2022 ! One Week at a Time beginning 11th January 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

So good to see the renewed motivation on the thread and as always lots of support available .
    It does feel good getting back into my usual routine and committing to at least 30 minutes of stretching, pilates etc every day .
    I am still collating my recipes so keep the meal ideas coming . That keeps us inspired and less likely to succomb to carbage .

Feeling good about the positivity and familiar names on the thread and a big welcome to anyone who wants to join us !

Remember low carb is for life, not just for January 🙂 🙂

Wendy, SunnyB and sunshine-girl

• posted by wendleg
    on

This is our list for 2022 so far

Wendleg
    SunnyB
    Sunshine-girl
    Florob85/Lauren
    Antigone
    RubyG
    Onestep
    Tulip1/Clare
    Verano
    Elle-Mae
    Russianroulade
    Californiagirl/Julia
    Stevoka/Kerry

• posted by wendleg
    on

If you have had a good number on the scales this first week , fantastic ! That’s a great boost as the weeks progress .

If you have had a more disappointing result, please don’t be despondent . Don’t give up !!

Try not to get too focused on the scales as your only way of measuring success if it affects your mood . Give it time , it will happen. For some of us daily weighing is necessary for accountability .Choose what feels right for you .

Also , check how your clothes fit , take different body measurements…

Don’t worry about comparing your results with others .It’s irrelevant .It’s your body and we are all different in how we respond, depending on whether we are new to this way of eating or we have been doing it for some time .

Remember you are doing this for your health not for a beach body 😉

• posted by florob85
    on

Yo yo yo wassup ma homebodies!

Sorry I’m in a weird mood 😂

All aboard for another week, I think I’m finally past the carb flu, covid is receding, toe is healing……let’s do this!

Pip pip cheerio and ttfn lovelies

Lauren x

• posted by wendleg
    on

Good to hear you are feeling a bit better, Lauren although I felt I needed a translator for part of your message (I’ve been out of the UK too long 😂😂)

Go steady this week .You have a disturbing accident prone tendancy and you cannot be trusted to get through a week scot free . We will be watching you 😂
    Seriously,so glad the carb flu and covid symptoms are receding and you still have your toe. All.the very best for this week !

• posted by florob85
    on

“Disturbing accident prone tendency” is probably the nicest way anyone has ever said “you’re a clumsy idiot” Wendy 😂😂😂😂

Lauren x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for the new thread Wendy, I agree that the energy on the weekly thread has been buzzing and a pleasure to be around. You are so right about scales readings not being the be all and end all. It’s so important to look at the bigger picture and idebtufy the other benefits of this way of eating …. clearer skin, sleeping better, clothes fitting better, etc.

Great to see you so upbeat Lauren despite your various ills, your positivity is impressive. Glad you are feeling better … hopefully you’ll soon be fully fit again.

My week has been okay, definitely more controlled. Digestive transit isn’t back to normal yet post festive indulgence and I think that is messing with my scales readings. Overall though, feeling better for being in a more normal pattern of eating.

Will be around this coming week, although with a birthday in a few days and visiting with parents, sticking to my normal eating may be challenged. Will do my best to make good choices and stay in control though.

Whatever your results from the past week, just focus on now and making the next meal a good BSD choice. Have a great week everyone.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Haha Lauren, glad to know you are starting to feel better 😁
    I was a bit bad yesterday had a Burger King, interestingly later on although not feeling hungry I did want to eat, but I resisted, proving that carbs do make you want to eat more. However the scales have me back to my pre Christmas weight.
    I was making a leek and parsnip soup earlier and it reminded me that I used to slice through the leeks vertically and open up the individual leek slices and use them as fake lasagne sheets.
    Hope everyone has a good week

• posted by Verano
    on

Well I’m back for week 2. Good to still see so much positivity here especially as we are living ‘blue Monday’ today.
    I’m just going to carry on weighing and logging this week. Just pleased that I’m only 3.2lbs away from my original goal of 10% loss. Can’t really believe I did so well in 2016/17 and am now trying to get back to my first 10% loss. Such is life but I’ll get there this week or next, no pressure, and can then set my next goal.
    Have a good week everyone.

