Very easy to make and tasted delicious.
A tasty filling meal combining chunky tomato sauce and savoury bacon wrapped chicken
• 2 medium onions - chopped into large chunks
• 1 large carrot - chopped into small dice
• 3 garlic cloves - chopped into small pieces
• 1 red pepper - chopped into small pieces
• 200g mushrooms - quartered
• 1 pint of passata
• 1/2 tsp paprika
• 25ml balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp olive oil3 chicken breasts - cut into halves lengthwise
• 6 rashers of streaky bacon30g hard cheese (cheddar or provolone)
Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and add the onion and carrot. Cook until the onion and carrot are softened and are starting to brown.
Add the pepper and garlic and cook for a further five minutes before adding the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are slightly reduced then add the passata, balsamic vinegar and salt.
Reduce the heat and cover, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes until reduced and thickened.
In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/ 200°C.
Cut the chicken breasts in two lengthways and wrap each piece in 1 or 2 rashers of streaky bacon
When the sauce is cooked, spoon into an ovenproof dish or dishes, reserving a little. Arrange the bacon wrapped chicken on top of the sauce and spoon over the remaining sauce. Top with the grated cheese.
Cook in the oven for 20 mins and serve.