2022 ! One Week at a Time beginning 25th January 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !

We started January with renewed enthusiasm and we are still here so let’s keep going ! This month can be notoriously difficult ( in the Northern Hemisphere anyway ) and a bit grey . It’s normal to feel in need of comfort and temptations are always lurking .

Just do your best. Plan ahead as much as you can and don’t get despondent if you feel you are not progressing as you would like . It will happen . Re read Californiagirl’s post from last week and believe !

Remember the days will get longer and brighter. Spring is coming !

I see that Covid tests will no longer be required for fully vaccinated travellers entering the UK from 11th February which is good news .I am still a bit perplexed about the situation because here in France cases are only just levelling off and cases in school are still extremely high . We all know someone here who has had Covid .

On a positive note my son tested negative to enable travel to Paris via Singapore and Brisbane !! I think you can imagine my excitement ! My boy will be in France at the end of this week ! I haven’t seen him since our last Christmas in the UK in 2019 .

As I have said in my previous post I am going to persevere with my ADF experiment and see how I get on . I am still trying out new recipes . This weekend I roasted radishes ( the red ones and also the very peppery thick black ones we can get here ( Daikon radish ??? ) and some chunks of kohlrabi . They are supposed to be a good potato substitute . Now… I haven’t had spuds , chips , roasties etc for a very very long time but I think potatoes definitely taste better but honestly these roasted radishes were not bad . I tossed them in olive oil and seasoning.You can add herbs, chili flakes etc . They lose their peppery taste and are quite crunchy .

Off to post the updated list now xxx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Still here and still trying to find proper focus, so thank you for another inspirational kick off post for this week, Wendy. Had thought I’d done okay last week, but the scales had another opinion this morning. This has given me the push I’ve needed to get my act together, so today has been full-on weighing, measuring and I’ll be recording it all.

Anyway, no matter how well or badly you did last week, this is a fresh start, a new week to do with as you will. Let’s make this one count.

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Wendy what lovely news about your son. You must be beside yourself with excitement. I’m pleased for you.
    Well all was well and had hit my sub goal of 10.13 on Saturday which had meant another 4 pounds off. However Mother Nature has a different plan for me and the arrival of my period has seen my bloated and carb craving. I have stuck to plan, but have gained 1.5 by today. I think some coconut milk in my curry may have had something to do with it. Anyway I remain resolute as my body is changing shape, so a NSV when I look in the mirror. I also went spinning and to body pump at the weekend, so am confident I’m making changes. Plus I’m going to keep going with dry January into dry February as it seems to be having a positive impact. I’m going to maintain focus and see where I am when my period goes again. But for now it’s the sofa, my hot water bottle and some rubbish TV. Good luck for the week all

• posted by Tulip1
    on

yay! Another MM week….thank you Wendy, SunnyB and SG

😚😚😚😚😚

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you for this new thread.
    Wendy you must be on cloud 9!
    It really has been a terrible couple of years for us all but we now have to have to a positive outlook and plan for the best, fingers crossed!
    My goal this week is to stick as close as I can to 990 calories ‘everyday’ not just the odd day or two.
    Have a good week.

• posted by florob85
    on

And just to demonstrate my point below about brain fog, I posted in the wrong forum!

Hi Laura and welcome, we’re a lovely bunch xx

I’m back in for another week, I’m now down 11lb in three weeks which is unheard of for me, but obviously good.

I’ve been reading along with everyone’s posts, welcome back to all returners, well done to all who are going great guns and big hugs to all who need it

I’m not in a great space mentally at the moment, let’s say it’s been a difficult week, and my sincerest thanks go to Wendy and Tulip for checking in with me in private and showing so much love! Anyway so I’ll be dipping in and out, and may not be able to concentrate on who said what or did what etc. as my brain is very foggy at the moment, but rest assured I’m here with you all in spirit!

I’m just planning todays meals, I think mozzarella, chicken, pesto and piquant peppers for lunch with a handful of almonds and mayyyyybe kung pao chicken for tea. Last night I invented a new dish and I have to say it was delicious. I used to make a SW “cheeseburger pasta” recipe – obviously not BSD friendly due to the pasta, but I thought “why don’t I make the mix and put it in a pepper?” – so I had cheeseburger stuffed pepper with some mixed salad leaves and pickles and it was really tasty. Although I have to say plating the pasta on my partners dish was not the easiest!

Lauren x

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Great news about your son Wendy.
    S-G hope you get your whoosh moment soon.
    We have just booked a few days in England to see my son and brothers in late March
    I have made ‘mashed potatoes’ by blitzing cooked cauliflower florets with a drained tin of chickpeas, a little marscapone, olive oil and spring onions and a tiny bit of grated cheese. OH said you wouldn’t know it wasn’t potatoes.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone and happy new week. Thanks for the thread Wendy. You must be so happy right now with your son arriving soon.

