Which oats??

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Pommie74
    on

Am a little confused as to which oats are best….? Steel cut or rolled? (I know not instant!!) Any suggestions? Thanks

• posted by bigP
    on

I go with steel cut (coarse). In the UK Prewetts Coarse Oatmeal is what I found.

• posted by Frog
    on

I would have thought rolled are better Pommie
    It’s the whole oat, steamed, then pressed or ‘rolled’ to flatten it – presumably so that it cooks faster.
    Steel cut are sliced – presumably different sizes available – to give smaller, more easily cookable oats – but I would imagine that the whole rolled oat will have a

you may find these useful:
    http://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/oatmeal#Overview1
    http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-steel-cut-rolled-and-instant-oats-138355

• posted by bigP
    on

Steele cut oats actually take the longest to cook as they are processed the least, just cut, leaving the bran layers which provides more fibre.

• posted by Frog
    on

oh, thanks bigP – I think I must have been writing my post still when you were posting yours
    I’m not eating oats much at the moment, so the pack is lasting for ages, but I’ll look for the steel ones when I next get some.
    – sorry for misleading you Pommie

I prepare mine by soaking overnight, so only a case of warming them through – but I found a recipe to toast them in the oven, to make a crunchy topping for yoghurt that i’m going to try!

• posted by Barney1974
    on

I don’t get this, I was told that oats are good to have for a breakfast. I want to loose weight on the 8 week plan, using these will it slow me down? thanks all (newbie)

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Barney, yes oats are good for lots of things and should be eaten now and then and in small quantities i.e. 25 to 30g portion for breakfast. Yes it will slow down your weight loss. The reason is that, although it is good for you, it is high in calories – 390 per 100g if you are doing the Fast800. Also for the purpose of this diet it is a high carb food at 66g of carb per 100g. But they are a very slow burning carb so dont give you the fast high and quick drop but keep you full for a long time. However, if you are not doing the full 800 calorie version then 2 or 3 times a week should be okay. It also depends on what you were eating before and if having porridge (no sugar or syrup) could be a big improvement in your diet. My husband has recently had high triglycerides and highish fast sugar test with together could indicate pre-diabetes. He dumped his usual toast and marmalade and weekend croissants and jam for a daily bowl of porridge and his results have dropped considerable putting him out of any health risks (should also say he gave up alcohol too).

Please log in or register to post a reply.