Workout on 800 calories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by CarblessWorkout
    on

Hello there, fellow Fast 800 crowd!

So, my question is actually pretty simple – is it okay to use diet whey protein and add 200 calories to your 800 on days that you work out?

I stay quite active and normally stay within limits, this is my second week. So far lost 2kg, but throughtout the day I sometimes have an apple or a spoon-two spoons of peanut butter. These are my only real sins so far.

On days that i was working out, i have consumed shakes. Should I just not do it and stick to 800 calories?

Thanks for any advice!

• posted by alliecat
    on

The short answer is yes, Carbless Workout. The recommendation here is that you don’t au9ment by addin9
    in extra calories for a workout, but cut back on your activity until your body switches over to burnin9 fat as
    your primary source of fuel. When that happens, you won’t know what to do with all the ener9y available
    to you 🙂

Allie

• posted by M2019
    on

Hi Carbless,

I am able to do my two brisk dog walks a day (10k steps in total) on the 800 calories but anything more strenuous has resulted in feeling a bit too wobbly (and not because of the extra lard I am carrying).

I do stick another 200 calories on for these times, but ensure I am still under 50g of carbs. I don’t go over 1000 calories per day and my net calories on MFP are always under 800 per day (not sure how much I trust that though, hence limiting it the way I have). I havent dropped out of ketosis yet.

I also try and stick to real food where poss – but essentially you only answer to yourself so you have to do what works best for you :).

on

Thanks so much for your advice guys!

M2019 – do you think that peanut butter in combination with something like an apple or broccoli would be a good choice for those extra 200 calories on my gym days?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Rather than eating extra calories, its probably better to research and work on becoming keto adapted, so that your body uses the calories in your own fat stores during exercise.
    Becoming keto adapted is about getting your body back to functioning how it is intended to work. Our bodies are designed to be powered by either carbs, or fat. When you are burning fat it is known as being in ketosis. If hunter gatherers didn’t have three meals a day they didn’t fade away and become unable to hunt. Their bodies tapped into their fat stores to enable them to be able to successfully hunt the next day, or the day after that.
    Once you are down to a healthy weight you will still have average fat stores in your body equivalent to 40000 kcals. – And if you are looking at following the BSD its likely to you wouldn’t classify yourself as having a healthy fat level.
    I would suggest looking at the work of Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney on the science of low carb performance in sports.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Here, here J9wen! You always break the science down for us, and you know what you’re talkin9 about!
    Addin9 in extra calories is an outmoded way of viewin9 how fuel is used, and is part of the learnin9
    process. I believe that MMosley addresses this in his publication, The Fast800. Taubes does a 9ood job
    of lookin9 at the science, too. But of course you already know this, and your wei9ht loss accomplishments
    attest to it. 9o 9irl!!! You always have my vote, which you undoubtedly already know 🙂 Thanks so much
    for all the contributions you make here…I learn somethin9 new every day! Best of luck with the new
    study you are participatin9 in, and I sincerely hope that you will share this journey with us here.

Allie

• posted by M2019
    on

Hi Carbless,

You know your own body and preferences as well as the speed at which you want to lose weight.
    Are you using the BSD purely as a weightloss tool or because you have blood sugar issues ?
    I think the answer to that would help with potential choices for your 800 calories and any cheeky choices beyond that.

M.

• posted by pupkindad
    on

To be fair I would not go for extra calories. I have been managing a very brisk 6km walk, with about 45 in the cardio range, on this diet. If you like peanut butter I cannot recommend Manilife peanut butter highly enough. It is made from pure nuts, quite runny, and the deep roast is so so good. My energy breakfast is a sliced apple, dollop of full fat greek yoghurt and a teaspoon of peanut butter over the top. The most helpful tip is to savour each mouthful and eat slowly.

• posted by alliecat
    on

This sounds very appealin9, pupkindad! Some of us reach a sta9e when 3 meals a day is no lon9er required.
    The hun9er just seems to 9o when we are “fat adapted”! I only eat apples in moderation, but I find that
    it’s easy to save the other half when a piece of plastic wrap is ti9htly coverin9 it. There is quite a
    difference in the carb content of peanut butter, isn’t there? It sounds like you have found a very BSD friendly
    one that doesn’t have all the added su9ars in it that is common practice for commercial brands. Eatin9
    slowly and savourin9 each bite is the best of advice 🙂 Thank you!

on

Hey ya’ll

Thanks so much for all the advice you’ve given me!

In my case, BSD is more so for blood sugar than fat loss – I’m quite healthy and active, but that’s why endulge a lot on sweet and sugary stuff plus alcohol. My parents are both in their pre-diebetic stage and family has history, so I joined mostly to support them plus to prevent my own diabetes and to lose some extra body fat.

• posted by M2019
    on

Hello Carbless,
    Good work on trying to get in front of this.
    Sounds like you might benefit from keeping your consumption on the lower end when it comes to carbs if only to retrain your tastebuds ! If you suspect you may be fat on the inside, trim on the outside, then weightloss is still an objective to aim for to reduce your risk of developing diabetes.
    Have you monitored your BG at all ?

on

Hi

No, I have not been monitoring it properly, but just ordered glucometer so will jump on it!

• posted by M2019
    on

Nice one – I think its going to tell you an awful lot !

• posted by pupkindad
    on

Cheers alliecat – I am only two and a half weeks into this and trying to fine tune things. Thanks for the advice on apples! I have discovered my peanut butter is great on carrot too. Liking the support from this group. All the best.

on

Guys, for those od you who love peanut butter, Meridian and MyProtein make great natural options, and even organic ones – no added salt and sugar! Delicious. And much lighter!

Please log in or register to post a reply.