White Rice

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Catbasket
    on

We are beginning the diet as I am trying to help my husband to reverse diabetes type 2. On reading the section in the book about brown rice and freezing, does the same apply to white basmati rice ie converting carbs into resistant starch? It’s only that we have some white rice to use up!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Catbasket, it is great you are helping your husband, or is the operative word ‘trying’ meaning he is resistant. On the rice subject there is a lot of debate as to whether this info is true or not, I have heard with lots of bad carbs if you cook and then eat cold they have a different effect on the BG. Also, heard that basmati is okay for a similar reason. But, what I think you will find on here is that we just don’t eat rice, or pasta etc at all. Two reasons, one it makes you continue to crave carbs, and they are addictive, and slows down your changing of the way you eat. Secondly, on 800 calories there is no room for it anyway. I gave my white rice and pasta to my daughter and my husband has some now and then but he has decided it just tastes like gloop and prefers to have a bit of cheese after dinner to fill up a bit. In fact, the less carb you eat the better you cope with this plan.

I have just revisted the book and he says (page 87) easily digestible carbs like rice, pots etc and not evil but should be considered as side dish rather than piled on. The he says on page 88 that ‘easily digestible carbs are the “baddies” because they can cause blood sugar spikes’ – first time I have noticed this inconsistency. On page 90 he shows white rice 72 on the GI and brown rice as 48 – only just on the side of the acceptable 50 GI’s. On page 131 under question, ‘there are carbs on this diet but you say not to eat them’ he goes on to answer, there are some carbs like jumbo oats and brown rice, but in small quantities. These are meant as a taste. I cannot find where he talks about freezing rice – can you point it out to me. If you then read page 227 and 228 where he gives 2 stir fry recipes, neither have rice in them, not even brown rice.

I think where there is some confusion is the book is catering for different levels on BSD including 5:2 and the Med, which both allow a bit of starchy carb and a few more calories. They are really not the starting place for a diabetic wanting to ‘reverse’ diabetes but might be a good start if hubby is finding the 800 Fast too difficult.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

• posted by MissFreddieSausageDog
    on

hi there, I have totally stopped eating rice,and pasta, and potatoes and bread on this diet. this is a high protein low carb diet, I have found a food tracker on the web – 1 cup of long grain rice = 44g of carbs. so if you have a larger portion your doubling up the carbs and there will be no weight loss. I have really taken to cauliflower rice, if you have a food processor its really easy, I steam it in a colander over a pan of boiling water for 6 minutes and its really nice and goes with anything, you can even stir fry it too. one cup of cauliflower to equal the rice in weight on the tracker is 5.1g that’s a massive drop in carbs. and remember if you or partner have T2D then carbs are bad. also I use the spiralizer and have courgette instead of pasta. its so much better for you, no feeling bloated either. The little changes make the biggest difference xxx

• posted by Catbasket
    on

Thanks for your replies and apologies for not replying until now.

I get that we shouldn’t be eating white rice and will give it away! On the brown rice question, I know why you can’t find it sunshine-girl, it’s because I am looking at the 8 week blood sugar diet recipe book! My page 87 is a picture so I know we are not talking about the same thing, or even, we are not on the same page on this subject!

We have got into the cauliflower rice so that’s great. However, I was reading about spiralizing and looking to get a spiralizer perhaps. Before I bought one I tried the pre spiralized ones from a supermarket and found the courgetti to be really watery. I googled and found someone who baked it first to get rid of the water then boiled for a couple of minutes. I baked in the oven until they dried out then just ate them with the dish. They were ok but not really a good substitute in my opinion. Are home prepared ones better do you think? Also does anyone have a recommendation of which spiralizer is the best one to buy?

We have always eaten healthily and have always prepared our food, in almost 30 years of being together. So when my husband was diagnosed with T2D it was a real kick in the face. He was overweight (isn’t now) but our diet had always been good so changing to ultra healthy isn’t too much trouble, we are finding it quite fun trying all the new recipes.

Thanks for any information out there to help.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Catbasket

There was a thread on here a while ago with some links to the “cook and cool” process for creating resistant starch in rice, potatoes etc. In a number of the research papers, the problem was raised that only a proportion of the carbs were converted, so to get them, you’d still be eating a load of ‘conventional’ carbs, which for some of us on here would outweigh any potential benefit.

Re courgetti, I just use a scraper type thing to make them and flash fry them with a bit of ginger and/or garlic in quite a hot pan for probably less than a minute and they’re OK – can’t get too excited about them. I’ve read of people microwaving them, I tried that once but they just went mushy.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Fresh courgetti is much better than pre-prepared, just don’t cook it for too long so it still has a little ‘bite’.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ve never tried pre-made courgetti but I love my home-made version even though I never liked courgette before. I’ve recently upgraded from a hand-held peeler to a proper spiraliser. Like Jules, I fry them. Never been soggy or mushy. I kept eating them even when I wasn’t sticking to the diet because I now prefer them to stodgy pasta “cardboardhydrates”. I also use thin slices of courgette to replace pasta in lasagne. A few days ago I tried my lasagne and the “real” lasagne I’d made for family side by side – identical in all other ways – and genuinely liked mine better.

• posted by Catbasket
    on

Thanks everyone for that feedback. Can I ask Natalie please which spiraliser you have gone for? I have read some with terrible reviews and am not much of a gadget buyer. Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Catbasket, I have a Kuuk spirallizer, does the job and not expensive, about £14 from Amazon. Don’t buy I little cheapie as your hand will give up before you get a meal.

Please log in or register to post a reply.