Transformation Dressing – What to wear when losing weight

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bigeater
    on

I have trawled through my wardrobe looking for functional items to wear while losing weight. I have recycled a lot of clothing in a shop that sells preloved quality clothing. Instead of buying more clothing there I have bought some great silver jewellery. I have checked out online tips and have added a few of my own:
    accessories are your friends, dress up or down plain items’
    wrap dresses are very forgiving and can take you through several sizes
    stretch clothing also works over a couple of sizes
    too loose shirts may be belted for a new look
    if you have nothing to wear, buy a few basics, jeans, black trousers, skirt and they may see you through the downward trend
    Shop in thrift shops and recycle shops – you don’t want to pay heaps for clothing that will be too big in a few weeks!
    If anyone has any tips, I would love to hear them.
    Onward and downward!

• posted by Luckylinda
    on

Nappy pins ๐Ÿ™‚ Went out and bought nappy pins to hold my skirts up – looks a bit naff but hey does the job – and wearing loose sweaters over top. I still look big (to me) but everyone saying they can see a difference even with the baggy clothes. I’m kinda looking at it as an unveiling – keep wearing baggy – look large – and then poof like the fairy godmother was around and waved her magic wand I shall reveal my new bod haha

• posted by FluffyFluffy
    on

Hi congrats on your size reductions! I’ve gone down 4 sizes in six months and skipped some sizes in between. I had lots of almost new clothes I had to donate. I try not to think about the money lost because it’s all worth it! I haven’t bought any new clothes except one outfit for a special occasion. Being almost sixty years old, I guess my tip would be to dust off those boxes full of 20-30 year old clothes from high school and university, and don’t worry if they’re out of style! Yes, wear those tops with the shoulder pads and the bell bottom pants and the Lee painter jeans! Wear them proudly. You can start a new trend. What’s old becomes new again! How many clothes did you donate and did it make you happy or sad or ?

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Luckylinda, I like your style. I guess the nappy pins can work for a while. I look forward to hearing about the big reveal. I live close to the equator so it is pretty hot most of the time. It’s a bit harder to conceal the nappy pins lol.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Fluffy Fluffy, I have parted with bags and bags of clothes. Was not upset when they went to the recycle shop as at least I had some return for them. I am thinking very carefully about any purchases I make as I will lose a lot more weight. I can’t believe you have only bought one outfit! when you have gone down 4 dress sizes.! What’s your secret?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I have basically replaced my entire wardrobe from charity shops and ‘final reduction’ sales. I am planning a few new items to be carefully chosen and purchased after my birthday in June but apart from that I am pretty sorted now. It was more difficult to keep up while I was still losing, and quite a few charity shop ‘interim’ purchases have now made their way back ๐Ÿ˜Š I also tried on all of my big stuff, and kept some pieces quite late, in fact I still have some size 20-22 tops that I still wear, although they look quite different now on my skinny body. Still have a few bags to be sorted and let go to the charity shops before my birthday deadline. It is a shame in a way that our community is so widespread, as with all of us at different stages we could run a great clothes swap shop.

• posted by FluffyFluffy
    on

I was kinda shocked by how many clothes I’d acquired and stored away over the years. So many of them looked new and I truly don’t remember buying them. So lots to choose from as I’m looking through the sizes and trying them on. It’s with a tinge of regret though parting with new and almost new. I have never been interested in fashion or expensive designer clothes, so they’re not worth the trouble for a consignment store. Maybe when I reach my goal weight, then I’ll splurge! What about you, are you treating yourself to some beautiful new outfits?

Thanks to this diet I’m on my husband has also lost weight unintentionally and he just simply notches up his belt. He is not into shopping either.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Yes, I love fashion but to look at my wardrobe at present, nobody would know. So much has gone, I still have a lot of weight to lose so my wardrobe will be hashed together for some time yet. Like you, I will save the real shopping until I am on target. I can also sew, but haven’t altered anything, preferring to recycle it. And I probably won’t make myself anything either until I reach my goal as I am reluctant to put in all that effort into something that may only fit for a few weeks. 2nd hand and bargain priced items will do for now. One of my swimsuits is funny, it is a swimdress on top with a lining that hangs underneath like a sodden nappy. The dress on top conceals all but it is feeling a bit peculiar to wear.