Sorry Elle-Mae but didnt get a whoosh but did drop back down to what I was last week. No loss, no gain. So, not exactly a plateau but stuck for a bit. I know, as I am sticking to this, that something will happen soon.

On a good news note, BG is steady at around 100 (5.0), giving it another couple of days before I reduce insulin down again.

I hope everyone has a good week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done Russianroulade ! You are right not to focus solely on the scales . Other beneficial changes will be happening for sure .

Be proud of those discarded pounds Lauren ! Well done for producing interesting meals . It would be so easy to turn to carbage when you are feeling low .We are always looking out for you xx

Things will happen soon SG .I think you are spot on about us not showing much movement on the scales just now as we are several years on this way of eating .I didn’t weigh this week .I will have a look at the end of the month

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks Merry for reposting Esnecca’s message.That is a classic and spot on for motivation. Thanks SG for giving a few pointers to Laura and anyone else starting out.
    All the best for this week ,V. It’s important to have special times especially after all the restrictions.

Merry , my Alternate Day Fasting looks like this
    Dinner Sunday evening
    Fast all day Monday
    Eat lunch and dinner on Tuesday
    Fast Wednesday
    Eat lunch and dinner on Thursday
    Fast Friday
    Weekend lunch and dinner
    Start again on Monday

I’m not a saint and I can’t handle water only so I have cream in 2 coffees and then drink water and herbal teas the rest of the day . My fasts average 40 hours because I never eat breakfast. It’s surprisingly manageable because I just tell myself ‘ I can eat tomorrow”
    I used to do OMAD ( One Meal a Day) frequently when I was working so that got me into the fasting habit and honestly I don’t feel any discomfort. I am careful with electrolytes and I have to wrap up because I feel cold on fasting days.
    It’s important not to go overboard on the ‘feeding days’ and I allow some Greek yoghurt and berries but no nuts. I know extended fasting doesn’t suit everyone but even shorter fast and intermittent fasting , skipping breakfast or lunch has proven benefits.
    I will see how I get on anyway .

Thanks for all the lovely messages about my son who is on a Singapore Airlines flight to Paris as I type this . Tomorrow morning he will be in Paris !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tomorrow will be a good day 😉

• posted by LittleDrummerGirl
    on

Evening all (where I am, anyway!), thought I’d re-join the forums and say ‘hi’! I was a member years ago (back in 2019 maybe?) but can’t even remember my username, so I’ve got a new one! Recognise many usernames on here though!

Had good success with Fast800 back in 2019 and eventually transitioned to keto & fasting a la Jason Fung style. Went well and enjoyed the fasting a lot – never got to goal, but felt quite good about myself and enjoyed fasting. Anyway, covid happened, at the same time as risk of redundancy and some other stresses etc, etc and the weight went back on when low carb and regular fasting went out the window (although I managed to keep occasional fasting going and believe it resolved the long covid that hovered around for six months or so). Have been back to fasting now and then over the last couple of years, but need to sort out the low carb side of things to see the weight start to move, so thought I’d pop back on Fast800 at the start of this year to get back into a bit of a routine.

Losses so far were 7.6lb first week, 3.2lb second week and tomorrow will tell for the third – although it was my birthday last week and we were away for the weekend where alcohol, carbs and general naughtiness was consumed (and very much enjoyed!). Back on keto & F800 since yesterday and we’ll see what the damage is in the morning, then onwards and downwards!

So anyway – ‘hi’!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome back LittleDrummerGirl !
    You would have to check back through the 2019 weekly threads to find your former username but for now you are LDG and you are on the list !
    All.the very best !

• posted by Tulip1
    on

That fake mashed potato sounds interesting Elle Mae, I might try that one day.

Brilliant thread, nice to meet you newcomers or returners and hiya to all the current regulars….sounds like everyone is kinda
    getting on track since the new year….I’ve lost 8lbs now- week1: 1 lb (false start), week 2: 4 lbs, week 3: 3 lbs…..happy with that as had a little celebration drinky break on Friday …..7 lbs left to be back to my goal and then see if I want to lose a little more to give me a buffer for things like hols and Christmas.

Love to all xxx

• posted by LittleDrummerGirl
    on

Evening all!

Thought I’d stop by and report in with this week’s WI – a gain of 0.6lb, which I’m quite happy with. Definitely worth it for the birthday weekend and it’ll be gone next week.

