Why isn’t HIIT working for me?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kerry9
    on

Hello All,

I have today just read Dr Nosely’s 800/8weeks book. Interesting the overlap between diet recommendations in it and those of the Piotti Diet. Interesting and disappointing too, that The medical Establishment derides both books and their recommendations. So far, 3 weeks of HIIT has not lost the belly fat so hopefully this 800/8 weeks will help. We’ve bought a digital scale which shows me to have a 28% body fat reading, which with my cholestrol reading of 6.1 and a BMI of 27.4, means I have work to do. So much for the health benefits of stopping smoking 7 months ago 🙁 At age 61 do I have to work twice as hard as the average population to shift the belly fat and man boobs, or am I missing a vital component? I’d be grateful for comments as my wife and I set out on this journey. We started it yesterday actually and are both feeling faint and ravenous. I really do miss a cuppa with white and one flat spoon of raw unrefined cane sugar. Still trying to find a substiture without sugar, chai tea bags seem to have too much aniseed and cinnamon in them…thanks for any supportive suggestions. Now where did I put that Cadbury’s Twirl….

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Kerry9, you can still have that cuppa with full fat milk, you might find real milk has a sweetness of its own, just keep off the sugar. It is interesting that according to most health gurus (the honest ones) exercise is not the key to losing weight, what you eat is. Exercise is good for the heart, lungs etc and can help maintain a healthy weight but the amount of exercise you would have to do to burn off one pound of fat is 3500. That is a lot when walking, swimming, running or similar for 30 mins only burns off between 120 and 320 calories respectively and then most people put that straight back on by treating themselves for doing the exercise. You will find those scales come in handy as you are quite likely to lose internal fat fairly quickly but I notice a difference with the first 7 lbs because I lose from bust and stomach first. So it will depend on your body make up but you are doing the best thing for you with the 800 Fast and you will have the energy to do a couple of HiiT sessions each week. The hunger does go away. Good luck to you both.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Kerry9 – I’d say that using the 800/8 weeks will certainly compliment the HiiT regime and should mean you will start to see improvements very soon.

I am 61 myself and started out on the BSD at 60. I’m female, but I see no reason that you will not see the same benefits that I have, when it comes to shifting belly fat and the like. To be honest, everyone is a little different and will lose weight at different rates, so I can’t say if you will need to put in more effort to reach your goals. I’m a slow loser, so it’s take me longer than many, to get to my goal weight, but if you stick in there, you will see the results you desire.

You will soon find that your body adjusts to not having the carbs and the light headedness and hunger will subside in the coming days. These are both caused by your body demanding it’s usual carb fix, but it will soon adjust. You can still have the white, just avoid the one flat – you can even have a teaspoon of double cream instead of the milk, as this will help with the hunger. Have your tried Dragonfly Rooibos Vanilla teabags? The vanilla gives the illusion of sweetness and it can be drunk with or without milk or cream.

Be sure to keep your hydration up, include fats – not low fat stuff now – and keep an eye on the carbs as well as the calories. It’s important to weigh, measure and record everything you consume, as well as yourself. Now, swap that Cadbury’s Twirl for a small cube of cheese and get on with it!

Best of luck to you both.

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

I started the BSD in January and kept strictly to the 800 calories for the 8 weeks. Since then I have been more relaxed, but kept to the general principles. From 14-2 at the start of the year I am now a consistent 12-6 to 12-9, bringing my BMI into the healthy range from being overweight (I am a tad over 6 feet tall) and my blood sugar level has improved markedly as well. As to sugar – it really is a killer and best avoided. I know it’s hard – but I haven’t taken sugar in tea or coffee for forty years or so, whereas I used to have two spoons in every cuppa. It can be done – a little while ago we had friends round and I picked up the wrong tea cup and was almost sick on the spot after a mouthful – it had sugar in it! Oh, and I turned 80 last month – the concept does work regardless of age, although, as has already been said, different folk react at different speeds.
    All the best with your efforts
    MIke

• posted by topcac
    on

Even though I have lost 15% of my body weight and have a BMI of 23 I still have a stomach. For me it is absolutely the last thing to go. I have to look like an anorexic on the rest of my body to have a flat stomach. To some extent it’s my make up – I’m female so that doesn’t help – plus all my family carry alot of fat around their stomachs.

Exercise does help a little but abdominal muscles are notoriously difficult to build and take AGES!! Don’t expect to see a difference so soon. If you want a six pack it’s probably possible but not without some seriously hard work. If you are just wanting to be toned you will need to lose weight and try exercises specifically for your stomach. DO NOT DO SIT UPS. they are useless and will most likely damage your neck and spine. Planks are OK but modern thinking is going towards ‘dead bug’ and stomach vaccuming (Google them – vacuuming is bit gross but you’ll get the idea)

And have a little patience – in the words of Take That 🙂

TC

• posted by Kerry9
    on

Thanks to you all for this sage advice – I will press on and take stock in a month’s time.

Please log in or register to post a reply.