Went off piste and worried

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Everhopeful53
    on

Hi all, really hoping someone can help. So this is the start of week 12 low carb trying to reduce my HB1ac. Was 58 Nov 22 and last week (after a home test result) came back at 43. Ive lost just over a stone and exercising going really well. Was thrilled with my result so far and the support reading these posts has ben incredible. I have my official GP HB bloods beginning March so I’d like to think I can reduce the reading further.

The issue is this weekend I was derailed on my diet and had a few nasty spikes yesterday and my fasting level was 8.3 this morning which is a lot higher than it has been since about week 2. (Normally under 6.5) Obviously Im well back on track as of now, but;
    Will a day or so of spiking affect my HB test in march or can I call it a blip and get back on track and undo yesterdays damage?
    To say im feeling disappointed in myself is an understatement but I guess I just need some words of wisdom from you lovely lot and a bit of perspective on the situation.

Thanks heaps for reading x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Everhopeful53, your HBa1c test measures the average over the past 12 weeks so there could be a slight increase but it will be so slight as to hardly make any difference. Imagine adding up 12 weeks at say 6.5 and 2 days at 8.2 you are looking at a mean average of around 45 or 6.5 on the other scale. There will always be days when things dont go exactly to plan and there will be days when you get upward blips for no reason at all – at least you know what caused the higher readings and what to do about it.

Looking forward to seeing your March results.

• posted by Everhopeful53
    on

Thanks heaps Sunshine-girl, I will admit to a few tears when I got the first result back from 58 to 43 was a big relief and if I can get back in the normal range in March I will be one very happy lady.
    This diet really does work and although sometimes its a bit of a slog, the food is so tasty and I honestly cant imagine going back to my old lifestyle, especially after last weekends shenanigans!
    I will keep you updated and once again thanks for all the support and inspiration x

Please log in or register to post a reply.