Type 2 but don't need to lose weight

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kat1664
    on

Hello, I’ve been on the BSD for a week now. I’m 41, 5 foot tall and weighed 8 stone 9 when I started and have lost 2 lbs in the first week. My finger prick first thing in the morning ranges from 5.5 to 7. I also run 5k most mornings burning about 250 calories. I’m not on the diet to lose weight but to get my sugars down. Do I need to stick to 800 calories a day or is it more a case of cutting the carbs?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Definitely you need to be cutting the carbs, but you still need a calorie restriction and to get into ketosis to make the body burn the visceral fat, if it is getting sufficient fuel of any type from your diet it will use that first. If you know what your TDEE is try to aim for no higher than 500 calories under that or it probably won’t work. Good luck with getting your sugars down ☺

• posted by Kat1664
    on

According to the calculators, my TDEE is about 1700 so this 800 a day BSD diet is well under. I weigh and log all my food/drink in MyFitness app and average about 1000 calories a day. No pasta/potatoes/bread/rice. As it has only been a week and I have lost a few pounds, I will continue as I am and just keep monitoring my sugar. 😊

• posted by Anonymous
    on

My partner is pre-diabetic (and we don’t want to start on meds), he is okay for weight and exercise but sugar reading fluctuates. We find the best general rule of thumb to keep fairly regular on readings is as follows: Omelette for breakfast with cottage cheese. High protein soup for lunch such as bacon and lentil with maybe some soaked oats and yogurt after. Dinner is a fairly normal 25% meat (fish at least twice a week) , 25% or less carbs such as polenta, beans or lentils then all the rest veg, veg and more veg. If he is full of veg he does not snack at all. He does not eat breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta or rice but does sometimes vary things a bit with legumes, pulses, nuts, barley – you get the picture. I found that starting with a limited menu then taking note of any spikes when a new item was introduced was sure fire way of finding out what should be avoided or eliminated. Try keeping a food diary and see if it helps.

Please log in or register to post a reply.