2022 ! One Week at a Time beginning 4th January 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here we are in 2022 ! Glad to see the back of 2021 for sure .

There is a longer countdown to Easter thread but there still seems to be demand for this thread which allows for shorter, weekly targets , so on we go !

I will start a new list of contributors at the end of the week and keep it updated .

Please feel free to dip into this thread too even if you are following other threads. We are a mix of long term members, regulars and those who are new to Fast 800 and there is always room for you if you want to benefit from our experience and just share and support each other .

Some of us may be feeling in need of a reset ( me !!) and if you need some company to maintain your motivation, then you are most welcome to join our merry band .

I have been reading the new Fast 800 Keto and it will be interesting to see if we can incorporate any new research into our routines .

So wherever we are right now , let’s begin 2022 with renewed vigour and focus. We have come through a lot for sure and we can achieve so much together .

Wendy / wendleg, SunnyB and sunshinegirl

• posted by Antigone
    on

Hello All, happy new year to everyone. All set for a fresh start..back to work and routine this week which is helpful. Good luck everyone 🙂

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all, I’m in!

First day back on plan complete

I had coconut chia pudding and some nuts for lunch, and chicken wrapped in Serrano ham with sprouts, broccoli and carrots and a sauce made with a tiny bit of Marsala wine for tea. Ending the day on 21g carbs and 787 calories, feeling ok so far but it’s always day 2 or 3 for me I end up feeling awful!!

Lauren x

• posted by RubyG
    on

I’m in for 2022 and beyond, will post more later.

• posted by Onestep
    on

I’m here and done day 3 of reset, batch cooking done which will only last a few days but great for when tired in the evening and don’t want to cook and back to work tomorrow so helpful for lunch too.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hiya! Thank u for the new thread, Wendy xx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

So, I’ve been working my way through re-reading the fast 800 and have been reminded of why intermittent fasting is so healthy….so today I aim for 800 cals (not truthfully been near it for a while….although have spent quite a lot of time doing MM low carb med-style with sometimes lowish cals interspersed with many Summer hols and Christmassy hiccups 🙄😆)….

I really need this- all encouragement welcome

xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Tuesday is my traditional weigh-in day so I’m coming along with you all on the weekly thread this year. I need to address so many issues … not drinking enough water, eating too little fibre … to name just two. So I think I might use this thread as a weekly personal challenge as well.
    Yesterday was my first day of weighing, measuring and logging all my food. I was shocked. I only had 5.7g of fibre when I should be having 21g. So the challenge for me this week is to increase my fibre so it looks like I’m going to have to make ‘friends’ with avocados, raspberries and Brussel sprouts! Any other ideas for high fibre lowish carb/cal food would be much appreciated.
    Wendy, how have you found the new book?
    There seems to be more of an air of optimism and enthusiasm for 2022 so let’s see if we can keep that upbeat feeling going, week by week, for as long as possible.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi Verano.

I was pretty shocked weighing out breakfast this morning and realising how far I had crept off any hope of plan (not that I wasn’t weighing it, but with brekkie and coffee my usual was ending up at 350-400 cals so in order to achieve 800 over the day I’ve had to cut that right back this morning!!)…

Tulip x

• posted by Verano
    on

Tulip
    Hi. I know it really is amazing how easily we can fool ourselves into thinking we are eating well, staying within the guidelines, only to be completely devastated when we start weighing again and find that portion size etc is way, way off.
    At least we know where we’re going wrong and can get back on track !

• posted by florob85
    on

Verano if you don’t like sprouts the traditional way they are lovely roasted in a bit of balsamic vinegar – just par boil them for three or four mins, and then toss in some balsamic and roast for about half an hour – they go nutty and crispy and taste completely different to just boiled (although I love sprouts any way!!). They are also good as a “salad leave” shaved raw or as a coleslaw ingredient instead of or as well as cabbage xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Lauren the balsamic sprouts sound lovely. As it happens I also love sprouts! But you made me think. I make soups often and I have in the past added sprouts to broccoli soup so that might be a way to up my fibre.
    I just planned my day and realised it was low in fibre again. I swapped out one egg , no fibre, for lunch and added in a slice of low carb bread at 4g fibre. The calories are similar but there’s 3.4g of carbs in the bread but I think that’s probably a small price to pay for fibre. Looks like I’m on another learning curve!

