3 days in and finding it TOUGH

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by PlumpGoose
    on

Hi there,
    Started 3 days ago and have a serious case of hangry. Knew it would be tough, but wow, today has been a real test of willpower ! Read up on some of the side effects of carb withdrawal, so I had an idea what to expect, but today have felt weird, tired, a bit light headed and very touchy !! Poor husband … Just looking for some encouragement and support really-I’m not a diabetic, but have a large amount of weight to lose ( 6 stone) so thought this would be a good way of kick starting the weight loss .I think the crux of my issues is the emotional attachment to food. Never realised how preoccupied I was by food, or how much it is at the centre of my life. It literally consumed my entire day ( no pun intended !) It’s not until you stop eating all day and monitor your intake, that you realise.. anyone else have this problem? Oh I should say, that I have an underactive thyroid too, so weight loss in the past has been an uphill struggle.
    Hope there’s some like minded BSDers out there ! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

It can be hard but stick to your guns and soon you will be through the other side.

IT GETS BETTER!!!

I don’t have your issues with thyroid but there are some others here who do, we will certainly encourage you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Leasko
    on

Hi
    I have just registered and am in a similar situation to you. I have just calculated how much weight I need to loose to be within the healthy weight range and it was 6 stone and 6 lbs ?! I read the book last week , started yesterday and already have started to worry that it goes against everything I have been taught re the dangers of loosing weight fast. I too really struggle to loose weight and never manage to keep it off. I am really up for doing something different.but am quite nervous if I can really do this.

• posted by Izzy
    on

You can! Have a read of the diaries kicking about here, Captainlyne, Bill, Switzerland, Lucia are all long term posters who have lost loads, Happylife, myself and Frog have been around a while now too among many others. Have a read of our longer threads and many others I’ve missed, I’m sure you will see this is do-able.

Key is later once the weight is gone, is to stick to the mediterranean diet principles to minimise any gains. It can be done and many HAVE done it.

It took me a few weeks of doing this plan before I realised that I can be one of those people – I CAN DO IT TOO. I’m not there yet but BSD has given me the faith that I can be, and I will be. I’ve had slip ups but not like in the past – I’ve fallen off the wagon only for an hour or two rather than falling off for a day/week/month and giving up like I did on any other diet.

Carb addiction is real and the modern diet and way of life has caused it. Why trust old advice when it lead us there? Trust in yourself, trust in your body – give this plan a good and honest try. If it doesn’t feel right for you later you can stop there is nothing compulsory about this, but… If you do it, your health will thank you. and you will thank yourself.

• posted by Leasko
    on

Thank you Izzy. Found the forum of people who also started on the 1st August and got alot from reading that. Going into day 2 fairly excited,when literally an hour ago , I was quite anxious.

• posted by Fraz
    on

Hi, its day 6 for me. Tough. I’m using my fitness pal to log, but it wont properly record sub 1200 cal days as it considers it dangerous. 800 is really hard. I keep ending up at 1000.
    I cant tell how much I’ve lost as scales limit is 150kg and I think i was about 155kg to start.
    But my shirts have got looser!
    Stick with it. I will keep on trying.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Fraz – welcome!

If you’ve got 5kg to lose before your scales start showing your weight, it probably won’t be too long to see it! If your shirts are looser, that’s really good news, well done ๐Ÿ™‚

Perhaps measuring by clothes (and measurements, did you take some? If not, take some now) would be the best way to start off.

With regard to MFP, if you add a fictional snack of nuts to the end of your day to bring you up to their judgement of what’s ‘safe’, then it will record the day. I haven’t bothered, but it does still keep the records if you want to look back.

Onwards and downwards ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Hi Goosey (@PlumpGoose) and well done for starting BSD! It will be hard to start with but stick with it and you will really reap huge rewards. Have you ever tried anything like this before? i.e. did you ever do the 5:2 fasting? I think people who have had experience of that do tend to find BSD a lot easier. Its going to be a lot tougher if you’re new to the whole concept.

Personally I find it easier if I avoid breakfasts (this is incredible because I used to be the queen of breakfasts – I LOVE milk and cereal!) so that I only have lunch and evening meal to think about. I’m not as good as the others on the carb counting front and have gone over 50g most days – BUT I stick to 800 cals and find this easy! Maybe you should do the same to start with. Don’t worry SO much about the carbs but cut out things like pasta, rice, potatoes, bread. You will feel weak to begin with but then you will feel just wonderful – light and energised!

I, too, have an underactive thyroid and have done for many, many years. I take Thyroxine but have always lost weight slowly – typical! Recently, I have started taking 2 drops of iodine in an attempt to boost things. Nothing major has happened yet

• posted by Nursebean
    on

I use MFP and it records each day for me. It tell me once I’ve ‘completed’ the day that I haven’t eaten enough calories and then give me my weight in 5 weeks’ time if I carry on at this amount. I love to see that! Apparently I’m going to be 8 pounds lighter in just 5 weeks! That’s amazing for me ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by PlumpGoose
    on

Thanks everyone for their encouragement- day 4, about the same, but a 7 pound loss on the scales this am spurred me on !

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Plenty of great advice here so i will just add,wonderful loss! 7 lb in 4 days woooohoooo.
    The bad feelings will pass..may come again a few weeks along,but again, will pass ..the weight loss more than makes up for it! X

• posted by Leasko
    on

Wow PlumpGoose 7lbs in 4 days?! I wouln’t normally loose that in four weeks. Keep on going ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Katherine
    on

Hi Fraz. You can change you targets in my fitness pal
    Go to …more – Goals- see heading Nutrition goals – calorie & Macronutrients goal
    Then you can set calorie to 800 , carbs, protein & fat in grams & % of daily intake

Please log in or register to post a reply.