Hope you’re all well and having a good day.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

morning all….having a surprisingly weird and busy couple of days….I’m actually applying for a few extra hours at work in a different role….I’ve not tried anything new for years due to having to step down my previous role when learning to manage my long term health conditions….I’ve been consistently stable for a while now so…..weird but good. WOE going well in the background tho….no off plan food since 2.5 little roasties on Sunday and TRE at least 12:12 every night….holding for a week now at 9 st 7 (I’m 5ft 0 so top of normal BMI for me is 9 st 1). I reckon if I apply myself to drop the cals more (not been as low as 800 any recent days) then I should start to see a shift again….other stats like HR nice and low again and fitbit is telling me my fitness level is increasing so I’m happy with that 🙂

Love to all,
    Tulip xxx

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Good luck with your new role Tulip 😁🌷

on

Hi everyone and welcome to littledrummergirl (if I havent already said that). Well done Tulip, congrats on your new role.

I think I am just going to have to say I am doing maintenance as that is what is happening right now. Stuck. I know it isnt a plateau as I have been doing this diet for years so it is just that it is harder for me to lose anything. My focus always remains on my health now. BG 76 (4.1) so well pleased and reducing insulin. 5 more nights of dry January, thats not a problem, just that it straddles yet another weekend. Hoping to stay dry until my bithday meal out on the 5th. (birthday 7th). That will be my cheat weekend and hopefully might give me a kick start back into losing as has been suggested on other posts. Not sure it works although could be possible if you can get straight back onto the diet with no problems.

Now we have decided to stay in our French home for at least another 3 to 5 years I have started a list of all the things that need doing. Poor hubby wont know what’s hit him, although it wont be him doing the work. Rather than being down hearted, daughter has said she is going to do something similar now she doesnt have to earmark a big lump of cash to help us out. A move would have cleaned us out of all our capital from the house sale and all our savings and would have meant daughter couldnt get on with some alterations she really wants to do. Best decision all round, besides which, we love it here. Just got very lonely during the last 2 years. So hope everyone is coming out of this strange time with renewed hope and motivation.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g great news on the blood sugar front.
    It’s funny that you talk about finding it harder to lose weight after eating this way for so long, because this morning I went back through my weight loss journal. I discovered that, obviously I did better at the start, but I also realise that in the ‘olden’ days of the basic Blood Sugar Diet, before all the ‘research’, ‘tweaks’ , TRE, IF, and all the other new twists, I did really well on three meals a day, weighing and counting. Sometimes, as they say, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it! I also find that sometimes if I’m ‘stuck’ throwing in an extra meal helps when I’m doing TMD.
    Glad you’ve found peace with your decision to stay put for the moment. Enjoy!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

S-G I’m glad you have made your decision on moving. I’d only it weren’t for Covid, in sure we would all like to visit you 😉 to stop you feeling lonely, you are so helpful and supportive of all of us 🤗

• posted by Tulip1
    on

thank you lovelies 😚😚….just to clarify….I haven’t landed the role quite yet….we are in the discussion stage….but even that is a big step for me- will keep you all posted xxx

on

Hi there, just popped in to say you are all very quiet. I cant complain as I have been too. Is it the end of the month blues. I know for me it is that I have been stuck at exactly the same weight for 14 days now. Quite disheartening but I am still koko. Looking forward to Tuesday when I can enjoy a nice v&t and make a reboot. Keep going everyone, as I keep telling myself, it will get better – whatever ‘it’ might be for you.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone .Yes the thread is a bit quiet SG, and I hope everyone is ok ? The longer term 100 days to Easter thread is thriving but if you have had an off day or two in your week, and don’t feel like checking in here, don’t worry ! Don’t let it derail you completely . Tomorrow is another week and soon to be a new month .

I said I would let you know how the ADF experiment with JGwen is going . I decided on a January reboot but only did ADF from the 17th. I have surprisingly found it very manageable and as I said, just to say ‘You can eat tomorrow’ somehow helps and I get through with no real discomfort. I decided to weigh myself yesterday for the first time since January 1st and I have discarded a grand total of 5lbs ! Not a massive loss and to be honest I never expect big numbers these days .I do find my clothes are feeling looser and especially my jeans are less snug .I seem to shrink around the waist but still have a lot of belly fat which has always been my problem . I will maybe have to work on the feeding days so I keep my portions under control .Those are the days when I have Greek yoghurt and berries . I always have LOTS of vegetables with my protein of choice for the day and I find it really difficult to restrict those .I have been regularly putting radishes in with my tray of roast veggies along with fennel, courgette, red pepper and garlic,

Now …. I am not going to be able to continue my ADF next week because my son gets in to Montauban ( the nearest big town from here ) at 1pm TOMORROW !!!!!!!!!!!! He is getting the train down from Paris and I am so excited and so so happy to think he will soon be home !! So I will be cooking lots but this is one special time !

I will start the new thread tomorrow but if I struggle to find time I am sure SunnyB or SG will step in .

I have had a massive grin on my face all weekend !!

Take care everyone xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy ENJOY!!!