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Evening all. Russian Roulade reporting for duty. As promised to myself this is week one. The Christmas cheese has gone, the panettone demolished, the crisps vanished. The carbs have left the building. Feeling buoyed and ready to do these 8 weeks. Aiming for a stone loss, that would take me almost back to my 2014 weight, so am really going to commit myself. There’s a lot of positivity on this thread, so let’s motivate each other.

• posted by florob85
    on

Welcome back Russian!

Well I’ve just checked in for the week and have lost 7.8lb – this is the best loss I’ve ever had on any plan in my first week and so I’m hoping it means either I’m finally doing something right, or my body is just ready. I know these losses will slow and I’m prepared for that, I’m also taking measurements as advised although I don’t know if I’m very good at doing that as they never seem to be very consistent! Not stressing over macros, I’ll keep tweaking but at the moment I seem to be low carb enough to be having an impact on insulin resistance so fingers crossed it stays that way. Fortunately I’ve not had to drop below 20g to get there so I have that as a back up if I need to tweak some more.

I also, although haven’t tested, think I might actually be in ketosis for the first time ever – I actually feel quite “well” today – not buzzing with energy but I rarely do with all my long term health issues, but I feel about as well as I ever do and I’m not actually hungry which is very unusual for me, so I think my body might have finally “flipped the switch”!

We have a venue meeting for our wedding today which we have to do over zoom as I’m still in self isolation, but it’s all actually beginning to feel like it might actually happen after 2 years of disappointment so fingers crossed everyone!

Hope all are well and have a fantabulous Tuesday

L xx

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hello and happy new year my BSD friends.

Well i feel I have completely fallen off the wagon, not only that but i can almost see it running away into the sunset without me. Looking for a bit of help to catch it up and hop back on and enjoy the ride!
    I’ve been ‘mindful’ but certainly over indulged for, er…., far too long really, need a bit of courage to stand on the scales and face where i am at. It cant be good…. my size 12 jeans that i worked so hard to get into are certainly on the very snug side!!
    Mission……
    – dry january – so far so good! I cant believe this is me, i have never struggled not to want a drink but last year i think has taken its toll and its a habit i MUST break so i am 100% committed on that front!
    – ditch the carbs – I’m struggling, i can go one day, then eat a cracker or 6….. I know i need to make it to day 3 or 4 and it will get easier. I just have to make myself get there.
    – rein in the portions and calories….this will be easier without the carbs….. currently when i eat i want to overeat…. it is not fun!!
    – meditation… i need to find a way back to this, something in me is making me avoid it….I’m not sure why, i got a lot from it, dont know if im self sabotaging or I just dont feel i want to unlock some of the emotional stuff that is in there….although consciously i know unlocking it brings me peace…..

I think maybe regular posting on here will help me be accountable to the above…… Today – consumed so far 2 x white coffees. Planned….. er, I have left over veggies from Sunday to make into a soup plus a couple of slices of roast beef to have with salad. I shall commit to NO pudding and NO crackers! I am also going to run 5km this evening – the one thing i have managed to do reasonably is keep running! Biggest achievement over festivities was a half marathon on Hogmonay, but jings it was a challenge, would be much easier a bit leaner and fuelled by fat not carbs!!

So please may i chase your wagon? can someone dangle something off the back to entice me and help me grab on?
    So glad to see familiar people in here and still keeping on…. you are a great bunch!

