70km hike in 4 days and the BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mary_H
    on

Does anyone have any ideas on how I am best to manage the BSD while doing a 4 day hike? I have to carry my food so it is limiting. I am taking some dietary shakes and protein bars, fish and nuts, beef jerky, but the vegetables are planning challenging because I don’t want the weight of tins.
    I am also concerned about keeping my energy levels up to the 15-20km daily hikes. I will be in week 6 when I commence the hike. I don’t mind if I don’t loose weight that week but I certainly don’t want to put any back on.

• posted by FoFi
    on

I have done some 90 minutes pieces of strenuous exercise without any problems on this diet. There are lots of sites that will let you estimate how many calories your hike will burn. You might decide to increase you intake by this amount less that of 15,000 steps.

Cheese should keep okay for a few days and many vegetables will keep, such as peppers or carrots. Apples should be okay. Do you have cooking facilities? If so you could take dried beans.

Or you could just decide to eat more vegetables on the first day or two (falafel, onion bhaji salad, carrots cut them up as you go) and on the 3rd and 4th day you don’t eat as many vegetables as normal. You could take some higher fibre snacks such as prunes, and guilt free brownies, or something else made from coconut flour and have these on the final days.

• posted by Mary_H
    on

Thanks ,FoFi, some good tips. I have experimented with how long cut vege last outside of a fridge and I feel more optimistic. I have planned my meals staying pretty close to the recommended food and I will be taking a bit extra in case I really feel I need the calories. Lots of fish in oil, vege, beans some cheese and of course almonds. I am allowing 900 calories in my planned meals with additional ‘snacks’ at around 100 each so I should keep under 12 00 a day. I will look into the websites
    to calculate my calorie burn.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Is there any chance of buying more food on the way, or having someone meet you with extra supplies?

Vacuum packed beetroot will keep without being chilled.

Please log in or register to post a reply.