Violinist start 8 week BSD today, Oct 28, 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

Today, I combined all my calories into one meal, a pot of soup. It was really just a random mix of things like leeks, green onions, spinach, mushroom, broth, chicken, turkey bacon, eggs – basically all the things I planned to eat that day. It ended up surprisingly delicious.

on

175.8 this morning. Super tired, couldn’t sleep last night, stayed up until 4. Not sure what caused my insomnia. It actually had gotten better the past two days.
    Anyways, I want to add in a workout soon, either a strength training one, or a walk or jog. Just so tired lately.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning!
    Still not down to 800 calories. And ofcourse, still no weight loss. Gotta rally!

on

I’m really struggling this week. My depression is getting in the way of my success. I need to try hard to not let my sadness overtake my determination.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Hi Gheart! I tried to post yesterday and they all disappeared. So sorry you are suffering so. Are you getting enough salt?

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

GHeart – sorry to read that you’re struggling. Be kind to yourself and think about this as a long term way of eating and not a quick fix. Don’t be too hard on yourself over your lack of success. I read a post yesterday (I think it may have been from JGwen] about not being a slave to the scales and it really resonated with me. I know that for me what the scales have shown in the morning has determined my mood for the day ie good mood if weight loss and bad mood if stayed the same or worse! losing weight is not easy and takes a lot of resolve and determination and if you’re not in a good place it will be even more difficult. maybe if you take the pressure off yourself you might find it easier to just slowly plod with this way of eating. One thing I learned when I embarked on this way of eating was that comparing my weight loss to others did not help me. Some people were losing their weight quickly and I, along with a few others were slow losers. It doesn’t matter how long it takes GHeart. Once you’re feeling brighter you may find this so much easier.

Like you I’ve been struggling with insomnia this week- last night was the best nights sleep I’ve had this week. Do you think it is the low carb affect? I didn’t notice it last time I didn’t strict BSD but this week I’ve really been struggling to get to sleep. I am well into ketosis now as per my ketostix so maybe it is related.

• posted by Violinist
    on

I have some important great news!!!!!! My new doc supports the keto way of eating!!!! She has lost 40 pounds since January and although she wishes me to not go under 1,000 calories, she is in on everything else!!!!

CCathy, low carb may be keeping you up for a few days?

• posted by alliecat
    on

That’s EXCELLENT, Violinist!!! It’s difficult to find a Doc who knows the first thing about nutrition on our side
    of the pond! It’s a sadly neglected area of study in traditional medical school…At least my internist admits
    that he knows nothing, so supports whatever I have done to achieve success. He only cares about results,
    and those I have delivered. Keep up the good work 🙂

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Thanks Violinist, I’ve taken my carbs super low this week for me and I think it has affected my ability to get off to sleep. Happy to report my weight has gone just under 140 lbs today. Today I weighed 139.4 so my hard work is starting to shift the stubborn weight!

Great to have the support of your doctor. When I started in January 2017 I thought this way of eating was another fad so had a chat with our diabetes nurse at work who was thoroughly supportive and I went on to prove to her that it did work. You’ll still lose weight at 1000 calories so hope she has inspired you to keep going.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Good to read about losses for some this Week. Well done CC, that must feel so good ! I am still toying with ‘ketosis’ : it’s not very consistent as yet . My ketostix are more pink than purple 😉

That’s fantastic news Violinist ! Nothing betetr than having a keto doc ! I must say there is more discussion about keto in France right now but it hasn’t yet reached my ‘Calories In, Calories Out’ doctor !

G heart don’t give up. You were brave to come on here and voice your feelings . You are strong and I believe your determination will win through but allow yourself some ‘slack’ . You’re struggling this Week so ease off a bit and rest up. You won’t always feel this low and you can get back on track when your mood lifts. Noone judges, noone is comparing. We are here to rejoice in the successes and to support anyone who needs a hug . Have a hug Goodheart xx

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thanks so much, you guys! Yes, I was shocked when she admitted eating keto. It was funny as she said “Now, I can’t professionally encourage you to be on keto because the medical profession has not caught up with this. But, it is the only way I can lose weight.”

CCathy, she HAS encouraged me!!! I see her in 3 months so here I go!!!

on

Hello. Just finished 36 hour fast. Went well. My daughter had a party today but I successfully resisted the hot dogs and chips and cookies that were placed near me. Now I’m eating a delicious soup of leeks, green onions, spinach, chicken, eggs, turkey bacon, and mushrooms. Feeling slightly better with my successes. I really want to see the scale drop to under 170 (I’m 176.8 right now) so I’ll keep plodding along.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Well done GHeart! I can’t say I’ve done so well at my son’s birthday party today. But I have prepared a lovely soup of chicken, leek and celery to have for my lunch tomorrow and get back on track!

• posted by alliecat
    on

That’s all that’s necessary, Natalie! Just brush yourself off and begin at the very next meal. No real damage
    done if you get right back to it. Your soup sounds very nice! I’m working on a kale, pancetta and a white
    cannellini bean creation this afternoon, with a parmesan rind in the chicken broth for flavor. I love leeks,
    so may include 1 in the mirapoix! Have a great afternoon 🙂

on

Natalie, I didn’t have a great night following that. So I share your regret, but I definitely want to do better. So let’s keep going together! Today was better, I stuck to my planned menu (so far) and have been trying to stay hydrated.

I had a question – when you fast, chicken broth is often an approved liquid, so what about when you do the 800 calories – should you count the broth too?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Count everything, always GHeart. No free calories, like WW and SW. I’m sorry 🙂

• posted by Natalie
    on

I count my (homemade) chicken broth, but I’m never really sure how many calories to assign! MyFitnessPal suggested 53, so I just go with that. I assume the calories have leeched into the liquid. (I don’t fast, I mean I count it as part of my day’s calories)
    Has anyone noticed that this thread started next year? We have a time traveller in our midst.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Nathalie – when you have a spare moment, would you post your chicken broth recipe please? I’d like to make the real thing, but buying bones from a butcher puts me off as I’d have to go out of my way to find a butcher at the weekend.
    I’d like to hear from anyone else too regarding their chicken broth.
    Thanks
    Kazzzxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.