2 plus serves fruit healthy for diabetics

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Latest comprehensive study on fruit consumption and diabetes.

APPLES AND ORANGES FRUITFUL IN REDUCING RISK OF TYPE 2 DIABETES

Eating more fruit is linked to a lower likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes and diabetes-related complications reports a new study. The authors studied 500,000 Chinese people over seven years and found those who said they ate more fresh fruit were less likely to develop type 2 diabetes than others. Those who already had diabetes but ate a lot of fruit were less likely to die within a five-year period. “This large prospective study of Chinese adults with and without diabetes showed that higher fresh fruit consumption was significantly associated with a lower risk of developing diabetes, and also with a lower risk of dying or developing vascular complications among those who have already developed diabetes. These associations appeared to be similar in both men and women, in urban and rural residents, and in those with previously diagnosed and screen-detected diabetes. Moreover, higher fresh fruit consumption was not associated with elevated level of blood glucose,” conclude the researchers

Study: Fresh fruit consumption in relation to incident diabetes and diabetic vascular complications: A 7-y prospective study of 0.5 million Chinese adults

• posted by Natalie
    on

That is very interesting. I think the idea behind BSD with its low fruit intake is it is only temporary and you add in more of healthy stuff like fruit after the eight weeks.

• posted by Eileen27
    on

I would find it helpful if Dr M M would comment on this. Does he or any of those around him see these posts?? Fruit is something I
    Miss the most. It would be good to have his view on the research. X

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Fruit is sugar. Sugar is not healthy for diabetics in considerable quantities. This has been researched extensively in the Western world. In Australia health guidelines have reduced the recommendations on how much fruit to eat Due to research. The recommendations are 2 pieces of fruit a day for healthy non diabetic people in this country. BSD recommendations on the lower carb fruits are sound given what is known about how we diabetics respond to carbs. The BSD diet is designed for those with elevated blood glucose levels.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I googled the research and there are some caveats that are important to note:
    First, fruit consumption is ASSOCIATED with better outcomes BUT as the discussion section notes, it is “not possible to determine if the better outcomes are CAUSED by the intake of fruit” — which means, that people who eat fruit MAY ALSO have other better dietary intakes that may actually be the cause of the better outcome, not the fruit (like they exercise or eat small portions or substitute fruit for cookies).
    Secondly, the fruit consumed was low glycemic, specifically apples, pears and oranges — NOT grapes, mangos, pineapple and other high-sugar fruits.
    Thirdly, the group that did more poorly ate less than ONE serving per week — so there is no clarity on how much is good.
    Fourth, it is self-reported intake — notoriously inaccurate.
    Fifth, the authors note that there are two other studies in Finland and the U.K. That shows higher fruit intake SIGNIFICANTLY associated with diabetes.
    What do we make of it? Eat low glycemic fruit in moderation just as stated in the BSD! And, enjoy it!!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Very interesting research. Reading it actually made me feel quite down. I absolutely loved my blue berries, strawberries, apples, pears, raspberries, cherries and blackberries picked from the hedge rows. In fact yoghurt wasn’t complete without fruit.

I have always eaten fruit every day all my life – so why did I end up with severe T2D, retinopathy, macular oedema and neuropathy but the Chinese people doing the same thing didn’t get any of those things.

I followed the BSD from May to September but it wasn’t until September when I was much stricter and cut out fruit to lower carbs that the T2D went into remission and the retinopathy and macular oedema reversed and the feeling started to come back in my foot. My Consultant has said that I cannot bring fruit back into my diet because my pancreas can’t cope with it.

I am more optimistic and do think that one day fruit will be a part of my diet again. Still – I shouldn’t feel down as I will be keeping my eye sight and my feet and today is a lovely sunny day and we are visiting Ickworth – one National Trust property in East Anglia we haven’t visited before. And I am just about to make my morning Nespresso with cream.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Krysia, we can all ask those questions. Why when I was always on a diet and always of a good weight, did I become diabetic. Why am I diabetic when I was a gym member who used to drop in for 40 mins daily as it was next door to work. Why have I eaten low calorie and low sugar and low fat all my life and loved my fruit and veg and would spray the pan with oil then wipe most of it off and spit a chip out in disgust. We will never know. Looking back on my diet I ate a lot of things MM tells us (and other doctors now saying) that are bad for us, like low fat, low calorie chemical induced foods. We are even told now that fizzy water makes you fat – who knew. Most of us did everything we could to be healthy but the truth was not out there, the science was bad and so was the advice. I for one know that even though at 4’11” and usually under 9 stone I had a father who died at the age of 48 with serious heart problems, a mother who had high cholesterol, first heart attack at 50 and diabetes from her 60’s – hence a lot of risk factors. There is no point beating ourselves up, it is what it is.

As for the new research on fruit, again look at all the different what ifs, a healthy diet should include some fruit, some veg, some protein but it doesn’t say eat lots of very sweet fruits like mangos, bananas, pineapple etc. My husband is a sweetie and is getting to an age when he is worried about his health (never had a worry before and never been ill) he reads bananas are good for you so he has one every day, suddenly his potassium levels shoot up. More is not always better.Just be sensible with what we no know and enjoy what we have now.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl – you are right – it is what it is and there is no point beating ourselves up.
    Have just got back from a lovely day walking around Ickworth and my low mood has lifted.
    It is absolutely true – we just need to be sensible with what we know and enjoy what we have now.

So I will enjoy my eysight and my feet – secure in the knowledge that they are safe now because the advice and the science is good – thanks to Professor Taylor and Michael Mosley.

• posted by Maryschoen
    on

I am not diabetic, but became pre-diabetic from taking steroids. However I most certainly am addicted to fruit. I only have 16 pounds to lose and am only on week 3. Having lost 9lb already I decided to have some fruit. One banana later (I know that was definitely the wrong choice with its 31 grams of carbs), I have been craving all the biscuits, cake and chocolates in the office. I’m jittery and desperate to eat rubbish. I do wonder whether I would be better never to eat fruit again, or just make really sensible choices with berries. Writing this in the hope the craving will soon go.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Just to come back to this, a healthy diet can help (HELP) prevent diabetes, a healthy diet includes a full range of foods including fruits. Fruits contain sugar, sugar doesn’t cause diabetes, a hundred and one things cause it. If you are not diabetic eat fruit if you are diabetic watch the sweet stuff that puts your BG up and anything else that has that effect , learn what is not good for you, you know your own body.

Please log in or register to post a reply.