• posted by RubyG
    on

RubyG and hubby hanging on, him better than me at the moment (but then he has blood tests to look forward to).
    I am still eating my body weight in cheese 🙂 after all the Christmas cheese, we still bought more nice cheese at the farmers’ market on the weekend!
    And although I didn’t buy nuts when I went shopping last week – I found some in the cupboard!
    I have weighed everything we’ve eaten over the past few days, but not entered it into MFP – not very useful, but I seem to be maintaining at the moment (again) and struggling to find my why to lose that stone that I really should lose. I’ll find it again 🙂
    Hubby found a photo on his phone last night from an event we attended in May 2018, we weren’t at our largest then by any means, but the photo horrified him.
    I have skim-read the last few days’ worth of posts, with a mix of people’s stories, successes and struggles – we are all on our own path but the support here is great.
    Today’s Action for Happiness calendar says “Switch off all your tech at least an hour before bedtime” – this gives me a good excuse to get stuck into the new MM book.
    Have a good week all.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Lauren …. woohoo!! That’s a brilliant scales result🎉🎊🥳. Hope the zoom meeting for your wedding venue goes well and that ultimately you get that special day you have been waiting so long for.
    Julz …. I too fell off the wagon. My solution (such as it is) is to begin slowly. Taking on too much at once, might give you too much of a burden in one go. Why not concentrate on ditching the alcohol and reigning in the carbs, as your initial foray back for this week? Next week, if you have been in control, add in pulling down portion size. Don’t worry about weighing in at the moment. If I know I have gained, I often give myself a week or two of more controlled eating, before braving the scales.
    The meditation avoidance might be, as you say, a subconscious block associated with a worry about dealing with locked emotions. Have you ever used EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique)? It’s very good for shifting emotional blocks, this link gives reasonable directions in how to use EFT, if you want to take a look. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326434#overview

Had a pretty good low carb day yesterday and haven’t yet broken my overnight fast today, will hang on until I’m hungry. This evening, I’m going to try out Cardamom Chicken.
    Hope your day goes well.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, great to see so much energy and enthusiasm. Lets keep it up.

Lauren, no wonder you are feeling so good. 7.8lbs is great and all your wellness is kicking in – although be careful what you kick.

Weight loss for this week is 2.6lbs. Not bad for someone who never actually strays much – even Christmas Day, no mash, no roasties, no mince pies or cake. Maybe a few too many wines. Funnily enough I have really learnt to pace myself where alcohol is concerned. Family had a cocktail evening with sil (to be) making lots of weird and wonderful things. First of all they are usually too sweet for me, so just take a sip to try. It was fun to watch everyone getting rather merry while I stayed sober and still enjoyed myself and joined in the dancing – grandson teaching me some shapes 🙂 Anyway back to the subject. So I only gained just under 3 lbs over the whole holiday period and now lost most of that. Also lost 2.5 inches which is as it should be – 1 inch for every pound is about right.

Did my first exercise session this morning so that might give me a boost. And as usual I then jump on my wiifit to formally log my results – it is about as high tech as I get although I do have Garmin Connect. I was going to make an effort and go swimming each Wednesday but maybe with covid numbers around 100k it might not be such a good idea. They have been as high as 300k so hopefully things are getting better.

Have a gret week everyone and koko…

• posted by Tulip1
    on

o.m.g. So I did great last week until the weekend…..which had a planned off day as I was taking middle child to Bath shopping and caffe nero was in the plan (my fave ever coffee place 😍)…..but, oops, I seem to also, as Julz put it, fallen off the wagon….I forgot that every time I restart if I try to go low cal at the same time as low carb I end up grabbing whatever sh**e (carbs) are at hand…..so, lesson, re- low carb myself, then drop the cals….and I really don’t think I can take a weekend break till I shift this weight…does that sound sensible?
    Also my mood has dropped again….which also contributed to today’s carbage….but it won’t help me (or my mood)….
    Also like Julz, the one thing I didn’t drop over the no-diet period was walks and runs, and I returned to Zumba this week too….I had a good run this afternoon.
    Anyhow, help me fix this carbage peeps, all advice welcome! I need to get back on the proper med style tomorrow (well, planning a no carb dinner tonight as well and overnight 12 hr TRE as usual) and soon after drop the cals properly to 800 (I am thinking Thurs)…
    Amazeballs on the weightloss etc Lauren! I need to follow your lead.

Tulip xxxxx

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hello from Santa Fe, New Mexico (that’s still the U.S. 🤣) — we are on a mid-winter bit of ski/culture holiday — my mom and dad left a house here when they passed away and it is a good break when we want to escape the endless California “energy”.

