Vegetarian Book

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Claire0310
    on

I’m thinking of getting Rose Elliot’s Vegetarian Low Carb Diet Cookbook. Has anybody else got it and if so, is it any good? I’m looking for a bit of inspiration.

• posted by Bissell
    on

I bought it for a quid at a car boot sale last week. I find these are great sources of low carb cook book, mainly hardly used! I can’t help having a sneaking look at the vendor and thinking ‘ perhaps you should have tried a few recipes!”.
    It’s good, yes. I’ve tried a few and found them interesting. Like you, I’m always looking for inspiration.

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Thanks for that. I’m going to buy second hand on Amazon. eBay is also good for second hand books

• posted by LondonGirl
    on

I have bought 5:2Vegetarian by Celia Brooks- where all meals are 300 cals or less and Hamlyn’s book- 200 light vegetarian dishes where the recipes are 400/300/200. I have also bought the recipe book produced alongside this diet- it is not veggie- but those that are not suitable I will use substitutes- like tofu- which is definitely allowed and occasionally quorn- the basic quorn is recognised as low fat- I would not personally buy their ready meals while on the diet.

• posted by DamnYankee
    on

Does anyone have any other good low-carb, calorie counted, make-every-bite-count cookbooks for vegetarians? I can muddle along pretty well based on what I already know and on the recipes in the 8 week book for a bit, but it’s definitely easier and faster if the calories are already counted. I’m not vegetarian but my husband is and he’s the one who’s diabetic. I checked out the 5:2 Vegetarian book on Amazon and that does look as if it will fit the bill pretty well, so thanks for that! When my husband was initially diagnosed he said he wanted to go low carb (he’s a big rice and beans lover haha) and we couldn’t really figure it out, so this is enormously helpful.

• posted by Claire0310
    on

I find Quorn products pretty good and also pre-prepared tofu pieces. I bought various low carb vegetarian cookery books (thankfully second hand) but I found them all pretty poor. I tend to just adapt recipes in ‘normal ‘ cookery books. Tesco and Sainsbury’s own brand vegetarian freezer aisles are quite good also

• posted by DamnYankee
    on

Thanks for your reply Claire – I looked a little harder at the books and decided against them. With a further look, the 5:2 book seems to be more about just keeping it low-cal with a rather dubious take on nutrition and most of the others don’t have calorie counts. You’re right – it will be easier to just adapt regular recipes. I may get the 8-week cookbook since at least it will fit the bill, even if the recipes in the 8-week diet book are slightly strange in the methods. Sigh! We get some basic Quorn here in the US, but nothing like what’s available in the UK – every time I go I’m transfixed by the offerings in Tesco!

• posted by Claire0310
    on

Hi all. I’ve just bought The Hairy Dieters Go Veggie. Not studied it in great detail yet but an initial flick through is very encouraging. All calorie counted with many looking like they avoid simple carbohydrates or could do with minor tweaking

• posted by LondonGirl
    on

I have just bought it too and it will be great for occasional recipes- from a Healthy Eating perspective aside from the Blood Sugar Diet books I have opted for James Wong’s new book and all of Dale Pinnocks books.

• posted by Pukkapies5
    on

Look on Pinterest too, there are loads of vegetarian ideas. Just search blood sugar diet. I found a lovely cottage pie recipe with quorn mince, and cauliflower mash for topping. My husband also thinks its delicious and we now have it every week.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Reported

• posted by Martenst
    on

It looks really interesting

Please log in or register to post a reply.