit goals and discover how it affects you over time. Not only that, but by participating you’ll also be contributing to our research into the science of habit changes across the population.

The habits include:

Eating more plants each day
    Going to bed 30 min earlier
    Eating within a 12-hour window
    Drinking less alcohol
    20 mins of activity a day
    Deep breathing for 5 mins a day
    Standing and stretching
    Or choose one of your own if you prefer. You can learn more about why we suggest these habits in our blog.

Interested? Join now in the app.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi everyone. Just dropping in to say hello and Happy New Year. Particularly wanted to say s-g sorry to hear that you are unwell, and wishing you all the best for your forthcoming surgery. I hope everything goes well for you xx

Have a lovely weekend everyone and let’s hope for some great results over the next few weeks 😊

on

Thank you for all your good wishes. Starting to feel much better. On top of (not) looking forward to surgery, blood tests, PCR test, cardiologist, a really bad cough and cold did not help matters. Fortunately, the cough was not on my chest so just needed topical treatment and some rest. However, that state of health and state of mind made me very weepy, in fact I broke down into sobs a few days ago and couldn’t stop crying. Think it helped clear some of the stress. So I am back to my old determined self, going through all the French paperwork – bloody hell they serve breakfast at 6.30 am, lunch at 11 am and dinner at 6.00 pm, better get used to TRE and bringing food into the hospital is forbidden. As it is private I am hoping for at least a choice. I understand they want to know exactly what you are having and control your diet especially if there are special needs but I am dreading their idea of a good diabetic diet. Might be a few arguments or I might just put up with it for the 4 days I am there.

Still dry January and finding the book very helpful as it talks you though the emotions you will go through. How to accept cravings and rationalise them rather than trying to suppress them. I think a lot of what is in the book can equally apply to food and cravings. Fortunately, though only night 6, I have actually felt very good about it and thankfully I have been sleeping very well despite everything else that is going on.

Enjoy your weekend.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    Glad you are feeling a bit better, s-g. Some nasty bugs have been going around for sure.
    I’m in for 8 weeks too. I don’t think I’ll be doing a fast 800, but rather focusing on continuing to cook really healthy meals. I’m preparing for the upcoming growing season, so batch cooking is going to be happening so that I have a full freezer for the busy periods ahead.
    I will likely do a lot of 2MAD during the 8 weeks, and may even go back to trying some OMAD days in there as well.
    I have lots of healthy store cupboard ingredients and I raided my parents freezer for berries and veggies that they aren’t going to use. I found a huge bag of cauliflower from 2011! It still looks really good and was very well wrapped up, so I’m sure it will be fine. I’m going through recipe books today. I found a curried cauliflower soup one that looks nice. I’m making black bean and acorn squash burger patties today.
    If I can get back into really regular cooking over the next 8 weeks, I think that will go a long way to setting me up for a healthy pattern all year. Cooking is self-care, is my theme for 2023.
    Good to see so many joining in! KOKO!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Good morning everyone & good luck to those who are starting dieting today. Here I go again & Ive tried to get organised clearing my kitchen of tempting diet breaking foods & snacks & have just received the Keto 800 recipe book for more ideas. I usually follow TRE but re-reading the Fast 800 book realised that my usual 8-0am coffee with oat milk breaks my overnight fast so I’ve changed that to ginger tea & will now usually have a coffee mid-morning to extend my fast & only have food & drink calories & no between meal snacks in my eating window! I don’t usually eat breakfast so will have two meals a day. Whether I can keep to 800 calories each day feels a bit in the lap of the gods but will try to.
    Margaret

• posted by RubyG
    on

I’m in for the second week, starting to get my head back into the zone.
    I have had a good look at my cholesterol results, and while I’m not dismissive, I am confused! Especially the dietary links to cholesterol levels.
    My total cholesterol is high (at 7.7 mmol/l) and my non-HDL is high (at 6.2mmol/l) but my HDL is above the desired minimum (at 1.5mmol/l) and my ratio is OK at 5.1 (4 is good, 5 is considered normal, above 6 is high risk, apparently).
    Through various reading on decent websites, menopause can raise cholesterol, as can coffee! That is not good. Also looking at the UK heart.org.uk pages and the NHS guidance, I want to try to address this through dietary means before meds.

I know my biggest issue is cheese 🙁
    I cook mostly with olive oil, sometimes butter, but I do only consume full-fat dairy (this is in milk kefir or yoghurt, in limited quantities, and I don’t take milk in anything else).
    We eat oily fish 1-2 times per week, usually one fresh portion for supper and one tinned for lunch.
    Avocado – cannot abide it………

Looking at the 4 food groups to reduce cholesterol, they are quoted as:
    1 – soya – not a fan, been there and done that during a vegetarian phase, probably won’t go down this route initially
    2 – oats & barley – pre-BSD I always had 30g oats for breakfast but then switched to eggs to breakfast along with hubby to reverse his pre-diabetes. As I have not been diagnosed pre-diabetic and had a recent HbA1c of 33 (whatever units that is) I think I will revert to 30g oats for breakfast maybe 4 days per week, and possibly add in some barley into my lunchtime soup on days when I don’t have oats. 30g Quaker oats = 113 cals and 20g carbs.
    3 – nuts – 30g per day recommended – I can easily achieve this, the struggle is not to overdo it (like others on here I am not good at moderating nut intake)
    4 – plant sterols and stanols – I am not convinced by food additives of any description, and it’s pointless buying spread with sterols in it when I don’t eat bread etc. There are supplements of plant sterols & stanols, which are said to reduce LDL cholesterol, so I may try these for 3 months.

