Why am I losing inches but not losing any weight?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LoisAndCK
    on

I’m in the middle of week 5 and haven’t cheated once. In the first week and a half I lost 10 lb. Since then, in the last 3 weeks, I haven’t lost a single pound. I am still overweight, so it’s not like I’ve reached a healthy weight and that would explain the plateau.

However, I still seem to be losing inches: 2 inches off my chest and 5 inches off my waist. Week by week, my clothes are getting looser.

How can this be? To not lose any weight at all on the scales, but to continue to reduce the inches?

Also, if you haven’t reached a healthy weight or healthy waist size by the end of the 8 weeks – now looking increasingly likely for me – what do you do? Switch to the maintenance diet anyway, or start the 8 weeks again?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• posted by Lessmuffintop
    on

5 inches off your waist is amazing . I read on dr diet about a man who lost a full 2 clothes sizes but no weight and I have been in diet same time as you and have lost in total 13 lbs. I would just stick in and up water.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

You are asking how come you have lost 5 inches from your waist yet only 10 lbs in weight. Well, 10 lbs is quite a bit (I know its not the massive losses some see) and more importantly it seems you are losing visceral fat (around the organs) hence the loss of inches. This is a good thing and the rest of your body will also start to shed the external fats in time.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

I have been following BSD since January and have lost 36lb. I am a slow loser but one thing I have definitely noticed over the last eight months is that even though the scales don’t always show a loss, my clothes have become looser. I seem to have lost a lot of weight from my bottom and also my shoulders! Clothes would be hanging off even though the scales didn’t move down. I have gone from a 16/18 to a 10/12 in clothes. I am the plateau queen of BSD. I didn’t measure myself when I started and have always used the scales as my gauge of weight loss but our clothes are an even better gauge I reckon. I know I put too much emphasis on what the scales say when they don’t really tell us the whole story.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Certainly don’t be disheartened about a 10lb and 5inch loss, this is all a great step in the right direction. As sunshine-girl says, it would seem you are losing the visceral fat and this is often slow to show up on the scales. Keep going and I’m sure you will start to see those scales move again soon.

Plateaus are very common and some last longer than others, but eventually they all become history. Keep well hydrated, keep a check on the carbs and keep going. It’s up to you what you do at the end of your eight weeks. Lots of us just keep going, some take a break on maintenance and then begin again, some move on the 5:2 and continue to lose some weight that way. It’s really what suits you, your aims and your lifestyle. But whatever route you choose, all best wishes for further positive results.

• posted by LoisAndCK
    on

Thanks so much for all your replies and encouragement. Ok so losing the visceral fat makes total sense; I just need to be patient! I didn’t lose any inches in that first week and a half when I lost the 10 lb – the inches have only come off in the last three weeks when I’ve not lost anything on the scales. Weird. But the fat waist/visceral fat is what I want to fix, so I’m very happy with that.

At the end of the 8 weeks, I’m thinking of having a few days off – go for a couple of meals out, have a few glasses of wine, a packet of crisps … And then I think I’ll be quite happy to do the 800-cals for another eight weeks. It’s really not that bad, is it? I’m not craving anything, not feeling hungry at all, or really missing anything too much – apart from wine!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

My guess is, by the time you get to the end of the eight weeks, you probably won’t want that packet of crisps. Doing the 800 changes both appetites and palates, so that things we used to think of as a wonderful treat, become much less alluring.

Glad you are going to stick with it and we’ll look forward to reading about your progress.

• posted by LoisAndCK
    on

Just thought I’d post an update to this. It turns out you were all correct 🙂 I’ve started losing weight again on the scales – I’m now exactly 1 stone down, and another inch off my waist too. So pleased with this.

Also, you’re right in that the fantasies I’d been having about a packet of crisps is starting to lose its appeal. I’m finding I’m just not craving or that bothered about these “treats” anymore. I do still really miss alcohol though!

Two-and-a-half weeks to go.

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Well done Lois for sticking it out- it wasn’t easy to keep the faith! Go you!

I think it’s fine to take a day or so off – we are all human beings. The key is to identify what works for you on the indulgences and no one can really know what that is but you!

I’ve just spent a month in Italy and in that time I had. Three small scoops of gelato – around one a week. And still managed to lose weight ( but I did do some 24 and 36 hour fasts ). Different strokes etc …

• posted by Daisy Derya
    on

Hi.

Like you I am half way through the 8 week program. However I have lost only 8 lbs and no inches (so don’t know where it has gone). Followed the diet religiously, well almost. Feel a bit like giving up some days but I won’t, I will stick with it till the end in the hope that some miracle will happen and giving up all the things I love will have been worth it.
    When you hear about the huge weight loss most people have experienced it is very disheartening when you struggle. I lost 10 lbs and then put on 2 lbs. I don’t know why because I ate exactly the same as I had the week before.
    I did once cheat and went out for a meal with friends. Just had steak and vegetables so not bad but I did have two cocktails. Lost 6 lbs in that week – that’s the answer – drink more cocktails!

Please log in or register to post a reply.