• posted by florob85
    on

I might be talking garbage V but I think coconut is high in fibre too, and chia seeds – whilst not low calories, chia seeds are packed with fibre and are filling – I had 2 tablespoons in 120ml alpro coconut milk for lunch yesterday and that was 11g fibre and 144 cal – I supplemented with a bit of cheese and nuts but it was quite filling on its own x

• posted by RubyG
    on

Quick check-in, back to the work (WFH still) routine.
    Hubby and I both found a few lbs over the 3-week Christmas/New Year break, but not a lot of off-plan eating (drinking is another story over the past few weeks though), although we did probably eat our body weight in cheese!
    Like many on here, I have not weighed and tracked for a while now, and I know that portion sizes have crept up to more than 800cals.
    I still have a few leftovers (including some turkey soup) which I need to get rid of, and then tracking will start again.
    Hubby has his blood tests due at the end of the month, so that’s a good incentive for a focused few weeks.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wonderful to see so many of us determined to make a fresh start for 2022. Thank you for keeping a weekly thread going g Wendy.
    I too have taken my eye off the ball for awhile now … 3mths this time actually! So it was a pleasant surprise this morning, to find the scales read only 5lb above target.
    However, my system has been telling me for days now, that it’s had enough of over indulgence and needs to get back to a proper eating plan with real food and no more carbage.
    My proposed approach is to make a gentle start this week … well in reality, for two weeks, as I have a birthday next week. After that I’ll look at full tracking again.
    Wishing everyone a great 2022, full of all you wish for yourselves, including BSD success and much more.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Thank you Wendy for starting the new weekly thread, glad to hear from you all.
    New Year, new start, begin (again) as we mean to go on😘

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, thank you Wendy for setting up a new weekly thread. Can I say that I follow the BSD800 (similar to Fast 800) which concentrates more on the benefits for diabetics. This diet really works in keeping blood sugar numbers right down and in some cases, putting diabetes into remission. Big shout out for Verano our resident success story.

How have I done. I am quite pleased to say that my Xmas, New Year gain is just under 3lbs. My weight is now just under 167 and I have set myself a goal to be under the 160 by my birthday first week in Feb. At least an 8lb loss. So not looking too far into the future and hopefully a realistic goal. Blood sugars are way out of control by my standards but not so bad that I am worried and will soon have them back under control.

Enjoy the new year with hope and enthusiasm and put the past behind us. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by RubyG
    on

Today has been a good start in many ways – no snacks for either of us (including hubby’s developing peanut butter habit – none for the past few days).
    I am dying to read the new MM book, just to get some different ideas, but the online retail giant beginning with an A is being an A at the moment – book ordered 30th Dec for next day delivery (usually works well) – collected by courier 2nd Jan, no further updates apart from the ability to ask for a refund. I know what will happen – I’ll get a refund, buy another copy and then have the pain to return the original one when it does arrive, so I’m trying to be patient until the end of the week before giving in.
    I too put on about 3lb. but I went into Christmas heavier than I’d like, so tipped the scales back into 12st 1.0lb this morning (last year this time I was 12st 10lb so I’ll take that as a win).
    My aim is to get below 11st 7.0lb by Easter, perfectly do-able with some effort, and then review if getting below 11st is an option. My lowest ever adult weight was about 10st 7lb, but I didn’t maintain there for very long at all.
    Hubby thought he had gained a stone, which was a wake-up call that complacency will undo all his efforts very quickly, but I think it was a change between scales and a bit of bloat, as he is also about 3lb up on his pre-Christmas weight (Jan 2021 he was at ~19st after his first 3st weight-loss).
    If he had bothered to read the text messages from his GP before Christmas, he could have had really good results by having his bloods done pre-Christmas, but he only read the text once we were already away with family/friends – aaaargh!
    Anyhoo, let’s make 2022 a good year!