Luckily it’s a warm January, so at 7000 feet elevation (aaagh, what is that in meters?) we are not freezing and outdoors is cold but “do-able”. Skiing is good 3000 feet further up the mountain (Santa Fe sits at the southern terminus of the Colorado Rockies).

I am interested in the “macros” discussion as I struggled for years to figure that all out before just realizing that if you are eating well and healthfully, you WILL hit the right macros. I think it is sort of a headache to worry about them. I encourage you NOT to worry about them.

Dr Bikman (still my favorite) says “prioritize the protein” and if you do that, and fill in behind with the “good” veggies, the rest sorts itself!
    Don’t work too hard!!! There is no perfect diet here. Prioritize protein, eat veggies, avoid “industrialized” carbohydrate — its easier than we think. Fiber will also sort itself.

Dr Bikman is recommending 1 – 1.5 grams protein per kilogram ideal body weight. That’s a lot of protein but research is supporting that!! Especially for older folk — it is a good starting point. I know it’s harder if you are vegetarian (don’t know if vegan can get there) so look carefully as you choose foods — maybe add in fish, extra eggs, etc.

Sounds like everyone is doing well! Sunshine girl I’m so glad you decided to stay in France! Anyone struggling, just keep trying — this is something we have to LEARN to do!! It takes some time and your gut flora/fauna needs to catch up (as JGwen says— hope you feel better soon JGwen)

Stay calm. Avoid the scales if they de-rail you (they do me!) Don’t sabotage yourself by expecting a miracle!

Bundle up, go outside! 😀😀 I personally am feeling happier as Covid recedes and Omicron is proving “mild”. I would like my full life back! Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Julia

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Tulip, draw a line under your transgretion and take things one meal at a time. If you’re tempted to eat something off plan, pause for a moment to question yourself … are you hungry / why are you thinking about eating it / how will you feel after eating it? I find if I take a moment like this, most often I’ll decide to walk away and if I don’t walk away, it’s been a conscious decision to indulge and in doing so, undertake to deal with any fall-out later.

Julia, sounds like you are having a wonderful time, enjoy! Personally, I think you are right about not fretting about the macros … or maybe that’s just because I think I’d find trying to work it all out, would just be too stressful. I follow the prioritising protein route and that’s always been successful for me thankfully.

However today has gone for you, tomorrow will dawn fresh and clean, ready for you to use it as you will, marking it with the next little bit of your story.

on

Hi SunnyB! Good to hear you also find the managing of macros stressful. I think we over-think this stuff! 😀

• posted by Onestep
    on

Hi everyone,

So far so good, had a bit of a heavier carb day today but all good on plan, I can definitely tell when I have too many carbs as feel bloated in the evening so low carb suits me better.
    I do keep tracking but realised I don’t need to anymore as I know as I know what to eat and what not to eat and all meals apart from slight variations are from the mm books, still working my way through the new book, just not finding the time at the moment but great motivator and looking forward to trying some new recipes.

Have a good week all xx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi all,
    Day 8……re starting…total loss over 1 week….1 lb…..14-16 lbs to go….
    Also I’d like to read some things by these other gurus peeps keep mentioning….books are good (but don’t want to be reading now very out of date stuff if you know what I mean), as are internet written articles/ scientific journal articles….you tube and podcasts less so as I never get around to watching/ listening to stuff but if that’s where I need to go then I can file it for later….I feel podcasts would be a useful thing to get into….so do tell. I need inspiration!!!

Tulip xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi CaliforniaGirl,

Its interesting that Dr Bikman is very strongly of the view that meat is the best protein source and has been quite clear in a couple of video posts that plant based protein sources are not as effective.

There is the option of posting a question via the InsulinIQ website so I asked if this is a topic that can be covered in a future podcast. . What trace elements are missing from plant protein?

He did talk in a podcast that the only situation in nature where you have sugar and fat is in milk. Which is intended to help a young child increase weight rapidly during the most intense growth spurt of their lives. He was saying that meat contains both protein and fat which is ideal mix.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi JGwen and Julia

Just wanted to add my tuppenceworth to the plant protein discussion, wearing my biochemist hat!

