Tired, dizzy, and lightheaded…

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Autumn
    on

Hi everyone! I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m almost done with my 2nd week, and aside from one day that I went over by 150 kcal, I’ve been consistently between 750-850 kcal/day. My problem is I’m feeling very weak, and more than a little faint. Moving around seems like such a monumental task, and climbing the stairs to my apartment (4th floor) is soul draining. I’ve been reading all the lovely posts of folks who feel awesome on this diet. People have even said that they have *more* energy…but I’m really struggling!

A typical day is looks like this: 250 kcal for breakfast, 200-250 kcal for lunch, 300 kcal for dinner, and a coffee mid afternoon. I’m a vegetarian, so it’s been rough getting my carbs low enough (although eggs are my best friends just now), although I’m usually around 35-50% carbs. I’m also drinking about 2L of water a day not including my coffee or tea. Does anything jump out at anyone? Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Even though I’ve already lost +8 lbs, I’m just really getting discouraged. Maybe this just won’t work for me πŸ˜”
    Any help or suggestions would be *greatly appreciated*! I really don’t want to stop the incredible weight loss.

• posted by Timmy
    on

Hi Autumn, sorry you’re feeling rubbish. what sort of foods are you eating? It sounds like a typical carb crash/withdrawal but I would have thought it would be nearing the end by 2 weeks.

Also, are you doing much exercise?

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hi Autumn, I’m now on week 21 but felt quite ill for the first 2 or 3 weeks. No energy, tired, aches, etc. I put it down to my body adjusting to a lot less food. I even couldn’t keep up with my 3 miles walking each night as I felt so worn out. This did improve though. I found upping my protein helped with the lack of energy. Keep at it, it’s still early days and it will get easier.

• posted by Autumn
    on

Timmy, I’m hoping this image works. But if not, it’s mostly eggs, fish, veggies, and fruit.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/2uei6xg.jpg[/IMG]

And no, this past week I haven’t exercised at all. I’m just too dizzy and weak to even attempt it.

• posted by Autumn
    on

Leanne, thank you! Knowing that this may be completely normal, and there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, gives me hope :). I’m happy to keep going if I know this weak feeling eventually alleviates!

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Autumn,
    Like you I am vegetarian and yes, it is harder as a vegetarian to get to the low carb limits some people do as we need the pulses which are carb high – but these are not bad refined carbs, they are good ones!
    I started at a BMI of 33 and a self diagnosis of ‘about to be’ pre-diabetic’ when I took my FBS with a blood sugar monitor. It was a shock, and I got started on this within a week. I had two initial goals (I started 1 Feb 16); one was to get my blood sugars down, the second to get my weight down so I was not classified as obese. My blood sugars were down within 4 weeks and my BMI was under 30 in 5.5 weeks. I did 10 weeks of the 800, then have had a break and been doing 4:3 or 3:4 with a few weeks of 800 depending on where I am and what is going on. I am now 20 kilos lighter, my FBS is down at 4 – 4.5 and I should be getting into normal BMI in a week or so – I am also 3-4 dress sizes down.
    I did not get the ‘carb flu’ (sounds like what you are experiencing) that you hear people talking about when I started the 800 as I started using Shakes for 3 of the meals and one meal of veggies or soup. This was close to the Newcastle approach to the diet, but without the help of their Shakes which are high protein as you cannot get over the counter in the UK. The ones I took turned out to be high carbs so I was on 100g carb or higher for the first two weeks! I was losing weight (steadily) and not inches off of my waist. I asked the forum and was advised to look at my carb intake. I then went onto my own meals, but after doing some digging on info, decided to aim for 60g a day carbs as this allowed me to balance my diet with enough good veg carbs to get 40-45g protein a day. I also found I was getting dizzy and had severe leg cramps overnight if I dropped below 50g a day carbs.
    You may find you are better to increase the carbs to 60g for a few weeks to see how it goes and if you feel you need to cut further the go down slowly to 40g. The key is to remember we still need our 5 a day and 40-45g protein a day so you need enough cheese, full fat dairy, pulses, tofu etc to get that. The revelation is eating FF yogurt and cheese again – and yes a lot of eggs.
    Hope this helps = happy to chat more if you want more detail.

• posted by Autumn
    on

Orchid, that was extremely helpful! I was super hesitant to post since I really didn’t want to sound as pathetic as I feel, lol. I’m glad I did though. I think being so lethargic is also sapping my optimism too :). I’ll go ahead and try the higher carb count and see if that helps. I really am loving the weight loss, and I don’t want to quit! Thank you for help.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Autumn,
    Just post! There are a lot of people who have gone through the programme and it will be surprising if others have not had a similar experience or something that you can relate to. It is a fantastic forum, full of a lot of knowledge and people happy to help and share.
    Good luck – looking forward to your next post!