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g glad you got to the UK but sorry it was a bit fraught. I’m guessing that any of us who travel for the first time will find life a bit more stressful than usual, but hopefully there was more gain than pain.
    OK … s-g you give me far too much credit…. I’m really a fraud because the rest of me needs help!
    I have managed to get my BS down and kept it in the normal range but that’s where it starts and finishes! You have done a million times better than me. I started with an HbA1c around 6.4 with metformin and it’s been around 5.4 without metformin for over 5 years. You on the other hand have done amazingly well. Ok so your BS may be a bit up the wall at the moment but you have had a much higher mountain to climb. Reducing insulin the way you have really is a great triumph. Insulin is so much more difficult to reduce and you’ve lost weight at the same time …. remarkable. You actually are the real success story.
    Lauren thanks but I hate chia seeds but like sprouts are for other people! I think coconut milk might be a good idea though.
    I do need some help with macros though so I’ll start a new thread rather than monopolise this one

• posted by Tulip1
    on

yay everyone, so happy we are all ready to go for it in the New Year!

Day 3…but day 1 proper….764 cals (sooo long since I’ve seen the underside of 800 cals!!)
    😁

• posted by RubyG
    on

Pressed the button today for a refund on my lost order, and have re-ordered MM’s new book – hopefully it arrives in the next couple of days.
    No proper tracking yesterday, but at least I did start recording the weights of supper’s ingredients, and had a more moderate portion size for supper. By the end of today all leftovers are finished and MFP will be reinstated (it’s a pain to use, but I know I cannot guess-timate portions).
    Cold and crisp and clear here this morning, have a good day everyone!

on

Hi everyone, so glad to be back on plan. Had my last mouthful at 8pm and breakfast this morning at 10am because I was actually hungry – so not quite TRE but still 14 hours so not bad.

Breakfast yesterday was poached egg with grilled mushrooms, halloumi and bacon salad with half an avocado then instead of items on menu (pork chops in mustard sauce) I gave hubby a night off with a preprepared beef stew from the freezer. Still all came in at around 750 cals.

Not going to mention any weight loss as it is not important on a day to day basis as it can be up then down etc. I will report either on the last day of this week or on the next thread.

Have a good week everyone – enjoy this journey.

• posted by florob85
    on

Afternoon all, lovely to hear all your messages xx

I’m now on day three, sticking resolutely to plan and have been under 50g carbs and 800 cal, like Verano I struggle to also keep protein down and fibre up but I’m doing my best, scales say 3.5lb down since Monday morning but I know that’s mostly water but at least it’s a start!!

Carb flu has unfortunately hit me like a truck today though so feeling pigging awful!! Determined to push through though!

L x

• posted by RubyG
    on

S-G – 14 hours fast is still pretty good, and apart from the avocado, the menu sounds great.

Yesterday someone on here posted about ratatouille, so I made a big batch last night, which we had with some leftover roast lamb for supper, then a portion with a poached egg for breakfast today (and tomorrow). For those that like a bit of heat to their food, Al Fez Harissa paste is wonderful – yes it has 14.7g sugar per 100g, but I use a teaspoon in a batch of ratatouille and it has a lovely smoky warmth.

Lauren, best wishes in finding the strength to push through the carb flu.

