2022 Mastering May One Week at a Time ! Week beginning 10th May 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Anyway that’s enough about me . Thanks everyone for contributing to the thread and persevering despite difficult challenges and health issues .
    Thinking of Lauren who is still struggling. Sending much love .
    We’ve got some good weather here at the moment which certainly lifts the spirits and distracts me because I can happily do some Spring cleaning with the windows open .
    I’ve been testing out the playlist I compile for aqua gym each year .I ‘m not that ‘cool’ as far as music is concerned but Spotify is a big help as are my nephews and nieces !! Classes begin tomorrow and I will add that to my yoga and pilates .
    I hope that’s enough Julia/Californiagirl to build up a bit of muscle ( can’t see much to be honest 😉 ) but I will persevere .I have never been tempted by the gym and I don’t fancy weight training but I do enjoy my chosen activities.

SG,we haven’t had our boosters as we had a run in with Covid as you know and hopefully that will give us a bit of immunity for a while .Well done on keeping your BG and insulin in control but we expect no less from you .You are so focused xx
    Tulip and Merry Melba … Well done on keeping the wine in check ! I am sure you will also stay focused until you get to your event/holiday .
    Well done on resisting the vending machine, Natalie ! How very rude of them to install that thing !!!!
    Hi V ! I hope May works out for you . I have done with being complacent . I have learned it just sets me off on a very slippery slope !!

So let’s keep going and do our best to make May positive, mindful, motivational, meaningful and magical ( thanks V !!)

Wendy , sunshine-girl and SunnyB (still in Turkey ) xxxxx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Wendy, I think you have to wait around 4 or 5 weeks before you can get a booster after having covid. Get one before you go to the UK, it is quite crowded there 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks SG , will check that before we go xx

on

Hi everyone, I hope you are all enjoying the sunshine. It is a bit too hot here at 29 today and I am sticking to the house. I have some outside work to do but it is too hot so will tackle it this evening.

The pool is open, cleaned and ready for me to swim when the water temperature goes up. It is already at 19 and I will go in at around 22, so in the next couple of days.

Weight loss this week half a pound, total from after Easter break 2.5lbs and goal weight is another 4.5lbs in 4 weeks. I know it can be done so I am not giving up.

Enjoy the rest of the week.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi
    Sorry I’m late to the ‘party’ this week. We’ve just had a few lovely days away in Yorkshire with lots of nice tasty food that was more about satisfying my ‘mouth’ than my ‘body’! I even had a spoon of mashed potato for the first time in over 5 years …. way overrated! Anyway, back on the scales tomorrow and back to my preferred healthy way of life.
    Wendy I guess it depends on where you are going in the UK but for the most part it’s relatively easy to avoid crowded places. I really don’t think that we are anywhere near to being back to 2019’s level of people ‘out and about’.
    S-g 29 degrees that’s only in my dreams! I’ve forgotten what proper warm sunshine is! We are going to Tenerife in 4 weeks and I’m guessing that it will be far too hot for me now as I’m no longer accustomed to the heat. I have no doubt you will make the 4.5lbs you have a Will of iron!
    Looks like there’s just three of us in the ‘boat’ so far this week but we’ll keep afloat no matter what!
    Have a good week and I’ll try and post here a bit more than my usual once a week.

• posted by RubyG
    on

I’m still hanging onto the boat 🙂
    I have been away for work last week, gained 2lb which I lost again this week, but still hovering just over the 12st mark and cannot for the life of me find the motivation to have any sort of focus for more than a couple of days at a time, but I’m still here, still low-carbing.
    Talking about crowded places, I went on a plane last week – apart from the mask requirements at the airports and on the whole flight, it was still the same shambolic shoes-off, belt-off, laptop out, display your toiletries, and crowds of people.
    With the weather improving, there are a lot more options to enjoy open spaces and events in the UK, without sharing crowded indoor space with others, hope you enjoy your trip.
    Re. vending machines, I have managed to resist the ones at work so far, but yesterday was a horrible day in the office, and while re-packing my stuff to take home, I discovered an emergency small bar of 85% chocolate in my bag (the individual bars which are about 2 squares in size) – it didn’t last the drive home 🙂
    Have a good rest of your week everyone!

