Vitamins and thin hair?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by FatBob
    on

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend what vitamins they are taking during the 800kcal phase.

I’m taking wellman – but when you look at the rda of each vitamin, and think about the super low calorie diet – I doubt it’s enough.

It’s only made me think – as my barber noted that my hair is starting to go thin. Something no one has ever said before as usually my hair is very thick. But now he mentioned it – you can see my scalp a lot more now.

I did the “fast 800” last year – went from 20.x stone to 17 stone. 3 stone in 8 weeks 🙂
    But my goal is 15 stone. So I’m going back on it.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Fatbob. I take a general vitamin supplement for 60+. After five months of low-carbing my hair started to thin this time last year. Difficult to know if this was age-related or diet-related. But I suspect that I had let protein levels go too low. I now try to ensure at least 50-60g of protein a day (which MM recommends) and my hair has stopped thinning. Have you looked at this aspect?

• posted by alliecat
    on

I had the identical experience Caron, about 20 years ago when I put myself on a ridiculous semi starvation diet (500-600cal).
    After 5 months, my hair was thinning and filling my brush. This time around, I did my research, and settled on 50-60g
    of protein/day, and no problems this time. I’m glad you were able to recognize the problem and reverse it 🙂

• posted by Happyhel35
    on

Iron tablets sorted it for me. Could you ask for a full blood count at the doctors? good luck x

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Fatbob: Hair loss can be linked to low levels of individual micronutrients (vitamins/ minerals/ essential fatty acids), to macronutrients (protein/ carbs/ fat) or to insufficient overall calories. Would you be able to consult your family doctor, a pharmacist or sign up for the Fast 800 online programme for medical supervision? If not would you consider increasing your calorie intake somewhat, or cycling on and off the strictest phase?

Another option is to select some of the foods you eat based on how nutrient-dense they area. So instead of chicken thigh you might have canned sardines with the crumbly bones or chicken livers. Self Nutrition Data is a useful website to check the micronutrients because you can adjust the serving size. A final option might be to switch to a different product from the Wellman range. Again please double check this with your pharmacist, family doctor or other healthcare professional.

HTH!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Fatbob, are you sure the thinning hair is related to your diet? Almost all men seem to suffer some degree of hair loss as they age, no matter what they eat.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Reported

• posted by JGwen
    on

reported

Please log in or register to post a reply.