Today is the day I'm making a stand!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sheena
    on

Hi all,

I’ve plucked up the courage and have started the bsd today. I had my thyroid removed after years of it being overactive and not stabilising about 4 years ago. Since then I’ve been on loads of diets but never had the willpower to stick to them. Today is the day that I stop using my lack of thyroid as an excuse!! I’m going to post my measurements and weight each week in the hope that it will motivate me to keep going. Anyone that can support me / has experience of success with thyroid issues would be great fully appreciated.

I’m 44, 5ft4 and weigh 14.5 stones.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Sheena, my daughter has an underactive thyroid controlled by medication and she struggled with her weight. Although she is not on this diet she is following low carb and has managed to lose 3 stone since June. So it can be done with the right plan.

• posted by Sheena
    on

Thank you sunshine girl that’s really good to hear

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sheena – welcome to the BSD train! Well done on taking the decision to take control and make a difference.

Although I have no experience of thyroid issues, I have been on the BSD for almost a year, with two fairly lengthy ‘maintenance’ breaks along the way. I start with two stone to lose, which doesn’t sound a lot but as it turns out that even on the BSD, I am a slow loser I am still working towards the ultimate goal.

I expect you have had a good look around the forum and read lots of the inspirational stories on here, so you can see that this way of eating really does work, even for those of us who aren’t diabetic or pre-diabetic. There are lots of lovely folks who will off advise, encouragement and support, so shout if you need to and be sure to post your results, ‘cos we love to hear how things are going with everyone.

Good luck and hope to see some good results posted by you soon.

• posted by Kamru
    on

Well done! Keep your goal in sight 🙂

• posted by Theodora
    on

Welcome Sheena, and congratulations on taking control. Sorry, I have no experience of thyroid issues, so no help on that front. 🙁

I only started BSD and joined this forum last Monday, but already I have been overwhelmed by how welcoming and supportive everyone is, so I am sure you will find the same. Really pleased to have you aboard.

I am amazed and very happy that I have managed to lose 8lbs in 7 days – but I have been REALLY (probably over) strict with myself as I know from experience that if the scales don’t drop quite quickly at the beginning, I will give up! I do know however that I cannot possibly continue losing at this rate, but now I am determined to lose the 28lbs goal I set myself (and hopefully more) and am prepared for a much slower rate of loss.

Be prepared for a bout of carb flu – not everyone gets it, but I did, and not very pleasant. Just fight your way through if it happens to you, it generally only lasts a few days and it is a sign that your body is learning to switch from burning carbs to burning fat, so if it hits you, look upon it as a GOOD thing, and stick with it.

Tell everyone what you are doing so they can support you and be kind to yourself. Good luck and looking forward to hearing your first week’s results.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Sheena, I should also have said that my daughter has to keep in regular contact with her doctor as when she loses weight her thyroxine has to be adjusted but I don’t know the routine, maybe you will already know that.

• posted by Sheena
    on

Thanks Sunshine girl – I’ve been stable medication wise for about 3 year as they totally removed it so hopefully it won’t be a problem but I will keep this in mind x

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

My OH has underactive thyroid controlled by medication and while not even following the diet strictly has lost two stone, just switching to the healthier food, and by following my example of only eating when he is hungry, not on the externally imposed habit of three square meals a day.

• posted by Sheena
    on

Thank you for your kind and supportive words Theodora – it’s so positive to see people losing weight on here. I made the cauliflower cheese recipe and it’s gone down well with the family so day 1 successful so far.

• posted by Sheena
    on

Thanks mixnmatch

• posted by Sheena
    on

Thanks sunnyb

• posted by Sheena
    on

Week 1 completed and I lost 8.5 lbs

Feeling really pleased with myself. I’ve struggled with portion sizes and took a while to understand the ratio of carbs etc but the forums really helped me. I’m sure the next couple of weeks will be tough from reading the forums but I’m motivated.

Please log in or register to post a reply.