• posted by FluffyFluffy
    on

Hi Mixnmatch
    Congrats with your successful weight loss! I agree it would be great if we could help each other out with clothes. That’s a good tip to perhaps find people locally who are losing weight and would like to share clothes. Are you at your goal weight now? It sounds like your birthday is when you’ll be fully transitioning? What type of clothes will you buy then? That’s great that you can appreciate some of your larger tops differently now because they drape in a more stylish way. I want everything as snug as possible to remind me that I have to keep losing weight. Not so tight that they hurt or look awkward, but just enough to spur me on. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Mixnmatch. Sounds like you will have some shopping fun in June. I have bought a few cheap (very cheap) things and grabbed a few things from thrift shops. I have enough to go on with but will have to be quite creative when the weather cools. Although I live in the tropics, due to the altitude, we do have a winter. Anyway quite enjoying the challenge of clothing myself during this tricky time but also look forward to maintaining a stable weight….. and wardrobe.

• posted by FluffyFluffy
    on

Ahh with summer coming you just might have to splurge on a beautiful new swimsuit ! I don’t think I’ve ever seen swimsuits at a recycle store. Unless its still got the tags in it? I haven’t yet tried on my swimsuits and like you I am reluctant to buy a new one. That’s great that you sew. Such a valuable skill to have. I wish I liked to sew. You can create such unique outfits you’d never see in most shops. So that can really help as you work your way down the sizes. You are so right though about investing time and money on anything presently when we still have a way to go. But I know this stage does feel a bit unsettled right now. It would be nice to be able to dress in clothes once in a while that are spectacular. But that’s on pause. I’m impatiently tapping my foot and waiting for the day I reach my target weight even though I know it’s all about the process. I’m hoping by the summer. But superstitious about setting a timeframe! What about you?

• posted by FluffyFluffy
    on

Hi Bigeater, tropics at high altitude does sound challenging for managing your wardrobe. Is your winter coming soon? How cold does it get there? Will recycle stores have the sizes and types of clothes you’ll need and like? If you’re into fashion are there stores close by that you like and have you seen any outfits you’d like for your target weight?

I’m like you, at this stage I can’t be bothered with alterations but that’s because I have lots of smaller sizes to choose from. However I’ve heard hem tape is quite effective for pants that now droop on the floor thanks to a shrinking belly and waist.

• posted by bigeater
    on

It’s winter coming here! I will probably swim until the end of April then have four months of chilly weather. So a new swimsuit beckons in spring, wouldn’t do that one at a thrift store. Sounds like you have heaps of stock in your personal clothing store and all sizes too! Must be fun trying things on as you go down in size! I never keep anything, if I am not using it, out it goes. Your name fluffy fluffy reminds me of a fashion tragic moment I had many years ago. I donned a somewhat fleecy yellow dress and wore it with some yellow flats, at the time I had very blonde wispy hair. My natural gait is with feet turned out a bit and yes someone remarked that I looked like a duck and the name fluffy ensued…….At least I wasn’t rotund at that time lol

• posted by FluffyFluffy
    on

Ha too funny about your fashion tragedy! It’s great you took
    that in stride and can laugh at yourself ๐Ÿ˜‰ I can visualize that so well
    thanks to your description. However to me that outfit sounds beautiful! Lucky you that you can swim outdoors. Is that your exercise of choice? I guess you do have to wait to indulge in a new swimsuit. Since winter is on it’s way. I can’t wait to head to the lakes nearby in a couple of months

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi fluffy fluffy. I haven’t spotted anything for my target weight, I find that a bit hard to envision as I have plenty of weight to go. I think it would be better to look when I am accustomed to a new shape. Thrift shops are a bit of a challenge,, not much choice,, you need to shop often to find things. Now, if I had been like you and saved my smaller clothing, then I would have a lot more choice! It only gets cold enough to wear a light winter coat here, not that cold, but warmer clothes are necessary. I will be eating a lot of vegetable soup and dropping weight like crazy, ready for the warmer weather! What about where you are cold??? What are your go to winter bsd meals?.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi fluffy fluffy. Yes I swim. Sounds like you do too? I haven’t done enough walking as recommended on the BSD but hope to correct this.

Please log in or register to post a reply.