Sorry if I’m preaching to the choir!

Basically proteins are made up of 20 amino acids (they are like the Lego bricks that make up proteins and determine how they fold etc) – the vast majority we can get from our diet, or we can synthesise them in our body from other molecules, but there are 9 termed “essential” amino acids – these we HAVE to ingest because we can’t synthesise them. They include lysine, methionine and I think tryptophan. The reason plant protein is not always preferred is because SOME plant protein is not “complete” – this means it doesn’t contain all 20 amino acids and particularly not the 9 essentials, however SOME plant protein IS complete – for example quinoa, but you just have to be more careful about where you source your protein if vegetarian or vegan, it is possible to get everything you need, it’s just easier to get it in meat – particularly tryptophan if I remember correctly. I believe if I remember correctly as well from my nutrition module at uni (which was eons ago) we absorb protein (and many many trace elements and vitamins) better alongside a bit of fat, because these things are fat soluble rather than water soluble and therefore the fat in meat also helps this process.

Anyway, I’ve waffled enough, hope that helps?

L x

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Interesting chat from everyone, useful and motivating!

Accountability check in from me…. yesterday was a good day – totally on plan and feel good for it! Broke the “pudding” habit of “needing” something after dinner – had a good stirfry of chorizo and veggies – cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, mixed beans (no added sugar or thickeners). Also did a very slow but fun run with some pals which lifted the spirits. Did not get meditation done….. feeling like i might be ready to brave the scales come Friday……

Have a good day
    Julz

• posted by florob85
    on

Keep going Julz, you’re doing fab!

I’ve just had a delicious lunch of some mozzarella, pesto, tiny bit of sundried tomato, almonds and some cold roast chicken, all came in at 395 cals (I don’t eat breakfast so that’s fine for me), 23.9g fat, 7.1g carbs and 31.5g protein and I’m full and satiated so I’m happy!

L x

• posted by RubyG
    on

Lauren’s lunch sounds amazing! We had Asian-style chicken broth and a slice of stinky cheese, I am thinking meatballs in a tomato sauce with courgettini for supper.
    I have got back to reading the new MM book, but haven’t bothered with MFP for now (just CBA I guess) and am not going to beat myself up over macros. As someone else said on the forum, as long as I am keeping carbs low and eating good quality fresh food with a mix of protein and above-ground veg, then that’s good enough.
    I’ll probably respond on the other thread too re. supplements – I have always (as long as I can remember) supplemented with Brewer’s Yeast, and as a woman of a certain age I include a Calcium/Magnesium (with VitD3) supplement. As we are eating less fruit (i.e. hardly any) I have added 1000mg VitC daily, and at the start of COVID added Vit D and a general Vit B complex too.
    Keep going everyone!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Adding to Lauren’s post re. protein, I also recall that most vitamins and minerals are fat-soluble, so the ancient wisdom of vinaigrette with a salad probably has scientific value.
    Turmeric, I believe, is better absorbed with black pepper, Calcium with VitD, etc.
    And VitB12 is not generally available on a vegan diet unless it is in the form of supplements or modified products.

• posted by florob85
    on

You’re right Ruby, many vitamins and minerals are fat soluble – one exception is vitamin c interestingly, and we can only absorb as much as we need, the rest just goes into our urine, so loading up on vit c has pretty much no effect!

Vit b 12 is vital for iron absorption as well, so if you don’t get enough you can get symptoms of anaemia – fatigue etc.

I love science!