I must schedule a follow-up with my GP to discuss my results, so I will ask for a re-test in 6 months and try to incorporate some of the above changes.

Any other suggestions welcome, as long as they don’t involve avocado!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Ruby

Has your GP suggested that your high cholesterol level is dietary?
    My total was always 5.2 which at one time was the upper limit. My GP didn’t think it was food related. Then the NHS moved the goal posts down to 4.8, and they have since lowered it again. My cholesterol level remained static. The GP tried every computer program to try and get me into the danger zone to start me on statins but just couldn’t quite get me there.
    But, following a low carb diet improved my cholesterol. My ratio was less than 3 twelve months ago… about to have my 12 month review next week.

Maybe if you try a strict low carb regime that might help. But if you eat oats and barley etc you’ll push up your carbs quite dramatically. I think I’d wait until you have your GP appointment and find out how much of you high cholesterol is diet related before you changing your diet.

• posted by Verano
    on

While I’m here. I’ve had a reasonable week. Just getting myself back into the swing of two meals a day. Not feeling hungry which is good.
    I wonder if somebody could clear up the TRE issue and milk. I stop eating around 7 pm and have a cup of tea with milk around 6am …. I’m a very early riser! I have read that a splash of milk doesn’t break you overnight fast but now I’m reading that it does. Any clarification please?

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thank you for the advice Verano, I will make the GP appointment and discuss the results, before jumping to conclusions (and solutions).

Re. milk in the morning drink and breaking a fast – I believe it does, but the Fast 800 seems to indicate that a splash of milk is not a huge deal. It will trigger a metabolic response, probably unlike a clear, black coffee or tea.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Ruby. Maybe I should go back to earl grey of green tea as my first morning drink!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    Here we are at the end of our first week .Mine has been good insofar as I am maintaining my abstinence from dairy , nuts and choc. I am waiting for my Fast 800 keto recipe book to arrive to give me more recipe ideas.

No more acid reflux, just shows it was very much linked to my carbage .I am sleeping better too .

So on we go . I will set up the new weekly thread now

• posted by BFG 2
    on

Hope it’s ok to join today- just starting week 2. Needing support from the group as having trouble with the late evening munchies! But this is my last chance and I just have to make it happen. I need to lose35kg

• posted by BFG 2
    on

Please can I ask a question? When fasting Am I allowed water to drink ( or lemon/camomile tea with no milk) or is it a total fast ie nothing to pass my lips? Thank you all!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Oh well day 1 completed but I am a little concerned about how to eat 50g of protein each day when it appears in the Keto book list that 100g of raw chicken actually contains around 30g? I added a boiled egg at supper to the tuna & chickpea salad but of course that has to be included within the daily 800 calories 🤔
    Although other MM books have said it’s important to eat enough protein I hadn’t before seen a breakdown of different proteins into their “component” parts realising that of course they must include fats & other nutritional things & not be completely protein. M M also mentions the importance of not losing muscle particularly when getting older so eating at least 50g of protein each day. I know there are daily eating planners in the books but I do have favourite BSD & 800 recipes that unfortunately state the weight of meat, fish, pulses etc but not the recipe protein content except in the new Keto Recipe Book.
    Is anyone else having this problem of identifying the true protein content of ingredients which is I now realise not just the apparent weight of the protein?
    Am I the only one confused but this anomaly?
    Margaret

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello BFG you must keep hydrated drinking lots of water or you will feel dizzy, risk constipation & become dehydrated. Different teas are also fine but be aware the first calories or milk you add to drinks eg honey sugar after waking breaks your fast & if you want to be really strict only drink water between meals not milky coffee or tea but those immediately after a meal will become digested with your food so ok.
    Hope that helps & I only just confirmed that myself after reading the Fast 800 diet book.
    Margaret

on

Hi BFG 2, yes you must drink plenty of water. If you want to avoid milk then green tea or black coffee are also acceptable. Just a point to note, this thread runs for a week then we go to the next week which has the same title but 10th January. Hope that is helpful.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Sorry I’m a bit confused about this thread continuing so do I have to search for 10th January & shouldn’t post on here?
    Thank you
    Margaret

on

This is a weekly thread so we can say goodbye to any failings and start with a new sheet. Just look for every Tuesday in the month.

Please log in or register to post a reply.