The stomach purifying clear soup, or at least that is what I feel every time I have this. Extraordinarily refreshing, traditional Japanese recipe. Sake is a rice wine we use a lot in Japanese cooking, it makes the food taste richer and wholesome.
• 180g fresh clams
• 1 tablespoon sake
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• a splash of soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped spring onions
• Lemon peel from 1/8 unwaxed lemon
• 300ml water
• (To clean the claims)
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 2 cups cold water
1. Wash the clam with running water, then add to a bowl of 2 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt to remove sand for 3 hours.
2. Add drained claims, sake and water in a sauce pan, cook on a medium heat until the shells open. Do not stir.
3. Turn off the heat and gently skim off any scum with a spoon
4. Add soy sauce and salt to taste
5. Serve immediately with finely chopped spring onions and lemon rind.