Almost made it through the day with no between meal snacking (both of us), but I have realised my water intake has been woeful (unless you count 5 cups of black coffee!).

on

Hi Ruby, not sure if you have the wrong idea about avocado. I only ever have half of one, it was within my calories and is heart and cholesterol friendly. I dont have it often because I dont really like it but it is part of several of MMs recipes. Maybe you are worried it is too calorie dense.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Loving the energy and enthusiasm on the thread … so good to read all the posts full of ideas and encouragement.
    Going to look into the Al Fez Harrisa, Ruby … sounds very much like my sort of thing.
    Stick with it Lauren, I’m sure you’ll get through the carb ‘flu soon.
    S-G, a 14hr overnight fast counts …. anything over 12hrs is good. Like the sound of your breakfast.
    I had a pretty good day yesterday and doing okay so far today too. Despite good overnight fasts of 16hrs, still no real hunger which I’m finding a tad annoying ….. maybe tomorrow.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Re. avocado, it wasn’t a pop at your choice for any other reason than – I just don’t like it – there are not many foods I don’t like, but avocado is top of the list. I either can’t taste it (so don’t see the point of eating it), or it tastes like “green”. I know it’s good for you in so many ways, but I would be more willing to drink a tablespoon of olive oil than eat a tablespoon of avocado.
    I grew up in ZA, and we had avocado trees so have always had access to them but never liked them, and my tastes haven’t changed with age.
    I guess my avocado is Lauren’s Brazil nuts 🙂

on

Ruby, its a shame I cant do emojis or I would be laughing right now. I dont like avocado but force myself to buy one about every 2 or 3 weeks. It usually sits in the fruit bowl until it goes brown inside and end up in the bin. My heart healthy choice would also be nuts but I would eat too many so keep my hand out of the bag. 🙂

• posted by florob85
    on

Ruby, your avocado is my Brazil nuts, and also my avocado, I can’t bear it either 😂

Harissa is lovely, I use a rose harissa paste and a little goes a long way but makes SUCH a difference flavour wise, I often use it to roast vegetables or coat halloumi or chicken for a bit of punch!

I’m powering through, I haven’t caved yet to something carby even though my brain feels like it wants to climb out through my eyeballs!! I’ve changed my plan for dinner tonight to now be chicken in a mushroom and mustard sauce, was just going to do spicy chicken but the sauce is highly seasoned so I’m hoping that helps with the electrolyte balance thing!!

• posted by Verano
    on

I must be the odd one out … I love avocado… with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon or filled with canned tuna, salmon or prawns with a mayo sauce, or just ‘au naturale’. I guess it’s a bit like marmite!
    I also love all types of olives which I think are again a bit like marmite but we are all so different. It never fails to amaze me how foods reviewed on website range from ‘best thing since sliced bread’ to ‘poison’. We’re all so different but that’s great.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

V, I too love avocado, black olives and brazil nuts (just had a handful). I hate Brussel sprouts tho. Vive la difference.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Nuts – I have no restraint, apart from my single Brazil nut every night with half a portion of milk kefir. Every so often I forget, buy nuts, then end up eating them all, so best if they’re not available.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Olives – any type, any time, love them!
    Brussel sprouts – love them!
    Marmite – love that too, just don’t eat it anymore as nothing to spread it on.
    Best thing since sliced bread? Haven’t eaten commercial sliced bread in years and don’t plan to 😉

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

What’s bread? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• posted by florob85
    on

I too love nuts but can restrict myself unlike Ruby 😂 – I eat nuts most days, a handful of almonds or walnuts or cashews or macadamia, just not manky Brazil 😂

Olives 🤢

Marmite is nice on a twiglet! Also though I have used marmite in the past in sauces for a bit of umami – it does a similar thing to soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce, or use it to coat a piece of chicken for the last 10 mins cooking! Gives it a nice salty glaze!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Actually, I did have Marmite peanuts once 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

I have to go shopping after work this evening, MUST NOT BUY NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• posted by florob85
    on

But ruby nuts are so good 😈!

• posted by Verano
    on

WOW! So good to be travelling with avocado, olive and sprout lovers!
    Marmite is a step too far for me. But I must buy some Brazil nuts, I love them!
    For bread lovers in the UK there is one very low carb bread, 3.4g a slice but 80cals. Not sure I can advertise but take a look at Waitrose.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh so good to see everyone checking back in and sending you all a massive hug ! Love the enthusiasm , let’s keep that going ! You are all on the new list !