• posted by Ziggy
    on

From a fellow veggie Orchid, brilliant results, over 3 stone gone!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I’m nearing end of my second week and have felt very weak a lot of the time too!
    This should pass soon hopefully for both of us…our bodies are going thru enormous changes and need time to adjust
    Take little breathers if you have tasks that must be done.allow yrself to nap if you can,and get some early nights
    Take the good advice others have offered above and be kind to yourself with small non food treats
    Pat yrself on the back – most people wdnt dream of even giving BSD a try!
    And dont forget carbs provide calories to provide energy..and we’re no longer getting those carbs,so we will feel it at first. Make sure you get yr protein and yr full fat yog,plenty of greens and berries so youre well nourished!
    Good luck x

• posted by Autumn
    on

I thought I’d post just a quick update. I went ahead and upped my carb intake slightly, like Orchid suggested, and I immediately felt a HUGE difference. I feel almost normal, and my mood feels much more positive. I’ll keep this up til the end of this week, and then I’ll slowly start cutting down on my carbs each week. I’ve also taken Yowzer49’s suggestion, and incorporated a short nap 😴. Maybe it was just too much all at once? I realized that I was really eating a ton of calories a day before I started the BSD, and in these last two weeks I’ve cut them by as much as 300-400%! I’ve lost over 8lbs, and almost 3 inches off my waist, so I’m SUPER EXCITED and happy to have found a way to keep it going. Thanks everyone for all your support and suggestions πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thats good news Autumn! Glad youre feeling a lot better…look after yrself x πŸ’

• posted by LACali21
    on

Autumn, awesome results. I’ve felt really tired and have no energy this week, so exercise has not been much, but I’m hoping that by next week I should feel better too. You give me hope. πŸ™‚

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Perhaps a little more protein and a little more fat (avocado, nuts) and a little less carbs. You really seem to have changed your diet dramatically. I always ate a tonne of non starchy veg, and practically no sugar so only had to give up booze, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta (sob), so did not have too much of a carb flu. You are eating full fat not light as Yowzer suggests above?. Lovely big green salad with avocado and a smidge of EVOO, yum. Lots of steamed greens with a teaspoon of oil or butter.

I think you are doing very well – esp the 3 inches of the waist. It is the only measurement I am following as it is really the only one that really matters to me.

I too have a ‘nanna nap’ every day

All the best

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Haha! ruthdownunder – you ONLY had to give up bread, rice, potatoes and pasta?!!! No easy task is it – or is it?! I haven’t found it too bad lately (although I’m struggling to give up chocolate and puddings!!)

It seems that full fat yoghurts such as Fage TOTAL is our new best friend – oh and the wonderful avocado!! πŸ˜‰

• posted by Autumn
    on

LACali21, we totally got this! This forum has been amazing at offering support and great ideas. It’s nice to know we’re not alone in this πŸ‘

Ruthdownunder, I’m definitely planning on cutting down the carbs as the weeks progress, but just these past few days, by raising my carbs, my symptoms have completely dissipated. In fact, I’m thinking about going for a quick jog in a bit! So, yes, I hope to raise my protein and fat levels in the coming weeks, but just now, I’m just reveling in my new found energy on 800 kcal/day! (and I’m in total agreement about the full fat 😊) And aren’t naps the best? I feel soooo much better from just a quick 20 min nap. Maybe because it feels so self-indulgent, lol.

Nursebean, I just tried out the full fat plain bio yoghurt yesterday and wow! SO GOOD! I added figs yesterday, and blackberries today, along with some crushed walnuts. Unbelievable how long I felt satiated. I think a part of me panics a bit when I think about not getting enough to eat (and then the ensuing dizziness and weakness), but I was really surprised at how great this worked πŸ™‚ Eggs, steamed veggies, and yoghurt, my best friends right now!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Amazing just how much delicious and nourishing foods mentioned on this thread and elsewhere?!
    Like Autumn says above,eggs,steamed veg,yoghurt are some of our best friends ..and filling too. πŸ™‚
    Really enjoying eating this way..i’ m craving green veg at the moment..have you tried Birds Eye green medley with a hint of garlic…tastes wonderful xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

It is amazing isn’t it, how this way of eating completely changes our view of food! I’ve rediscovered herbs and spices, fallen in love with cauli rice and just don’t want the simple carbs anymore. Haven’t tried the green medley, but will put it on the shopping list.

• posted by LACali21
    on

Yes, Autumn this forum is great! I’m starting to feel like the old me. No new energy yet, but it’s getting better. A good point though is my sleep has been way better! πŸ™‚

Ruthdownunder I love the things you list that we ONLY need to give up. Sometimes it feels like life is not fun, but then I try to think once I get close to goal I can start to introduce some things back in periodically. It just when I have such a big weight amount to lose, I get lost in how long it is going to take… Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.