• posted by florob85
    on

Hey all, I’m here in the background. I’m not anywhere near mastering May, or anything else for that matter, massive ME flare up due to Covid and ongoing stress has me mostly confined to bed and as foggy as I’ve ever been. Struggling to think of anything to eat let alone healthy, but I’m trying to just do damage limitation and hopefully have the mental energy to get back on track next week. This involves me meal planning and with how strict I’m supposed to be balancing the macros for my PCOS it’s just too much, there is no way I can think of nice things to eat that I’ll enjoy (which has to happen or my motivation disappears) within 800 cal, <20g carbs, >25g fibre (somehow?!) and protein of 0.6g/kg weight (around 70g) – and yes I know what’s being said about protein, protein is god etc. should eat more, but the science around excessive protein consumption and insulin resistance is that it worsens the problem as protein is more easy to break down into carbs for energy than fat in the absence of carbs.

Anyway, I’ll try and keep going! All feeling very difficult and futile at the moment but I’ll keep trying

L x

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Wendy I think it was a 6 week wait before we could have our booster after Covid. S-G how lovely to have a pool. Ruby it doesn’t seem possible to do social distancing at an airport.
    Had a lovely 3 mile walk along an almost deserted beach yesterday between the showers.
    We had brunch out on Sunday along with some takeaway cakes so playing catch up now, I will be doing a 24 hr fast today to try and get back on track.
    Have a good day.

on

Hi peeps, RubyG, when I talk about crowds from the benefit of French country life it is not something we come across much. Big cities yes but where we live if we pass 4 cars on the way to the supermarket we laughingly call it rush hour. When we were in UK everywhere seemed crowded especially Touchwood Shopping Centre where I had an unfortunate incident with a man and his wife (I presume) when he nearly knocked me off my feet and she turned round and told me I should have moved and she was going to do for me. Thats a different matter but put me off the UK even more.

Look after yourself Lauren, hope that man of yours is giving you some pampering.

Elle-Mae, you wish you had a pool but I would love to live by the sea and be able to go for long walks.

Nice and cool today with a top temperature of 24 but overcast with a cool breeze. After my afternoon coffee I am going to sit outside and do my feet and then shave my legs ready for getting them out.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Shopping Centres – my idea of living hell!

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g your French ‘countryside’ life sounds like my daughters idyllic Shropshire ‘off the beaten track’ life! So I can see why the UK seems crowded to you but then no excuse for your shopping centre experience. I’m also one that avoids these places where humanly possible!
    Elle-Mae your walk sounds lovely. Can’t be easy to find deserted beaches these days.
    Well I got on the scales this morning and a nice surprise just 0.4lb increase. I was obviously eating far healthier food than I thought I was. Maybe we get so used to a relatively healthy diet that when we eat something a bit off the chart it becomes the main focus of what we have eaten that day. The mind can play such terrible tricks on us.
    Talking about the ‘mind’ does anybody know anything about the noom way of eating? Just interested.
    End of the week tomorrow and the 13th and Friday ….. stay safe!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi all,

Thank you Wendy and SG for the new weekly thread, and for keeping us all going! Hope SunnyB is enjoying her hols!
    Lauren- bug hug, urg, I know how an awful ME flare up feels 😑…..
    Well, this week has seen mostly good still but some special treats as was eldest’s birthday on Weds (17!!) so very delicious chocolate cake and cream, and my youngest made fruit scones in school so….well 😉….hubby rightly said that my wine abstinence may need to be extended….very true, but I feel it was worth it in this case…..2 weeks till our hol so need to make a super effort now the cake has been eaten 😁
    I’m still tired and not over the virus in Feb that flared up my ME, but not as bad as Lauren’s in this case….it’s just frustrating not being able to exercise- more than a short walk, throat still sore so no clarinet, and the fatigue that at one point I’d mostly said goodbye to, that just stops me in my tracks…..I know that the extra work and the veg planting season aren’t helping….but, well, I am enjoying the work, although it’s challenging (and we need the money….that’s another big source of stress atm 😒), and I do love fresh garden veg……also some time pressure as not long till our hol so I want things to be as simple as poss for our lovely neighbours who do plant (and animal) care whilst we are away…so little pots waiting to be planted would not be helpful…plus 2 busy weekends coming up (nice things, but! I actually don’t have enough energy!…)
    Wendy- how exciting about your uk trip!!
    SG……your pool/ weather/ etc stories remind me of my MIL….she lived in a little hamlet north east of Bordeaux for many years!
    Hi Verano, Elle Mae, Ruby….
    so yeah, I’m still definitely on the boat with firm goal in mind!!
    Love to all,
    Tulip xxx

• posted by florob85
    on

Ladies and gents my ideas tank is empty, still suffering horrendous brain fog and can barely think straight…..

So I need…..

