using meal replacement shakes occasionally

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by vimtogirl
    on

Hi, I’m planning to start the Fast 800 in a few days. I did the Newcastle diet in 2014, and although I lost a lot of weight, my T2 wasn’t reversed (i’ve been T2 for 10+ years). My motivation for doing the Fast 800 is to lose weight and reduce my meds. My question is, does anybody use the meal replacement shakes just occasionally. I find the Tesco Ultraslim ones really nice, and on days when I struggle time wise, it would be handy to use them, maybe2-3 days a week.
    Thanks

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Yes Vimtogirl I use shakes several times a week when busy. I’m in Australia and use Optifast.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi, I think it depends on what carb levels you are aiming for but if they suit you then go ahead. I think many people on here trying /succeeding to reverse their diabetes went very low carb, some much less than 50gm/day and these shakes are around 25gm per portion when made up with skimmed milk (info from Tesco website). Just a thought – maybe you didn’t reverse your T2 as your carb intake was too high? And the other obvious thing, you have to pick your way around all this to find what is sustainable for you to make it a way of life to reverse T2 and not just a diet for a while, so again if the shakes help with that then there’s no reason not to use them. Best wishes for a successful meds reduction very soon.

• posted by vimtogirl
    on

Thanks Annie, I used Slimfast when I did the Newcastle, but since they changed the formula I find them revoltingly sweet. I never really thought about the carbs in the shakes possibly having a negative effect, maybe I should do some more pre-diet meal planning, and only use the shakes if desperate. Thank you for giving me something to think about :))))

Please log in or register to post a reply.