Weight loss

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Willsmum
    on

D-Day for me was April 4, the day I started on my weight loss journey. I have been yo-yo dieting for years, but always revert to old (bad) habits as soon as I lost the weight. After reading the 8 week BSD book, it really scared me – not in a bad way, but a good way. I realised that I had been eating all the wrong foods, a lot of foods with no nutritional value. I knew at the time I was eating the wrong foods, but I’m a foodie – I love the stuff, and I also didn’t know when to stop. The book has awakened me. I feel extremely motivated, and not just for the 8 weeks, but beyond. It has made me want to change my lifestyle, not just lose weight. So, so far I have lost 3.4kg’s in 10 days – incredible. I haven’t craved any sweet things like biscuits or chocolate (both of which I love), however I have to admit that I am finding myself craving a piece of peanut butter toast. Strange, because I didn’t eat that very often at all. However, when this happens I just think of the scales going down. Before this diet, I didn’t even want to hop on the scales! Thank you Michael Mosley for all the hard work that you do in this field, and for debunking all the common diet myths. I have always enjoyed your books and doco’s, however this book has really struck a chord with me. The diet is very easy to follow – a no-brainer really. I will keep you informed of my journey and dare I say, success (I already feel like I have succeeded and I have only just begun).

• posted by Janet1973
    on

You have succeeded willsmum! Well done for finding your way here and for making a cracking start. We are all so pleased to found a champion in Dr Mosley. There is lots of support here for you. Feel free to join in any time on any of the threads and keep going!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Willsmum,
    Check out the Herman Brot bread website. Might be the solution to your toast and peanut butter craving. 2.3g carb per slice and 111 cals ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by jillyB
    on

One of the things I find so good on the BSD diet is that everyone talks in calories, stones and lbs !!
    Yes, I am an Australian, and we have been on metric measure for years, but being from the older generation, my mind automatically converts to imperial. If I don’t, I have no idea if a kilo or kilometre is good or bad. It slightly makes up for this wretched diet.
    jillyB

• posted by Willsmum
    on

Thanks Cherrianne, I’ll check it out.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi Willsmum, lighten up, Peanut butter and a slice of toast is not poisonous, you will soon be enjoying the 800 daily ride. Some folk on here have turned this into a religion of eating weird food and thrashing themselves with exercise. I have not used any of the recipes yet and ho no real interest in doing so. The key is eat fewer carbs replace them with other better nutrients and smile. When the time is right for you it will be time to walk or cycle. Cycling is good because it is non-weight bearing. I am in Week 10 and should hit the so called Normal BMI Prime=1 on Sunday at 80.3 kg for my 1.75m height. All the best and it is a gentle but steep learning curve where you will often find yourself saying, “but I knew that!” and “I just didn’t follow it through”. Cheerio

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Willsmum, welcome to the forums. Have you tried the peanut butter dip recipe in the book? That really answers the peanut butter urge! Cut plenty of celery sticks etc to have with it. You will love it!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Willsmum,
    as SkyWalker says, the occasional thing won’t go amiss, so long as it is occasional. I had not thought about Peanut Butter for ages, but I Was watching a wildlife programme last night and they were putting peanut butter out to attract badgers into an area where they were filming. I started thinking about the fact it is nuts so must be ok :-(. After the programme I looked at the calories/carbs and decided probably not – but I will have a look later at a brand like Neal’s Yard who do pure peanut butter!
    SkyWalker – I am intrigued by your the ‘Normal Prime =1’, that is that? I am around your height and I don’t get into the normal range until 74kg.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi jillyb , we Brits have been on metric measurements for years too, but we older generation still visualise in pounds and stones! Though as a primary school teacher I have had to teach in metric for decades you would think I would find it easier these days!! When it comes to my height and weight it’s imperial measures all the way!!

I was a bit surprised you referred to this ‘wretched diet’. What is it you are finding difficult? Can we help in any way? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Orchid try the peanut butter dip recipe from the book! Luscious!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi Wills mum, I started a thread on BMI Prime but nobody was interested. All it is BMI divided by the Normal BMI of 25 gives a number

I started out at BMI 31.4, BMI Prime 1.3 (obese) i.e. 31.4/25 when I was 96.2 kg/15 stones and now at 80.5 kg BMI 26.3, 12 stones 10 lbs I am still 1.1 (overweight) 26.3/25 the normal range varies from 25 -26.1 to the upper limit of normal body mass.

Some prefer the waist = half your height method. If you search the thread will come up.

Cheerio

• posted by jillyB
    on

Thank you hashimoto,
    No help required, only I can change this bad attitude I have acquired. I am in my 3rd week, could be doing better weight wise, I am continually hungry with constant “nervy” feelings in my abdomen, light headed and dizzy, not particularly a fan of the food, cranky, going “stir crazy” always in the apartment busy thinking up what to do with the next few menus, then preparing them, then finding I haven’t got one of the essential ingredients, so skip that and look for something else. I thought that I had done my weekly shop successfully. My blood pressure is up for the first time in years, I am technically high but have been normal with the help of medication. My stress level is getting higher with the break down in my computer and pedometer. \even this website is playing up….after 3-4 weeks of successfully logging in with my registered user name and password, the website decided to not accept this anymore ! I have contacted the tech in there and after a day+ they answered, sympathised, offered suggestions and then said they would do it for me. I said “yes” but haven’t heard since. I am making allowances for the fact that they might be in the UK, therefore in a different time zone. There, I have my monkey off my back…I hope ! Is it proper to ask if I am conversing with a man or woman ??
    I have also acquired severe cramps in my calves in the early hours in bed since being on this diet. Anyone else got this problem ?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi jillyb, my name is Judith so that should answer your question!!!
    If you are not a fan of the food I am assuming you are sticking to the recipes in the book?
    You don’t have to. Many of us are eating our usual diet minus the bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. I still enjoy (as does Lucia) a cooked breakfast of bacon and egg with perhaps grilled or fried mushrooms or tomatoes. Lucia makes a kind of breakfast muffin. Lucia I think you should post it in the recipes section!!! She puts a mushroom in the bottom of a muffin case, wraps the bacon around the edge to form a ‘cup’ and drops in an egg and bakes in the oven.
    So a curry, a chilli, roasted chicken , fish etc are all on the menu with a salad or veg.

The important things are keeping at 50g or below and including fat in your diet as well as 2 – 3 litres of water a day.

The ‘what have you eaten today’ thread is full of ideas!

Hope things improve for you ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.