Which is the best yoghurt ?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Dave
    on

Hi,

Please can you advise which full fat yoghurt is recommended for the 8 week blood sugar diet.
    I visited the supermarket and found myself confused by the bewildering array of products on offer, most high in sugar.
    Which high fat natural yoghurt do you recommend ?

Many thanks

• posted by Chongololo
    on

Hi Dave,

If you tell your broad location I’m sure others will chime in with brand names, but overall a good full fat plain greek yoghurt is the go. Check it isn’t reduced fat, and also hasn’t had honey or something added (happens a lot to greek yoghurt).

greek yoghurt is strained so it is thicker and creamier as a result – this also concentrates it’s protein a bit too. Here in Australia farmers union is a brand I have tried. I have heard the UK types mention a brand like faage or something? good luck.

• posted by neohdiver
    on

Fage is wonderful. We have it in the US, as well.

Watch for pectin as an ingredient – it nearly doubles the carbs.

• posted by Donno
    on

I can get Jalna biodynamic pot set plain yoghurt from Australia here in Hong Kong. Hands down the best yoghurt I’ve had. We also get Barrambah Organic, also from Australia, is a close second.

• posted by Dave
    on

Many thanks for the replies, that’s a great help, thank you

• posted by Steve and Ei
    on

I would second – Lidl Milbona Greek Yoghurt- the dark blue pot. (light blue is low fat) Absolutely delicious! Can’t live without it.

• posted by barby
    on

Lidl also do a Turkish version of the full fat yoghurt I’m, tempted to try that next time to see if there is any difference in taste.

I suggest adding a few frozen berries just warmed in microwave, + tea spoon chopped nuts/seeds – delish.

• posted by Giz
    on

Just looked up the CoYo natural yogurt:
    Nutritional Information>
    Typical values per 100g:
    Energy 766kJ/183kcal, Protein 3g, Fat 19g (of which saturates 17g), Carbohydrate 0.5g (of which sugars 0.5g)
    This is what I’m going to have…. Pricey though!! 😇🐽😇

• posted by Frog
    on

I’ve had a few supermarket own brand full fat Greek yoghurts – all fine, but finally had the fage that everyone raves about this evening (lots of mini-supermarkets near me that don;t stock a huge range) – it is more costly than own brand, but totally delicious, and much thicker. It also has less carbs
    Waitrose own brand greek yoghurt – 5.4g carbs (£1 for 500g)
    Fage greek yoghurt – 3.8g carbs (£2 for 500g)

I had cottage cheese today – while eating thought it wasn’t nearly as good as the last pot – when I looked I’d inadvertently picked up a low fat one. Not nice!

You might want to check the carb content on the CoYo one Giz – according to the Waitrose site it has 3.9g of carbs per 100g – and two very different versions on my fitness pal.

• posted by josie53
    on

i love the Aldi one costs £1.29 lasts me 5 days, are strawberries high in carbs looked on one site it said 28g for about 4 of them

• posted by Clematis76
    on

I absolutely love the Lancashire farm yoghurt that Asda sell. Either the ordinary full fat yoghurt or the greek yoghurt. Both are really thick and creamy and both are also live bio yoghurts which not all greek yoghurts are so they’re good for your gut as well!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I love the Lidl Turkish Style Yogurt, which is thick and creamy, comes in a 1liter bucket for just £1.40-ish. 100g is 125kcal with 4.2g carbs. Makes a delicious base for breakfast or a snack.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Dave,
    When I first started the diet in February It was recommended that I try Fage total Greek yogurt, it seems it’s lower in carbs than other yogurts, I have used it ever since, its in a round tub rather than a tall tub, see if you can see it next time you do a shop? Make sure you get the total, not the 0%.
    Christine

• posted by Manxsprout
    on

Living on the IoM, limited choice to Tesco or Waitrose Greek Yoghurt and Fage Total Greek. Although it is more expensive, I’m sticking with Fage Total Greek Yoghurt, it is absolutely delicious and rich.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi manxsprout,
    I agree, when I finally found fage yogurt in morrisons I was really pleased, it is a really lovely and creamy taste, I am really cross if there is none on the shelves! I then have to rely on other (really good) yogurt but not my first choice!
    How long have you been doing this diet? Any tips you have found useful?
    Christine

• posted by Knicky13
    on

Lidl’s greek yogurt is awesome

• posted by Granny Jones
    on

My issue is a calorie mismatch. The recipe for ‘Blueberry and Green Tea Shake’ says 100 calories. I religiously weighed and measured mine, and it came to 194!!

Green Tea – 2
    50g Blueberries – 28
    2 tbsp Greek Yoghurt – 95
    1 tbsp almonds – 34
    Flaxseed – 35

So – do I need to buy no fat yoghurt? I thought that defeated the object, as full fat is supposed to be better for you?

Help.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi

I agree that the calorie mismatch is irritating. No, don’t buy reduced fat yoghurt because the less fat, the more sugar and therefore carbs.

I suggest either

A) plan in your calculation of the calories into your 800 calories or
    B) reduce the quantities of everything until you get to the right calories.

I found I had more control being inspired by recipes, but weighing them out on MFP and cooking myself.

Hope that helps. 🙂

By the way remember that fat is not the villain we have been told – it’s too many (especially refined) carbs. So full fat everything, remembering to count it in the calories. 🙂

• posted by Granny Jones
    on

Hi,

I know all that. My comment was just about the mismatch in ACTUAL calories, to the published ones.
    Another case in point is the ‘no carb ploughmans’. Again, religiously weighed out – on a scientifically calibrated scale (I have an engineering based Masters, so have this sort of junk available) – a much smaller than ‘matchbox’ sized piece of cheddar – and very low sugar chutney.
    Published calories – 250
    Actual – 474

And all totalled with MFP – which I’ve used for ages.

Discuss….

• posted by Dave
    on

Many, many thanks for all your replies and support.

Best wishes

• posted by josie53
    on

dave i think the greek yogurt from Aldi is the best value its about £1.30 for largish tub

• posted by Koriander
    on

Greek yogurt is strained which apparently means that the whey containing lactose sugars are strained off, so it contains more protein and less sugar. Only yogurt made in Greece can be called Greek yogurt, others are Greek style. Cows which are grass fed also have a higher rate of Omega 3 (brain) than omega 6 (fat cells) so look for milk and biological yogurt too. There are other considerations than price and calaries.

Please log in or register to post a reply.