• posted by florob85
    on

Hey all just popping in to say hi, it’s been an absolutely horrible horrible week and I’ll be honest the diet has definitely not been at its optimum, I’ve been firefighting all week and just now all I want to do is hibernate and eat my weight in all the things that are bad for me, but trying to get back on track with one meal at a time and have some chicken roasting in the oven which I’ll have with some broccoli and sprouts and some gravy. Then I’m putting my onesie on and going to hide under the covers and pretend the rest of the world doesn’t exist.

Hope all are ok xx

Lauren xx

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁Wendy

• posted by florob85
    on

Oh yes Verano and Elle mae you reminded me! sending Wendy enormous hugs, enjoy your special time with your boy!!!

L x

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Wendy- how exciting!!
    Lauren- big hug xx
    I’m ok….had some very off-plan occurrences this weekend, but have had plenty of fresh air and exercise too.
    I’m planning to be super good the next 4 days.
    I don’t know if it’s because I’ve not looked at as many MM type things or similar peeps ideas, being a relative newbie, but I am finding quite a bit of new info in the Fast 800 keto….as in, more of a slant towards reducing processed foods (although that was covered in previous books and something I was doing any way), and a little more generous on the calories front, and indeed confirming the freedom of veggies, which I hadn’t quite grasped before, us the 50:50 rule seems a nice straightforward guide. Also, a couple of yummy recipes I’ve not seen before that I plan to try out, or something similar. So, I’ve found it a nice source of new inspiration. Also thinking about this 3:4 pattern more so that’s what I’m planning to try this week.
    Love to all,
    Tulip
    xxx

• posted by RubyG
    on

I’ve been working away last week, not had much chance to catch up on the posts, and not weighed or tracked, but remained low carb for the week, so not all bad. I also ate a lot of fish last week, which in my view is a good thing.
    Back home last night, had a small steak with salads (mixed leaves with cherry tomatoes, and shredded brussel sprouts with mixed seeds and pomegranate seeds) – I know the pomegranate seeds aren’t hugely on plan but 1/4 of a pomegranate won’t kill/
    This morning I was tempted to do 16:8, but saw that someone else on the threads posted that they lost best early on in their BSD journey with 3 meals, low carb and 800cals, without all the tweaks and tricks, and I think that’s true for me too.
    On the upside, I hurt my tooth eating some mixed nuts (I think there were some dried peas in the mix too), and it’s still tender, so I am eating more slowly and avoiding things like nuts – silver lining and all that.
    Here’s planning for a good week back to basics.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Wendy I bet you barely slept in anticipation of your son’s arrival. Enjoy all your catching up and cooking and dining. What a pleasure!
    Tulip – good to hear that you are enjoying the new MM book. I finally get my copy from the library tomorrow 📚📚
    I am into the second week of my restart. I did have Sat night off plan – and have been paying for it since! Over the last few years I think I have been having an increasing intolerance to wheat, and now mostly keep it out of my diet. I had some kibbeh at a restaurant on Saturday made with bulgur (wheat grains) and my tummy has been upset since. But that has meant that I have kept on track since then.
    It’s been hot here and ridiculously humid for this region – we are used to vey dry heat. Very severe flooding in many more northern parts of Australia and that humid air is going across the country. Phew. I rarely use my air conditioner but it’s been on every day the last 2-3 weeks.
    Hello sunshine girl. I hope the end of month blues lift as we jump into February.
    Good to read your post Lauren. I hope the onesie and doona warmed you inside and out.

on

Back again to report a tiny loss – 0.2kg. Not celebrating yet as I have been there before and it only lasted a day. We are sat here in the cold as our hot water boiler has sprung a leak and it is the feed to the heating system. Hopefully mr plumber will be here soon.

Looking at the recipes in the new Keto800 book we have tried a few. Saag and halloumi tandoori – too many calories although I cut down the halloumi by about 10g and forgot to add the cashews at the end so kept it quite low. Hubby cooked the lamb stew with beans and, again, quite high in calories and carbs. Yesterday I did the pulled pork and, unfortunately it was very dry although I was meant to stir the shredded pork back into the gravy mix. Will keep trying, always good to give it a go just for a change. Tonight I will stick with an old favourite, bolognaise parmegiano – bolognaise meat sauce topped with softened aubergine rings and cheese sauce made from creme fraiche and cheese mixed.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone . I’m just a bit distracted 😉 and a very very happy Mum having my boy back home . Lots to catch up on and it’s wonderful !

Merry he is finding France a bit chilly to say the least after Cairns and Melbourne !!

I’m going to set up the new thread xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Just one word Wendy …. ENJOY!!!
    See you on the new thread.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thank you so much everyone for your good wishes !

I did set up the new thread but it didn’t appear and there seems to be a bug on the site .

I have a copy of my intro so will keep trying xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.