What spices/flavours to add to stir fry with lots of green veg

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by barby
    on

Could any of you great cooks help me (a novice) please? I have been trying to cook from scratch, and tried stir frying chopped greens, beans, peppers, edamame beans, etc. For a bit extra flavour and protein I have added 1/3rd can of Asda Taco Beans, which is tasty but carby, plus a little copped garlic. I eat it with a dollop of Longley Farm Cottage cheese and it is delicious, I’m surprised to say. I am trying to keep carbs fairly low as trying to reverse diabetes.

I want to add that taco flavour and sauce without the beans, sometimes. I don’t know what/how much to add as flavouring to get similar taste to the Taco beans. Concerned chilli may be too hot. I do not like really hot spicy food, just a little tasty.

I have also tried adding a bit of tin of Ratatouille which was quite nice, but needs a small extra kick.

Are frozen peppers OK in stir fry, or the bottled ones?
    I wondered about stirring in a bit of cream or Greek yoghurt at the end, and adding a few cashews.
    I am trying to totally change what I eat, never used to eat greens etc and now trying to make them a main dish (being veggie).

Any other shortcuts/ideas/easy ingredients welcome please. Thanks

• posted by avisamuelgrey
    on

Smoked paprika? You can buy US style hot sauce in the UK now too, it is lovely on scrambled eggs! Also not that hot.
    I often use soy or Worcestershire sauce for stir frying instead of oil or butter, but I have no idea how carby they are. It’s usually just a few splashes to stop everything sticking.

• posted by florob85
    on

Strap in Barby!

Chinese sort of flavours – root ginger, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce – all quite strong so a little goes a long way! Can add chilli to a level as desired, lime juice or fish sauce on more of a Thai slant

Indian – turmeric, ginger, cardamom, cumin, Garam masala, again chilli if you like it but not necessary

Mediterranean – oregano, thyme, rosemary, paprika, garlic, lemon juice

Mexican – chilli, paprika, oregano, cumin

Other good flavour combos – garlic and butter, yoghurt and mustard – whole grain is delicious, yoghurt and paprika, yoghurt and lots of cracked black pepper, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil!

I have loads of other ideas 😂

• posted by RubyG
    on

And now I’m hungry again 🙂

I can only echo the ideas above.

• posted by florob85
    on

Sorry ruby 😂

• posted by florob85
    on

Oh also Barby, I use frozen peppers all the time – they work perfectly in stir fries, the jarred ones are better in a salad because they are already cooked so they go a bit over if you try and stir fry them, but equally tasty!

In terms of other ideas for simple meals – I do “chicken in a sauce” all the time – basically sweat some onion (I used one for two people) and mushrooms in a little oil, brown some chopped chicken in the same pan. Then just add your flavours – so you could add chicken stock and reduce down with loads of pepper and herbs, and add a dollop of yogurt at the end to make it creamy, or add yoghurt and spices, or yoghurt and paprika or creme fraiche (which is too high calorie for me to use that often) or even a dash of double cream and some flavourings, then serve with plenty of green veg like tenderstem broccoli which I love just steamed, or cabbage or spinach or whatever you like and maybe some cauliflower rice. All really quick and easy and we eat a variation on that theme probably a few times a week. I also eat loads of nuts but rarely as a snack – almost always as an ingredient in a stew or a stir fry or whatever, as a coating for meat! Seeds are great to add in for a bit of texture, crunch and nutritional boost too!

I’m a bit of a purist and I won’t blend cuisines – you wouldn’t ever catch me putting turmeric into a sauce made with soy for example – but my partner does it all the time and he’s still standing! I say just experiment! The heat or kick doesn’t have to come from chilli but sometimes a little goes a long way, but you can get a kick from mustard or paprika or pepper without it being spicy.

OH also just discovered adding a splash of vinegar – red wine or balsamic is best, to a tomato sauce takes it to heavenly levels – I always used to use a pinch of sugar to heighten the flavour but now that’s out so try the vinegar, it’s amazing! Or lemon juice works too.

Have fun cooking! Taste everything as you go and if you don’t like it just adjust next time, I’ve only had a handful of disasters (but I’ve been cooking since I was 4) but most of those were still edible!
    Lauren xx

• posted by barby
    on

Thanks everyone some great ideas. Good to know about the frozen peppers Lauren. I am veggie so may substitute Quorn for the chicken.

I am a bit scared of using the spices etc as have not got a natural ability to make nice tasting food – . I think I panic and chuck all sorts in!! I will stick to the combos you have mentioned in future .

The mustard and yoghurt sounds nice. I love ginger, and have some chopped in freezer.

I recently bought a Polish flavouring, Winiary Liquid Seasoning, which I have hardly used yet. It’s a bit savoury.

I have tried this way of eating before, and it’s the only “diet” where I don’t crave junk food and chocolate. But I never stuck to it as I was eating such limited food, being veggie, no fish, I got bored. So I’m making a big effort to go outside my comfort zone this time, and try all sorts, and cook quick meals.. I have a tin of jackfruit in pantry, but haven’t quite been brave enough to try it yet.

• posted by florob85
    on

With the spices etc just go little at a time and taste – you can always add more, but if it’s too much you can’t take away! Have fun with it though, I think that’s the key to making nice food – have fun, enjoy experimenting, you might hit on a magic combo that is amazing to you! But also just laugh it off if it was a failure, it’s not the end of the world if you have to suddenly raid the fridge for some cottage cheese and salad cos dinner was a disaster! You’ll soon learn if something needs more kick or more heat or more acid – and then you can just experiment with the flavours to amp it up to how you want it!

Quorn pieces will totally work in any of the options I suggested, or tofu, I use quorn quite a lot, halloumi is great in Mexican or Mediterranean dishes too and if you’ve ever tried paneer that’s ok in Indian dishes as a meat sub!

Please log in or register to post a reply.