What are the benefits of fasting while on the fast 800?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wobblebottom
    on

Hi,
    I often skip breakfast and eat between 10am and 7pm which leaves a 15 hour fasting period.
    Is this likely to have any impact, positive or negative on the outcomes of the diet?
    Thanks

• posted by Frog
    on

Good I should think – I can do late or skipped breakfasts, but I’m rubbish at eating early in the evening.

The BBC did an experiment on their “trust me I’m a doctor” series a few months ago; its not on iplayer any more, but there’s an article about it on the BBC website – the group that had long overnight fasts did better than the control group. Micheal Mosley is in the series, but didn’t present that piece.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/zBx3JZJCKfNBrWgT0Qyj93/the-big-experiment-could-i-lose-fat-just-by-changing-my-meal-times

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Many of us fast from around early evening to breakfast managing 14 hours. hard cases report 16 and eat only in the 8 hour period. It seems that over 12 hours is more or less essential and longer is good. Dr M explained that when we fast our bodies switch into a kind of repair mode rather than storing fat, especially when food is scarce. So 800 cals and a long fast does the job. We need to up our fats and protein when we reduce carbs to a low level and wait for our bodies to switch to fat burning. My blood pressure reduced significantly since I started. I am in week 18 now but no longer counting anything and since I added a magnesium supplement ( I am over 60) I have been transformed in terms of energy that was a bit lacking recently to a point where some days I would be exhausted.

Please log in or register to post a reply.