Whoosh effect

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

I have been seeing that whoosh effect popping up in convo since “researching” the keto/low carbs diet.
    I have experienced myself larger drops after my weight not moving much so I started to look into it.
    I understand the theory but couldn’t find any scientific study/backing. Has anyone come across one?

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi Louise there is a video on take a look at this thread. It is of a nurse and she explains how our fat cells get filled up with water and disperse causing a whoosh effect. It is quite a sweet and funny video. She is great and does talks on keto all over America. Can’t remember her name but she tells you in the video so you can look up her other ones on YouTube.

Hope this helps? Birdy💞🦜

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Louise, so you dont have to wade through 17 pages, it was posted on 17th April by Kazz. Must take a look myself.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Louise, thats a really good question.

I had seen so many articles about it that I have been taking at face value, and have experienced it myself. As a result of your question I went looking for the research behind the idea and discovered lots of different views on why the Whoosh happens. This article seems to be a good summary of the different points of view.
    https://bodyketosis.com/whoosh-effect/

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

It may be that the “whoosh effect” just doesn’t always equate for all to a discard on the scales. I haven’t had the noticeable drops myself. But, I have seen my fatty bits (most obviously tum, first to get bigger and seemingly the last frontier) get dimply and squidgier, and then a few days, or weeks, later i just feel and am that little bit smaller. So the change in the underlying tissue, and fat cells filling with water, which is then released, makes sense to me.If it doesn’t equate to an obvious discard on the scales, it also makes sense to me that muscles and bone, which are heavier, are drawing on the new resources to get stronger.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Oh yes, I remember that you were talking about the dimples 6T.
    Thanks for all the ressources, I’ll go have a look! I’m wondering if my large drops after scales not moving much might be from the whoosh effect so keen to understand it more 👍😊

Please log in or register to post a reply.