L x

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Good reminder to start up taking vitamins again – thanks.
    Always struggled as my instinct is to take them first thing in the morning, but as im usually fasting til lunch it doesnt work for the fat soluables……which meant i didnt take them consistently. So as of this evening, I will take them with dinner….. obviously simple now I’ve said it out loud.
    Chicken breast with a bit of salt, black pepper and mayo for lunch today…. I’m unexpectedly in the office so had to nip to the shop and this seemed like a sensible option. Decision made before i entered the shop and didnt allow self to think about other additions or options! Phew!
    Day 2 I’m gonna get you!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Julia hope you’re enjoying your holiday.
    So glad you brought up ‘macros’. I’ve never really bothered with them before but after reading MM’s new book, and always looking for the magic bullet, I though I’d follow his nicknamed 50/50 diet. So in the first stage it’s up 1000 calories, <50 g carbs and >50g protein, around 60g. So I thought ok why not? Well, keeping carbs and calories is no great problem.but 60g protein is very difficult.
    However, it’s not possible to have a ‘one size fits all level of protein and I do remember Ben Bikman and his ‘prioritising protein’ mantra now but had forgotten it.
    I think your right if you eat a healthy diet with little processed food, and indeed only additives that you would find in ‘grandma)s kitchen’, then you can’t go far wrong!
    I’m definitely guilty of ‘over-thinking stuff’.
    I will just go back to my healthy diet which works!
    Somewhere supplements were mentioned so mine :
    Calcium with vit D
    B complex
    Turmeric with bioprene
    Co-enzyme Q10
    High strength fish oil
    I’ve been taking them for years but have no idea if they do anything for me just so frightened to stop now in case I crumble into dust!
    I have the Ben Bikman audio book “Why we get sick” so I think that will be my next ‘read’.
    Have a good week.

• posted by Quetzal
    on

Hello! I am back After a fall with Ups (had a 2 week hike of 30-40km daily, Ate healthy, got stronger, lost weight. So happy with inner peace) and followed by downs as my father got sick and died unexpectedly. So, contrasting last 2 months where I rarely move and eat the wrong food. I feel exhausted og doing nothing but work. Will walk more and improve eating. Lovely to read here, you Are a fantastic group.

Quetzal

• posted by wendleg
    on

Morning / Evening everyone . I will be back later today to catch up with you all (pilates coming up on Zoom in a bit )

I just wanted to wish a very Happy birthday to Sunny B ! 💐💐💐🤗🤗🤗

• posted by florob85
    on

Happy birthday Sunny!! Have a magical day xx

And quetzal welcome back and I’m so very sorry to hear of your father’s passing, deepest condolences

I’ve got a busy day today of marking, it’s our deadline today and I haven’t finished eek!! But boosted by just stepping on the scales to see 9lb now gone! Yay!

Ttfn friends x

Lauren xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

So sorry to read your message Quetzal but glad you are back and we are here to support you. You’ve had a tough time. Sending lots of love xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Blimey..you are rocking this Lauren….woo hoo !
    So pleased things are going well 😚😚☺☺😙😙 and good luck with the marking deadline ..you will feel so good when it’s done !

• posted by florob85
    on

Thank you Wendy, I’m absolutely RAVENOUS today, I could eat a dinosaur!

Made do with mozzarella, pesto, cold chicken, piquant peppadew peppers (OMG forgot how delicious they are!!) and a handful of almonds – super tasty!

But still starving, lots of water for me this afternoon!

11 assignments to go and counting, plus all associated admin – if I keep to schedule I’ll be done by 6 – wish me luck!!

L xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Crikey it’s a good job no dinosaurs are to hand for munching !!! 🙂

It’s great to see our list growing as ‘regulars’ return. So good to see you Julz . You have been doing so well keeping your exercise up and even though you stray a bit, you do know how to pull it back , so well done you . I know what you mean by jeans getting snug .That is my accountability thing as well as my belly !! Same thing really !!

Interesting about being aware of possible self sabotage and hope you can get back into meditation . My yoga teacher does a breathing exercise with me at the end of my session .It involves breathing through alternate nostrils and it is amazingly calming and probably the closest I get to a meditative state .

I totally agree with Julia. We can get hung up on on calculating macros and fear we are ‘doing things wrong’ I believe eliminating the carbage, eating protein and healthy fats is the way to go and does produce results .
    It’s wonderful to see the positivity even though some of you have struggled . You’re still here !

Thanks as always to JGwen for her wisdom and research , and Lauren for the science even though I find it hard to fully understand !!!

