8 week diet/recipe query

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SparkyForsyth
    on

Hi All,
    Just curious as I can’t see it in the book, but after week 4, I am assuming we just repeat weeks 1 – 4 again?
    I have just completed week 3 and happy with my progress even though my emotions can be all over the place sometimes. Both my body and mind have had a bit of a shock I tell ya. Especially when I lost my first stone 4 days ago, absolutely over the moon. Never tried to diet before but a friend suggested buying the book. At bit about myself. I was recently diagnosed with type 2, and to throw in with that I have a dilated cardiomyopathy, bad circulation in both legs and all the other aches and pains that come with getting old. So the exercise part is minimal but I bought an exercise bike and a couple of 2kg dumbbells and just do what I can without overworking the heart. 60 year old, very bad diet over the last 30 years, so decided to do something about it. I work as a full time courier and my day is driving around 10-12 hour so the meal prepping has me busy at night when I come right in from work getting main meal done and making breakfast and dinner ready to take to work the following day. Not the best laid plan when you need time to prepare but I do what I can. Sometimes juggle meals about to fit in with my job. Looking forward to get browsing through the topics, when I get a chance. Cheers Sparky.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Sparky, well done for finding the diet and the site. You will not regret using this plan and your diabetes will soon be showing improvement. Yes you can just run the weeks again or mix them up as you please. I am guessing it helps with the meal planning to have a menu already set out for you.

As a newly diagnosed T2 you are probably not on any meds but feel free to ask any questions you might think of. There is a wealth of experience here.

on

Hi Sunshine girl,
    Yes I am on Metformin and Empagliflozin. I am also on Atorvastatin as my cholesterol was through the roof as well (and had been for ages according to my Doctors but was never told) When I say recently diagnosed I have just checked my medical records, It was actually a year ago, how time flies. Didn’t think it was that long ago 😂 The blood sugar levels were not coming down quick enough for my liking and after reading the book I noticed to many similarities to health issues (pin n needles, numb painful feet etc) I have but never linked them together. The Doctors only seem happy to just feed you tablets, there is no current diabetic dietician at my health centre at the moment so I was more or less left to my own devices without and help or guidance. After reading the book I just thought “Go for it” as it gave me a wake up call, the nurse at the health centre doesn’t agree with the diet she thinks its to extreme but my Doctor says “give it a try” but she’d rather I went the low fat route. Not much support from them really and I even supplied them with the Newcastle Uni notes for experts as Michael suggests when I went to get full blood tested before starting. Currently end week 4 tomorrow and now actually enjoying this journey, I have also lost 20 lbs already. 1st week not much happened, slow 2nd week then 3rd week it started to gather momentum. Blood sugar coming down slowly as well but still a long way to go yet. I am starting to waffle so will stop just now. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I thought no one would answer. LOL I’m not much good at the forum approach as it were, seems awfae confusing to me but I’ll do my best when I have queries. Many thanks again. Sparky

on

Sparky, well done for hanging around. I did notice you had no replies and I can only guess people are away on holiday, as I was. In terms of reaching a possible ‘cure’ you are fairly newly diagnosed and in a great position to achieve that goal. Although, I believe we are still diabetics and it will return if we go back to our old ways.

The reason I asked about meds is because this diet can have quite a fast effect on BG levels. I personally went from 180/190 down to 150 in 3 days and in only 3 weeks I was running at 120. Seems you are able to test as you say your numbers are coming down slowly. You dont need to rush things, just stick with the diet but if they do drop too low you might need to talk to your not so helpful nurse or doctor. It is a story we have heard many times, they just dont believe this can work or that it can be sustained. I have been on it for over 6 years and only stick to the 800 if I have a reason to get rid of some weight but always, always stick to the low carb. I didnt even have any wedding cake at my daughters wedding 3 weeks ago. Anyway, if you do find yourself going low and getting the blurred vision, sweats, numb lips – read up about the signs of a hypo – dont go the old route and have something super sweet to bring you back up. Think about having some protein like chicken or ham or cheese. Also some plain yoghurt with a few diced up dried apricots or prunes will get you back up. It was always a vicious circle, eat less to improve BG, have a low and eat more to resolve. Now it is me that is waffling on.

Please stay around, so many times I get invested in someones journey and want them to experience what I have (not yet total remission) and then they disappear. Keep talking and asking questions and, as I always say, keep on keeping on.

BTW well done on the weight loss.

on

Been awfae busy recently but stuck to ma guns and kept on going on, weight coming down nicely as are the bloods. Coming to the end of my 6th week now and just under 200lb today, a major target for me, just another 3lb to go to hit a loss of 2 stone, then gonna concentrate on losing another stone. Got Docs for 6 week review and results of my latest blood tests etc so will advise how I get on there. Not that the nurse is very supportive but I’m here to show them it can be done.
    Awfae sorry for the slow reply but work is hectic and I have also taken on exercises 3-4 times a week as well to tone up, thats hard for a guy my age with a cardiomyopathy but I’ll get there.
    Thank you for taking the time to chat.
    Sparky

on

Keep going Sparky, show those doubting medics that this does work.

Please log in or register to post a reply.