Trying really hard not to beat myself up

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by VMHuck
    on

It’s not that I’m not on plan–I am. It’s that since I’ve lost a chunk of weight (approx. 10 lbs — I don’t weigh as the scale makes me too obsessive), I realize that I probably weighed more than I thought when I started. I’m really down about that because it means I have farther to go than I thought.
    Backstory: In 2011, I lost approx. 40 lbs w/in 6 months just counting calories (1400 per day)—no restrictions on carbs. My metabolism was normal then, so I could still lose on 1400 a day (now, that would never happen; I’m older & have thyroid issues). I kept that loss off within 5 – 7 lbs for 9 years! In 2020, with lockdowns, remote work, and disruption of my gym routine (although I still kept exercising), I slowly started putting on weight. Even though things got back to normal in 2022, I was still not counting calories anymore. Esp. during the holidays of 2022, I ramped up my eating and probably put on 5-10 lbs just in a few months. I knew I was gaining and wanted to stop eating, but I couldn’t bring myself to get back on the wagon.
    Anyway, in Jan., my husband and I decided to plan a bucket-list European vacay for June. That is my motivation to get on Fast800. I started out thinking I had about 20 lbs to lose to get back to “normal,” i.e., to where I can wear all my old clothes. After losing 10 lbs since the last week of January, I decided to open some of my bags of old clothes to see how far away I am from getting into them. Big mistake. I’m far away—more than 10 lbs. I might get into most of them at 15. How depressing.
    And at this point in Fast800, my weight loss has slowed down. I am very attuned to my body, and I can tell I’m plateauing. This is so depressing. The end of my 12 weeks on Fast800 will be the 3rd wk of April. I don’t think I will make my 20 lbs by then (and now I realize I need to lose about 25).
    Sigh. Don’t know why I posted. Just wanted some of you folks to commiserate with me. I’d also love some success stories from folks who had a similar amount to lose and did it.
    FYI: I’m not super low carb because I don’t have pre-diabetes and I don’t plan on eliminating carbs on maintenance (I do eat healthy —all homemade soups, salads, etc.)

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi againVMHuck, you have done so well in the past so know you can do it. Yes I do commiserate. I am 7 years on this diet and still not at goal. Don’t panic, it is not like that for everyone. Firstly, I am diabetic and do the low carbing to keep my BG at good levels, secondly, I am on insulin which is known as the fat attracting hormone – for every 10 units of insulin injected = 1 lbs of fat storage, so as far as weight goes I am fighting a losing battle but not quite. I am actually winning having lost around 28 lbs and reducing my insulin injections I having managed to maintain the 28lb loss for around 5 years – so still winning and still hopeful and motivated.

I guess I am a success story due to my diabetic improvements but also for my tenacity to keep going. There have been lots of successes and big losses on this site but those who get to goal eventually leave us and get on with life. There are others who have had great achievements, Verano for instance (hope you dont mind me mentioning you V). We started at the same time and are still here cheering on new members. One lady lost over 100lbs but is no longer a member, unless she is lurking.

June is still 13 or 14 weeks away and at 2lb a week you could be 2 stone lighter. Even if you don’t do 2lbs every week you can manage 20lbs.

I am glad you are taking a sensible and realistic attitude to the carbs. We have to live our lives. Something I have just come round to realising after a near death experience and surgery. Keep on keeping on.

By the way, why dont you join our weekly thread and keep us up to date with your progress and you can see how we are all doing or not doing…. I think it is now called something to do with March and the date 28th February – run by Wendleg. Hope to see you there.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi
    The scale is a really bad way to measure progress. – You may remember from your first time on the wagon that when we cut out carbs so insulin levels are reduced the hormone systems which control body repairs can work. – So bones can be strengthened, and muscle built in response to exercise. – The combination of these with using fat for fuel can bring inch loss while the scale doesn’t move. So break out the tape measure to monitor progress.

A holiday is something to look forward to and there is still time to ramp things up if you wish.

• posted by VMHuck
    on

Thank you for the encouragement, sunshine-girl! I will find and join the weekly check-in. Today wasn’t a good day. For the past few days, I had been fantasizing about some whole-wheat seeded bread with peanut butter (weird to fantasize about that rather than, say, a chocolate bar, but as I mentioned, I actually eat healthy — just too much of it). I finally caved after dinner and am now at least at 1500 calories for the day. Sigh. This is why when I sometimes consider have scheduled “cheat” days, I don’t. I find that I end up having them anyway.

But I feel okay and am ready for a new week of being on target.

• posted by VMHuck
    on

Thanks, JGwen. You’re right. As for ramping it up, my concern is that if I go uber strict (e.g., super low carb, say 20<), I’ll just gain really fast when I’m on vacation.
    I already exercise 6-7 times a week (3, doing some kind of CrossFit workout & walking the other days). I eat 2 meals: breakfast (200 calories—usu. Greek yogurt & frozen berries) and dinner (600 calories, usu. a protein with a big salad + full-fat, homemade dressing).

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi again, how about when you are on holiday you try to avoid carbs as much as you can but besides that don’t worry about some weight gain, it would happen low carb or very low carb or even on any other diet. That’s life. Enjoy and no regrets.

• posted by VMHuck
    on

That’s my loose plan. But I’m hoping that I’ll reach my goal with 2-3 wks to spare so that I can reverse diet my way to more calories/carbs. That way, my body won’t be shocked into big gains.

But I’ll also be doing lots of hiking, so that will help. I do expect it l’ll gain some (not too much, I hope!)

• posted by Dylanredefined
    on

One day at a time. On 4th week of the diet would kill for a chip butty. Also don’t want my legs amputated.

• posted by Verano
    on

Dylanredefined I’ve just posted on the weekly thread. Please read Chris Van Tulleken’s articles in the mail last Saturday and Sunday about ultra processed foods and the bread will definitely no longer appeal. It might be called ‘bread’ but it’s probably just UPFs, chemicals dressed up to represent ‘food’!

Please log in or register to post a reply.