I always feel comforted when I see everyone posting .We are like one big family and care about each other !

Avocados ? Love em, all nuts too ! Dunno how to eat Marmite without toast . I can’t be trusted around nuts so am being very cautious and not eating them . For crunch I like to roast a few sunflower and pumpkin seeds in a pan and rescue them before they burn. They taste very toasty and are quite satisfying eaten with some avocado, lettuce and fermented veg ( I don’t count that because MM says I don’t have to !!)
    There aren’t many foods I don’t like to be honest. I do feel it’s a victory not to be tempted by alcohol, white carbs like bread, pasta, rice ,potatoes etc but sugar has proved to be alive and kicking as an addiction 🙁
    I need to wean myself off wanting something sweet but am allowing a few raspberries and a spoonful of Greek yoghurt if needed.

I made some tray bake ratatouille today too . I think it was caronl’s recipe on the Easter thread ? Not sure . It was a nice way of doing it . I don’t peel garlic and just throw in the cloves which go mushy like a purée when cooked .

If you really want to eat avocado you could try blitzing it in a smoothie ? I seem to remember it can be used in a sort of keto chocolate mousse too but I am not going to venture there . I saw in the new Fast 800 keto book that there are recipes for pancakes, muffins etc . I just dare not go there as I need to work on keeping my sweet tooth in check .

V, as far as the new book is concerned , I don’t think I have learnt anything new. Maybe keeping an eye on protein levels. I am presently checking out the recipes to get some new ideas .I also follow Dr Clare Bailey’s instagram posts for any new recipes.I also like divalicious
    https://divaliciousrecipes.com

I think we know what to do now but we still have work to do on portion control, comfort and emotional eating, managing stress etc and that is my focus for sure.

I never eat breakfast as it’s just a habit not to eat before lunch time now and I am trying to eat earlier so I have a long stretch before I eat again. Like V I have a new journal I use to log my foods.I haven’t got round to using the apps again yet . I still swear by my Carb and Calorie counter picture book which also gives fat, protein and fibre counts

That’s what is going on with me . Everyone is doing brilliantly .Lauren ride out the carb flu !
    All the best everyone !

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Weighing in on marmite … love it with butter on an almond cracker … yum!!

• posted by florob85
    on

Oh sunny could you share your almond cracker recipe again please? I forgot about those! I might make them and some seed crackers next week

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

I am down 2 2/4 lbs since Monday and back at target
    Today I have had:
    Breakfast at 11.30 – raspberries with Greek yogurt, mixed seeds and a sprinkle of cinnamon with my 1 cup of coffee today. Today being the first time I could smell the coffee 🙂
    Lunch at 2.30 – tuna bean and roast pepper salad
    Handful of Brazil nuts (End of pkt)
    Dinner will be at 7.30 – cardomon chicken and broccoli rice
    804 calories didn’t count the nuts 24 carbs

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Lauren, the almond cracker recipe is somewhere amongst the recipes on here, but happy to outline it again. I rarely weigh the ingredients these days though, so can’t speak for the cals/carbs, you’d need to work that out yourself, according yo quantities you use.
    So, I make them with almond flour, ground flax seed
    psyllium husk and whole chia, then chuck in whatever additional seeds (sesame, nigella, poppy seeds) or flavourings (rosemary, paprika, coriander, nutmeg etc) that I fancy …. or indeed other spices and/or herbs.
    I mix the dry ingredients together, before adding either a whole egg or egg white (the later provides less cals of course), plus enough water to bring everything together to make a fairly wet dough. The secret when rolling out the dough, is the do this between two sheets of baking parchment, so that you can get it really thin. Score the rolled out dough, then place the parchment with the scored dough onto a baking sheet and bake in a medium oven.
    Keep an eye on them, as the can very quickly go from almost done to burnt! I find that it helps to break up the crackers periodically during baking and rearrange them on the sheet, so they dry out evenly. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container. I personally don’t fuss about neat edges, so end up with some oddly shaped crackers.
    The above sounds like a huge faff and very time consuming, but in reality it only takes about half an hour to produce a batch.

