6 weeks after the 8 weeks

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Oddj0b
    on

I did the 8 week BSD between January and March finishing on 4th March when we went for a holiday in Fuerteventura. At the start of the 8 weeks I was 109.2kg and at the end I was 94.7kg. My blood glucose dropped from 16 at the beginning and the by the end the average for week( on waking) was around 6.

Since then we ( my wife is dieting too but for different reasons) have continued to keep to a heavy mediterranean style of eating but have to confess to drinking far too much beer. We still hit the gym three or four times a week but there has not been a potato or a slice of bread in the house since January and we are both better for it.

This morning I weighed in at 91.5 kgs and my last 10 glucose reading have averaged at 6 mol/l.

I have just booked my next assessment and am looking forward to seeing what has happened with HBA1c result.

Having been diagnosed in 2011 I don’t yet think this is enough to say my diabetes is gone but I feel so much better and am enjoying the food I eat. My wife has also lost about 15 kgs and is still losing weight but it has slowed down for both of us.

I have to say that when I started I was keen, but sceptical that I would reach my weight goal which was initially to be below 100kg, now its to be below 90kg and I’m not far off. The advice in the book has been so valuable and although we haven’t stuck to it too rigidly at times( having had some great party nights followed by kebab and pizza, it has really worked well for us and four months after starting I think we have really changed our lifestyle, all for the better. Its not easy, you need to get back on the horse after you have fallen off and sometimes your weight does changed for days, even at 800kcal per day, but it is worth it to feel so much healthy.

one of the best things to happen to me was randomly see the BSD on a bookshelf in a shop and think, “I’ll have a read of that”.

The next six months will see how good I am at keeping to it.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Welcome Oddjob! This is a wonderful post! My best and warmest congratulations on your achievement and your wife also! I love it when wives and husbands can get on board the same plan — makes it so much easier and being a long-married person myself, I know how couples are better working together toward common goals.
    Let us know how your HBA1c test goes — it sounds like it will be excellent. And watch the beer — so good to drink, especially those bitter, citrusy IPA’s but it can creep up on you —- I do love it after a hike though.

Please log in or register to post a reply.