Added to the protein focus I try to eat earlier these days , pushing my first meal of the day to 12 or 1pm the next day . I didn’t manage an extended fast this week but that’s ok .

All the very best everyone
    Still waiting for Amz to return xx

• posted by florob85
    on

I managed to avoid all dinosaurs Wendy and replaced it with pork in a Dijon mustard sauce with cauli rice and purple broccoli

Was yumbles 😋

L x

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Back here again after a not so good, diet wise, 2021. Starting afresh today and hoping my husband will joining me on the journey. I want to lose 25k but focusing on the 10k that while take me to the lowestI’ve been in over 20yrs. My husband has T2D
    but does not control his diet at all and rarely takes his prescribed medication. He is not overweight.I have to worry about myself for now. I currently have a clean bill of health. All my stats in the normal range apart from Vit D which I supplement. Not bad for 65.

Happy new year everyone.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi guys,

I am having a good week so far, am back on the waggon with “dirty” fasts of the occasional coffee with double cream as well as drinking soda water and OMAD which is keto. I have the metallic taste in my mouth of being in ketosis but am still struggling with lung capacity so haven’t managed to go back to using a breathalyser to monitor level of ketosis. My body is getting rid of water retained which is making my clothes fit better.

I wanted to chime in with my supplements.

I take a calcium, magnesium, zinc supplement, to help prevent cramps.

I take Mycopryl 680 from BioCare periodically. There is a lot of research that a caprylic acid is very beneficial in controlling the amount of bad bacteria in our gut and creating an environment which supports the good bacteria. When I am feeling under the weather or have a digestive upset I will take it for a period. Anything from delhi belly, getting back on track after eating carb. At other times I simply mix coconut in with greek yogurt if the carb hungy gut bacteria are trying to promot me to feed them.

• posted by Catenelson
    on

Hi everyone, I started on BSD on Wednesday and I was wondering if any of you could clarify something for me please?
    With regards to the recommendation to eat half a plate of green non-starchy vegetables with most meals – do we count the calories for the vegetables?
    For example: last night we had the fish bake from the BSD recipe book (gorgeous by the way!) and I served it with steamed broccoli & savoy cabbage. I only counted the calories in the fish bake, but now I’m wondering if I should have counted the broccoli & cabbage too.
    Thanks

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Cate, I think in the original BSD book MM suggests counting ALL calories, but when he moved onto Fast800 which is very similar, he suggested don’t bother counting calories for green non-starchy veg – remember though with both BSD and Fast800 the key is keeping your carbs low, and the calories will sort themselves out. Realistically for what you’re saying, you’re probably looking at less than 100 cals, probably less than 50, so I would say don’t worry. I do track my vegetables but this is mainly as I try to stay below 30g carbs and it all adds up, calories wise it’s negligible – for example I’m having spinach with tea – 50g but only 8 cal, and only 0.5g carbs. You’ll find what works for you, some of us are more strict than others but mostly try to get the principles right for now and then the rest will come as you learn 🙂

Lauren xx

• posted by Catenelson
    on

Thanks Lauren that helps with my confusion.
    I’m not planning to follow the keto version so won’t be testing my ketones and was using the non-starchy vegetables options to increase fibre in our meals.
    I’ll keep an eye on my net carbs in the green veggies and not bother counting their calories for the time being while I enjoy trying all these gorgeous recipes 😀
    Thanks again Lauren