Elle … cardamom is one of my very fab flavours, so could you share your chicken recipe please?

• posted by florob85
    on

Thank you Sunny!

I’ve just finished my day with chicken in a mustard sauce with purple broccoli and Brussels sprouts

For lunch I had some cold chicken, pickled onions, a bit of cheese and some walnuts

Skipped breakfast but had a black coffee, and a glass of sparkling water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar

The salt in dinner definitely helping with the carb flu, hoping an early night and plenty of water tomorrow will see off the worst of it!

Stats for today

794 calories
    32g fat
    20.9 carbs
    13g fibre (could be improved!)
    80g protein (bit on high side)

L x

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Sunny
    It is in the Fast Easy 800 book page 141
    This is what I did

Serves 2 305 calories 8g carbs
    1 tbs olive oil, 1 onion finely chopped, 2 peppers cut into 2cm chunks, 8 cardomon pods (I added extra) crushed and seeds removed (I prefer it that way, but you could just chuck them in as recipe says), 2 chicken breasts in chunks, 2 cm finely chopped ginger, 1 TSP cumin seeds (I had run out so used ground), 1/2tsp chilli flakes, 1 TSP garam masala, 200ml chicken stock, 2 tbs creme fraiche, handful chopped coriander.
    Cook onion, peppers, oil in pan until onions start to brown. Add chicken and ginger for 3 mins, add cumin, chilli and garam masala for 30 seconds stirring. Add stock, season and coriander, simmer for 20 mins. Add creme fraiche and cook for another 2 mins.

I have posted a photo of it.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CYXDOe6Mny6/?utm_medium=copy_link

• posted by Tulip1
    on

yeeessss! Well done everyone!
    Lauren- you can do this!!
    I love sprouts, avocado and brazil nuts…..
    I detest marmite!!!!!
    Day 2 in the 800s….happy with that, and I am starting to feel good- clean eating, positive action good ☺…

love to all, Tulip xxx

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hi all! Happy New Year! Good to see so many of us back and keen to reset iam also easing back in and then me and my other half will start tracking and weighing properly next week.
    I have just quit my job and have an eight week notice period, so am hoping to use these 8 weeks as I wind down work wise to focus on my eating and exercise. Hopefully I can feel good going into my new job and will have developed healthy habits by the time I take up my new post. Today is the first day I felt like I haven’t over eaten since the festive period and I took myself to body pump this evening. Really looking forward to getting stuck in. Think I will re read the book, but am also interested in looking at the 800 Keto book, so might purchase that.
    Might also dip into the countdown to Easter thread

• posted by Onestep
    on

Brilliant, it Sounds like everyone is doing great so far!
    I’m a mix love sprouts, can eat avocado but like fish got to be in the mood, olives and marmite a big nooooo from me 😆
    I do love the cardamom chicken recipe.

So far I’m on day 5 have done okay, apart from last night, was first day back after the holidays and just felt the cravings building throughout the day and it put me in such a bad mood so caved in the evening but its all back on track again today, so it seems I’m going to be in for a bumpy start but it will settle in no time I’m sure.

• posted by RubyG
    on

The cardamom chicken sounds good – may be an idea for supper tonight.
    I did not buy nuts when shopping last night, in fact no snacks of any kind made it into the trolley 🙂 – feeling very smug!
    I did buy a net of Scottish mussels and we had a version of Breton mussels for supper last night, with added sliced fennel and samphire to get some greens in the bowl – very yummy!
    The turkey soup is now finished, so today’s soup will be a mixed veg/tomato based soup, served with a few thin slices of nduja – they pack a lot of flavour.
    Breakfast was poached egg/s with ratatouille, nice and warming on a cold, clear and crisp day (my car was saying -6.5°C at 08h00 this morning, in rural Buckinghamshire).

Please log in or register to post a reply.