What Now ?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Benns
    on

I have followed the BSD diet since last September lost a lot of weight and got my blood sugar in the normal range which I am thrilled with, but lately I have started struggling and find I am eating more of the things I used to eat but gave up, I am keeping my weight steady at 9stone (previously 11st 4lbs) I weigh myself everyday, but what I am not sure of is having lost weight and keeping it off will me now having more treats eg: a piece of bread, a chocolate bar, a sugar free biscuit etc affect my type 2 diabetes as long as I manage to keep the weight off ? I find that most days now I have something that previously when I was trying to lose weight I didn’t.
    I have read that certain foods are worse for some people than others, so for example bread might be really bad for my Blood Sugar, whereas a chocolate bar might not be so bad, and I am wondering if buying a meter would be useful. I could be deluding myself and just because the weight is off and staying off thinking I can now eat more of the things I previously cut out completely ?
    Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I have just watched a YouTube video of Prof Taylor, the instigator of this diet before Dr Mosley. He says when you get to your ideal weight and blood sugar levels you should be able to eat what ever you want – WITHIN REASON. You should start to increase calories slowly and the same with carbs. However, if you have lost weight you shouldn’t go back to how you used to eat as your body is now smaller and doesn’t need the same amount. It is a matter of trial and error. Sticking with a Med diet, lots of veg, some fruits, good oils and a few carbs might be the way forward but you have to try and see. Are you able to test BG to see if certain foods have an impact and, more important is to keep the weight down.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

That’s a really interesting question, which foods are bad for each of us individually. I know fructose sends my BP soaring, for the rest I don’t know. We do know that taking vinegar with carbs mitigates the glucose spike, eating carbs with protein multiplies it.
    There’s a lot that’s unknown about food combining.
    Allie has said that a glass of wine shows up on the scales for her, for me alcohol doesn’t seem to be a problem and I can recover with a day’s fasting.
    My weightloss is still a work in progress; when I reach my target I’ll certainly do a 42 hour fast at least once a week just to keep my liver rested
    One thing to bear in mind is that every gram of carb consumed attracts 3-4 grams of water.
    Maggie

Please log in or register to post a reply.