Ideas for stir fry that doesn’t involve soy (supposed to be avoiding soy due to oestrogenic activity)

Ideas for lunches that don’t involve eggs, peppery leaves or fish

Ideas for ways to flavour chicken and green veg that don’t involve curry flavourings (don’t like it) and aren’t bland!!

Hit me with it!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Lauren I’m thinking, flavours for either the stir fry, chicken and vegetables, either on their own or try mixing , garlic, lemon, lemongrass, oregano, basil, fennel seeds, caraway seeds, harissa, Ras el hanout, pesto, coriander fresh and ground, paprika, chilli oil, balsamic vinegar, lime. Still thinking about the lunches…..

on

Hi everyone, happy weekend to you all. Lauren, besides the suggestions already given. To get an umami taste to your stir fry you could add some marmite or similar or lea and perrins also a simple oxo cube. Last night I did chicken stuffed with mozzarella and wrapped in parma ham, partially cooked then put in a casserole dish with a tomato based sauce (canned toms, onion, red peppers, oregano and basil with a stock cube). Place in oven for 20/30 mins so chicken is cooked through. One of my favourite lunches is the Spanish chorizo and chickpea recipe in the original BSD book (not the recipe book), it is a delicious soup. I make up a big batch and split it into freezer tubs. I always get more meals from the recipe than it says because I use them for lunches whereas the full recipe is for a main meal. So if I make the quantities for 2 then that serves me 3 meals. More meals and less calories.

Still sticking firm to the plan and now down to 73kgs so now lost just over 3lbs or1.4kgs. BG still dropping and in the 70”s for the last few days so reducing insulin again tonight – down to 12 units which is where I was before our Easter trip.

Pool still not warm enough to swim but hoping for middle of the coming week as we are expecting temperatures of 33/34 degrees so that should warm things up.

Enjoy the weekend and the Eurovision Song Contest if you are watching. Might be a waste of time considering… We always record it and whizz through the rubbish. Enjoy..

on

Not sure where you all are, still reeling from the Eurovision result??

Today I have reached the exact weight I finally reached when I first started this plan. One and a half stone down. Only this time I am going to keep going. I have a few days away at the beginning of June but trying to lose more to compensate for that, plus I hope to be swimming every day we are away as each of our 3 hotels have pools – and a lot warmer than mine at home. The difference this time is that my BG is right down, was 74 this morning on 12 units of insulin. I am sure you must all be bored to death with my diabetes comments but that is the reason I am on this plan. Aiming to be off insulin after our trip to the UK July/August for daughters wedding and a trip around Scotland and England catching up with family and friends. After that we have nothing until Christmas so that is my goal. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by florob85
    on

You’re an inspiration sunshine-girl, what an achievement you’ve made in reducing your insulin over the last year or so, it sounds like you’ve hit on the formula that works for you and your lifestyle and you’re seeing the results you deserve after all your hard work.

Xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Good to see our regulars are still with us .
    So sorry to hear of your ongoing struggles , Lauren, Clare too . You are both amazing , constantly battling chronic health issues. I doubt I would be as brave .

To add to the savoury flavourings discussion ,I regularly roast chicken wings in the oven and the seasoning I use ( you can add olive oil or butter to make it stick) is Everything but the Bagel seasoning. I think it is one of Melissa Sevigny’s recipes :
    Mix together
    2tbsps poppy seeds and sesame seeds
    I tbsp dried onion flakes
    2 tsps coarse himalayan salt
    I tsp dried minced garlic

As mentioned it is good on chicken wings and also roast cauliflower steaks .
    I keep mine in the fridge in an airtight jar and it lasts ages .

As SG has said, we having a heatwave here which has its advantages , we can get the washing dried and especially my vintage cotton bed throws which weigh a ton . I am not keen on the shield bugs ,flies and mosquitos which are also a feature of country living .No, no crowds around here and I would have no need for a shopping centre .As you know I buy a lot more pre loved stuff these days 😉

As the weather has been good I have been persevering with my Spring cleaning.It somehow feels better with the windows open .
    I began the week with one of my extended fasts which lasted from Sunday evening until Tuesday evening after I got back from aqua gym. I was feeling a bit weary as I had had a yoga class as well that day and felt perfectly fine until about 8pm when my body was saying that’s enough . It’s my regular routine though as I cannot exercise with anything in my stomach.

This week will be a bit different as I have to get ready for our trip to Île d’Oléron . We leave on Thursday morning and get back Monday evening . I am looking forward to discovering a new place and having lots of bracing walks ( hopefully hubby’s knees will be ok with frequent stops )
    There are a few celebrations in the next couple of weeks ( birthdays and our 13th wedding anniversary) so there will be a meal out during our trip .

