WAS doing so well!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Snowdrop78
    on

Have reached a low point! I’ve managed to drop from 11st 8lb to 10st 2lb in roughly 10 weeks, the first 5 weeks showing the greatest weight loss. However I fell into a bit of a trap, I realised I could indulge at the weekend and it would only take 2-3 days to get the extra few pounds off, trouble is I was then only loosing 1-2lb by Thursday/Friday and then it was the weekend again! After this weekend I weighed in at 10st 7lb.
    I have a really important holiday in 8 weeks time and I really need to loose another stone to ;
    1) Be happy with my body
    2) enjoy the holiday and not deprive myself
    3) give myself enough leeway so I’m not back at 11st 8lb when I return from holiday!!
    I’m feeling low, bloated from the weekend and close to giving in to the ‘what’s the point’ demon.
    Need a boost and motivation to push for my dream goal 9st 7lb and total of 2st weight loss.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Snowdrop

PEP talk. By now if you have re-read your post you may have seen sense already. You have EIGHT WEEKS to go before that really important holiday….this diet is MADE JUST FOR YOU. Forget about weekends off, close that trap door for a while, amble on through, 8 weeks will fly by and you will feel great even before the hols. One stone off is better than on, stick with it. Imagination goes a long way…IMAGINE another stone off before you take off. Don’t fret about gain on the break either, lots of us have had holidays, fully enjoyable holidays with minimal gain if any.

Good luck.
    Nettle.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Snowdrop – firstly, Nettle is right, you have a full eight weeks and if you get back to basics and really push for this, that extra stone is do-able.

Secondly, it’s important to understand that the BSD is not just a diet, but the basis of the way we should be eating for the rest of our lives – that phrase ‘and not deprive myself’ concerned me a bit. I have had two long breaks from the 800 for extended vacations and managed to only gain a couple of pounds each time, but this was by observing the BSD principles and keeping control of carbs – especially alcohol. Returning to our old ways of eating (and drinking) will have the same result as it did before, so once you have the body you feel good about and comfortable in, do all you can to protect and maintain it – holiday or no. That said, an extra few pounds is quickly dealt with post holiday, by getting back to the BSD basics.

Right now, refocus and make everyday a full BSD day until you go away and I’m sure you will be at your desired weight – best of luck.

• posted by Snowdrop78
    on

Thank you Nettle for the encouragement, I really like the imagine theory and am sure i will get there. Just have to be strong through those occasions I could talk myself into a treat!

• posted by Snowdrop78
    on

Thanks SunnyB. I appreciate your concern and truth be told I did google ‘diets to loose weight fast’ when deciding to do a diet. The BSD came up first and it resonated with me because my husband is at risk of type 2 with being over weight and father being diagnosed in recent years. In the very distant past I tried Atkins and did well but to me that isn’t a life style change, I also tried Slimming World and whilst it’s a what I call ‘friendly’ diet it just doesn’t give the satisfaction of loosing weight at a decent pace for me. I totally agree with you that the BSD is a lifestyle choice and I’m totally up for it, I enjoy the food choices and have no real craving for carbs, however I do enjoy them when I eat them. I know I can maintain with this diet and I guess I’ve allowed myself to do that over the last few weeks and felt like my momentum had stalled. Will get back on it today and be strong at the weekend πŸ™‚

• posted by Eileen27
    on

This forum was made for me! I felt I was doing so well too. After years of every diet under the sun I thought I had really found THE ONE this time. I am still sure I have but it’s still tough.
    I’ve been on and off the BSD since the new year and lost just 9lbs. It was 11 lbs but I haven’t maintained that even. Too many ‘dos’, lunches and weekends away and other various excuses. What I haven’t got into my head is that it has to be a way of life as you say. I’m still in that frame of mind which says when I lose the weight I will be able to have this and this and this. The posts on this forum tell me this is the wrong way round. It has to be a new way for the rest of my life.
    Even writing this has helped. Even if no one reads it. I will be in a stronger frame of mind tomorrow to have another try – and do it this time. I will post my progress tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for being there! X

• posted by Theodora
    on

Eileen I think it’s Einstein who is credited with saying β€œThe definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”, and maybe this forum should adopt it as our motto, because I think we have all been guilty in the past of going on diets, losing weight, thinking “job done” and returning to our old way of eating and wondering why we get fat again!! πŸ˜žπŸ˜œπŸ˜”πŸ˜²

So, yes, you are right – this diet has to become a way of life, and it’s really not too much of a hardship when one considers the scummy food it consists of and the health benefits we gain. So back on the wagon – you can do this, and we are all here to support you if / when you need it. Looking forward to hearing of your progress. πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Theodora
    on

Oops, sorry, just noticed my typo in the above post. Obviously BSD food is NOT scummy!!! Of course, I meant to type scrummy – what a difference an R makes! πŸ˜‰

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I read your post Eileen and I hope you have managed to make your new start today. It is a struggle to stay focused in the early days and not be tempted to ‘go off piste’, but the results are so worth sticking with it, even for ‘do’s, weekends away etc. and it’s actually really easy to do in almost all situations. Just be sure to avoid the high carb items and watch the alcohol.