on

My experience is that green leafy veggies can be eaten in MASSIVE quantities with no damage.
    It is my favorite way to fill my stomach and feel satisfied. I never count calories or carbs with greens, only the fats I use to cook them.
    You can also steam them and avoid all fats but a bit of butter goes a long way!
    I like SPINACH sautéed with a drizzle of olive oil and chopped garlic (finish with fresh lemon), KALE chopped and sautéed in butter, CHARD slow cooked with onion and butter, COLLARDS slow cooked in chicken broth and topped with a bit of bacon, WATERCRESS sautéed with butter — any green leaf thing is wonderful — absolutely packed with nutrition and you can eat a lot of it with your protein for a satisfying meal!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Encouraged by my “personal mentor” (knows who she is…) just dipping back in. JGwen, I am sorry that you have been so poorly, but glad you seem to be improving, bit by bit. Are you getting more lambs in (I recall you have hardy breeds which lamb earlier) or will that be too much for this spring? You may have come across this, which though I don’t understand the complicated chemistry side, I understood enough to find interesting: https://www.gutxy.com/blog/understanding-the-role-of-gut-microbes-on-eating-behaviour/. Who would have imagined some microscopic gut bacteria would be so clever and have such a hold on its host. Also, on the ketones discussion, as I understand it, ketones are a form of acid produced by the liver when it has no glucose to process, so uses fatty acids to convert into ketones which are then sent round in the bloodstream to muscles etc for energy. My (basic) question is: how does fat from fat cells in eg my legs, get to my liver? Do fat cells get some message that they should release fat, which is then picked up in blood, circulated back to liver then converted into ketones? And if so what sends the message? Initial ketones or something else? Hopefully between you and Lauren a simple answer as would be interested!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi All, Well….on track with no naughty carbs at all since…..? Can’t remember which day..I think it was Wednesday….lowish cals but not 800. It’s progress, and I am weighing less again….however, much of that is water weight I expect, and I actually need to stick with it long enought to shift some fat…..what is it about day 3 that makes me crave carbs?
    Tulip xxx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi sixturkeys.

The ewes and rams live together and don’t really need my assistance in creating lambs 🙂 Because they are what is known as a primitive breed, they are the second oldest of the breeds of sheep and what iron age man would have farmed they have very small lambs and can happily give birth without assistance. Hopefully by the time they are ready to lamb I will be back to walking around the fields to check on them.

Many of the cells in your body are able to take in fat from the blood stream and use it for fuel, they do not need the liver to turn it into ketones for them. – One example of an exception is the brain, those cells do need ketones for fuel. The main reason we measure ketones is that its really difficult to do a home test for insulin levels, the presence of ketones indicates low insulin levels and is easy to test.

I think this interview by Dr Bikman may help you with some of questions about burning fat, insulin and ketones.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPL2RYilUms

As it mentions in the video, Dr Bikman does share different research papers not only his own research, in an online session about a year ago he was asked about gut bacteria and insulin resistance. He said that its a field of research which is more recently being studied and at present there are two many variables. I did read elsewhere that most of the research was about the mixture of bacteria in feces which is obviously not necessarily reflective in the range of bacteria in the small and large intestine. I do have a story to add to the mix about gut bacteria and I will tell you that tomorrow.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, sorry I have been absent, had a lot on my mind. Nothing like illness or grief which puts my problems into perspective, just something that has taken up a lot of my admin time.

Just to dip into the general conversation – I dont count macros, I do count calories in everything and I do take supplements. I take a multivit daily and a probiotic for gut health. I used to take others like fish oils (they put my BG up) and garlic but I eat enough anyway.

Weight loss still on track, still dry for January, although on Friday at around 6pm I asked hubby if it was too early for a drink to which he said ‘no, you have had lots of stress and its Friday night’. My reply was ‘I meant is it February yet’. Sorry, I have a weird sense of humour. Blood glucose is showIing big drops so I have, again, reduced insulin doseage.

Nothing much else to say really. Hope you all are having a good and careful weekend.

• posted by florob85
    on

Big hugs sunshine girl x

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi JGwen. I watched the podcast – interesting though a lot of it went over my head! Coincidentally, I then caught the tail end just now of The Food Programme on BBC R4: Keto: Diet fad or food fix? Which had David Unwin amongst others (plus somebody who was talking about a 12 week diet of (just) porridge and lentil soup to lose weight…. ). I think it must be available on replay if you were interested. I always thought you took on lambs that were bred elsewhere to fatten up; didn’t know you had your own breeding herd. But good that you are on the mend. I was reading Theodora’s old posts from when she first started as saw her new post on another thread. Inspiring but depressing at the same time as that kind of discard in that amount of time just seems impossible to me. Definitely went backwards over 2021, though not back to square one at least. Good to see you posting.

Please log in or register to post a reply.