A friend is coming over the day we get back .She lost her husband to Covid at the beginning of the pandemic. He went into hospital for a heart condition and ended up catching covid .My friend had very little opportunity to be with him before he died, it was horrendous. So I consider myself very fortunate .

So yes, this is a mini trip before we go to the UK in July for a long awaited family celebration.That will be really special. I have my wedding outfit but I certainly can’t risk any major excesses.

So I am staying on track and will hopefully find some tasty morsels , oysters and mussels while we are away but no carbage !

This week has flown by again and tomorrow will be time for a new thread .I will need someone ( SG ?? Lauren ?? ) to take over the following week though as I will be back late on Monday 23rd May .

Yes, a very satisfying result for Eurovision last night .I love all that cheesy , wacky stuff !

Look after yourselves everyone xxx

• posted by florob85
    on

I can do the thread Mon 23rd Wendy, I’ll put a note in my calendar to do it

Just replying to your text now x

L x

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Wendy and SG….you are both brilliant inspiration re staying with this WOE for the long haul.
    I was a little off plan this week (celebrations and tiredness) but am ready to crack down again tomorrow.
    Lauren- hope things get easier for you soon,

Love to all,
    Tulip xxx

• posted by Natalie
    on

S-G I just noticed you said you swim when the water is 22c, I wait until around 28! And 30 is even better. We have solar panels, and a heat pump the side of a refrigerator.
    I won’t say we were shocked at the Eurovision winner, pretty expected really. But some of the others that came close gave us a scare. Because “live” would be 5am here, we wait for the evening telecast, and this was the first time in years I haven’t accidentally seen the result beforehand.
    I’m sorry people are having a hard time with their health. Look after yourselves.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

*pokes nose above parapit*

I do wish we could put little pictures in here to refect my sheepish look and apprehensive post!!!

My name is Windyjulz and i have been a bit lost……i’ve know i was lost, know the way back but not been able to take more than 2 stepos in the right direction. So i have come in here in search of a gentle kick in the right direction and some buddies to hold my hand while i do it!
    Gosh I’m feeling all emotional typing this……not like me! Yikes. I think i just faced my fears!!

Ive read some of the recent posts, thank you all for keeping on, keeping the forums active….and thinking of you Lauren and Tulip, and others who have been having tough times! Wendy, Sunshinegirl, verano and crew you are indeed insprational going the distance and remaining enthusiastic.

I’ve nothing really to complain about, things are well, weather is finally picking up.
    I’ve got a new job, which i can start as soon as i find a repacement in my current job (I’m on 3 months notice and if i want out early i need to find a successor – which is annoyingly difficult!)
    I’m back to being able to run – covid did not help on that front at all!!!! taken weeks to be able to enjoy it again!
    I just need to find the key and the focus to make better food chicies. As always, its been a period of reflection but now i must stop procrastinating and walk the walk. Honestly, life has been too socialble….. it surely was easier to eat mindfully during lockdown!
    I really need to get back in the groove and so here i am……

Julz

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Julz!

We love you and are here for you xx welcome back

L x

• posted by wendleg
    on

WOOO HOOOO Julz is back !!! So good to see you back with us !! You know what to do Julz but if you sneak off we can’t help you 😉 I get it, we get it but there comes a time when you just have to dig in because it’s so easy to be complacent and find all sorts of excuses ! You’re not alone Julz !!

Ooh I love it when people come back .Amz ??? Arcticfox ???

Anyway , time to set up the new thread !

on

Hi Julz great to see you back and if you really want a kick up the rear end you have come to the right place. Not really, but you will get gentle encouragement.

Natalie, so interested in your solar panel. I would love one (some) but as soon as govt put an incentive out there the scammers come out of the woodwork. Advice please.

See you all on the new thread.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Oh my goodness S-G I remember the process getting the solar panels – such pressure-selling! One company tried to get me to pay a deposit to secure their services before they’d even given me a quote! Then kept calling and texting and emailing. I would block their number and they would call me from a different number. I had to get quite aggressive (unlike me) to get them to stop. And all the companies say different things; you need this many panels, no you can’t fit that many of your roof, too much shade, no it’s fine. Arg! But we found a reputable company eventually. We power the whole house (and pool) but only during the day, we don’t have a battery (waiting for prices to go down) so we still have to buy from the grid at night.
    Best of luck!

on

Natalie, are you in France, if so did you use a french govt scheme, who did you go to. Now we are staying for at least 5 more years I would like to look into this.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Hi S-G no I’m in Australia.

Please log in or register to post a reply.