One thing I would add, is that the longer you eat the BSD way, the less appealing and palatable those carby foods become. Your tastes will change and the day will come when those things you used to find a tempting treat, are no longer so alluring making it easier to resist – and often if you give in, it’s not nearly as yummy as you remember. We had a family gathering with lots of children at the w/e, so for fun I did a chocolate fountain. Even just licking a little of the melted chocolate off my finger after filling the fountain, was enough to make me pull a face at how disgustingly sweet it was – I didn’t partake further.

Best of luck to you and to Snowdrop and I hope you will be posting some great results soon.

• posted by Snowdrop78
    on

Thank you Eileen and Theodora for adding your posts, it really is helpful to hear that others are or have felt the same. This is diet is the longest I’ve ever done and I feel good for it. I really do feel I have the tools to make this a way of like and be totally content with it. I’ve got back on the wagon this week and reading the positive comments is keeping the determination up so thank you all. As I said in my first post after the weekend I’d gained 5lb, I’m happy to say a weigh in this morning I’ve lost 4 of those pesky pounds and feel great. Onwards and upwards and positivity heading into the weekend….. might need a little boost from you guys to keep the determination up on Friday if anyone is about

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Thank you SunnyB and Theodora for your very encouraging posts. So pleased you lost those 4 lbs Snowdrop. That’s also very encouraging for me to realise that getting back to it gets results. I’m pleased to say I’ve had a good day. I was busy this morning and didn’t need breakfast so my first food was at 2.30pm ( from 10.30 last night). Reading Michael Mosley in the press on Sunday he talked about some people doing the 16:8 diet – fasting overnight for 16 hours – eating dinner earlier and breakfast later. My eating and fasting hours were a bit different but still the same gap. I think that helped keep the calories to 800, carbs at 56. I use the FatSecret app which I have at last figured out how to do!
    When I first lost weight at beginning of this year I didn’t count calories. I just used the recipes. But I’ve read on the forum that the calorie and carb counts were lower in the book than they really were. Since counting I find that’s true. I am amazed at the carb value of some veg and certainly fruit such as apples! I don’t know whether I should count it all ( makes me a bit depressed as the carbs mount up) or whether I should just stick to the recipes. Any views??
    I hope you Snowdrop, SunnyB and Theodora have had a good day too. I hope the scales tomorrow reflect my optimism today! Sleep well x

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done Snowdrop and Eileen – just take each day as it comes and do your best and the weight loss will follow. Maybe set yourselves some mini goals so that it doesn’t all seem too daunting? I would also advise keeping a record of your successes, both weight wise and the little non-scale victories – maybe you are sleeping better etc. Then, when you feel down or disheartened you can look back and see just how far you have come and what you have achieved. πŸ˜„πŸ˜›

Good luck to you both – you can do this πŸ˜€

PS Eileen, my advice would be to count EVERYTHING!

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Well I was pleasantly surprised this morning. I’d lost the excess weight I’d put on over my difficult weekend and early part of this week. So I am now back to my lowest since starting in Jan. I was extremely careful y’day so it can be done.
    I’ve tried today too but exceeded the 800 Cals. Cooked the creamy fish pie but mine worked out many more calories than the recipe said. I enjoyed it but I found it too rich and creamy. I will adapt the recipe next time, leaving out the butter and cream. Maybe it will be lower then. I can save the cream for my coffee!
    How are you doing Snowdrop? Are you feeling more encouraged?
    Theodora and SunnyB – I’m so grateful for your up- beat comments. Have you been on this BSD for long? Thanks again everyone x

• posted by Snowdrop78
    on

Hi Eileen. Thanks for asking and yes I’m doing well. I’m back at 10st 2lb this morning and feeling really positive going into the weekend. I have also missed breakfast so won’t eat not until about 1ish, I have a small green salad with some smoked salmon. I have also planned for tea to have roasted Mediterranean veg with a salmon fillet, I know it’s doubling up on the fish but I really fancy it and feeling positive about no alcohol to night, than can be my undoing as once a couple drinks have gone down I start to crave the carbs like crisps or chocolate! But not tonight ✊️✊️✊️✊️
    I have always stuck to the recipes but some I found the spices or garlic too overwhelming so have adapted to taste. Our favourite is the Thai red curry, I make a double batch so we can freeze for another night, also the Thai pork balls are good, the pork in mustard sauce is fab too although we opt for the loin rather than chops.
    My favourite discovery is bulgar wheat, such a great alternative to rice or pasta. I’ve been doing the diet since the middle of January, as with all diets the first few weeks were hard, but as your body and mind adjust to the changes it becomes easier. We have all had our weak days and regretted it but I do feel as though my body is responding well to getting back on it, it’s almost like it remembers what it’s supposed to be doing.
    Keep the faith and the good work ladies and thanks for all the encouragement from you guys, it really does help πŸ™Œ X

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Snowdrop – you’ve done do well. What a loss! A good place to be for the weekend.
    I started at 11st 8 lbs on Jan 1st. Lots of celebrations and a couple of weekends meant I didn’t stick to you. Today I’m back up to 10st 12lbs. Added on 1lb y’day. I knew I would. I found the creamy fish pie too much last night and I was well over the calories. Not so long ago I weighed 12st 3lbs so at least I’m not that now.
    Tonight we’ll have smoked mackerel with wilted spinach and samphire, then a few strawberries with cream as it’s Friday. BUT I will do without the alcohol. Have a good afternoon and evening everyone x

Please log in or register to post a reply.