I am envious of some of the foods you guys mention, I don’t know what they are like and it’s hard to find some things in Canada – full fat cottage cheese and yogurt for instance. I had to go to a health food store to find them here in Saskatchewan. It was way more expensive than regular food from the supermarket, but I just remembered that I am eating less of it so it all equals out in the end. πŸ™‚

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Autumn, great news that it worked! Personally, I would suggest you don’t make any more adjustments for 2 weeks and see how things go. There is no need to drop to 50g carbs if you are losing a sensible amount at 60g and you feel fine. If you feel fine you will be active and be able to exercise and that alone will be a benefit and help much more with weight loss than cutting your carbs further. Don’t forget, you need between 40-45 g protein a day plus 450g fruit and veg for your 5 a day. On a veggie diet, you probably need the 60g to ensure you get enough protein etc. Also – most of us have had a plateau weeks 4-5 (mine was 7-8) and being able to drop a little in carbs can be the trigger to getting the weight loss moving again.
    looking forward to you posting more successes.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks for the above Orchid..that was v useful info for me! I didnt know about the fruit/ veg/ protein amounts ..i suspected there may be a dreaded plateau lurking in the wings,and yr tip re that and dropping the carbs is worth remembering!
    ( i have the book but havent read it all yet as i ve the attention span of a gnat!πŸ˜€ ) x

• posted by orchid
    on

You are welcome Yowzer49. I don’t think I saw the 10-20% in the book, but I did find it on this website. The book gave examples of people losing a lot of weight and when I did not lose that much initially, I was depressed. I found the 10-20% and that helped reset my expectations and things went great thereafter!
    The other figures also not in the book, but are the standard amount of protein we need daily women – 40-45g and men 45-50g. The 450g fruit and veg was the one that surprised me……. I have tried to have the 5 fruit and veg a day and you would think that as a veggie that will be easy! Well yes and no. It was only very recently that I discovered the portion sizes for each component was 90g! I had been looking at my diet and 5 rasps with muesli – 1 portion, apple 1 portion, tomato (3 cherries with lunch) 1 portion, veg in soup – one, maybe 2 portions as it must have onions as well as eg squash etc. The weight I did not consider just the number! Given the rest of my diet was carbs – pasta, bread etc it is not surprising I was heading towards pre-diabetes fast and 27kg overweight!
    Once you start keeping a food dairy and weight everything you start seeing just how badly you have been eating πŸ™ . Keeping to the 5 a day proportions mean that I do find I need that extra bit of carb – thus the 60g a day and I am still losing on average 2kg a week πŸ™‚ .
    Good luck with the plateau if it arrives…… not everyone has one!

• posted by orchid
    on

quick update – if you can access the link below it is a quiz on the fruit and veg amounts we should be eating per day. I had the weight per item slightly high – it is 80g per item so 400g a day, although in fairness that is the lowest you should have. I got most of the quiz q’s correct except one that surprised me – pulses and bean only count as one regardless of how much you have per day πŸ™ ….. I have been adding humus as one and lentils in dhal as a second. Back to the planning board.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z27h4j6?intc_type=singletheme&intc_location=bbcone&intc_campaign=eatwellforless&intc_linkname=guide_fiveaday_contentcard6

• posted by Autumn
    on

Thank you Orchid. All the info is just wonderful! I’ll take your advice and push the extra week of 60g of carbs. I am just so happy to feel normal again, and I started running again for the first time in weeks!

As far as the plateau is concerned, I think I’ve hit it (I’ve been at my same weight now for the last 4 days), but I’m not worried. I personally think it’s my body readjusting to the water weight loss. I was having some odd dehydration symptoms like, *super* dry eyes, dry mouth, constipation, etc., so I upped my water intake to a full gallon a day, and that seems to be working for me. I’m sure that with the running, the low cal diet, and my hydration figured out, I’ll start dropping again soon.

Honestly, it’s physically impossible to not eventually lose weight on 800kcal a day (no matter the macro makeup), so not sweating it πŸ™‚

LACali21, I’m so happy the sleep is better. I think taking care of my sleep hygiene helped me a lot. Emotionally at least, things seemed easier for me.

You know, I’ve really struggled to put all this in perspective. It feels like this was almost an internal battle. Me against My Body. I kept feeling overwhelmed and nervous, and my body kept letting me down, and I wasn’t winning. However, I’m now trying to view this differently. I’m trying to really listen to those symptoms and instead of “overcoming” my body, I’m trying to view it as “supporting” it. For some reason, in my head, it feels more gentle…graceful even. My “fight” has turned into an 8 week self care movement ☺️ I nap when I feel like I need to and I go to bed early if I feel like it. I nourish myself with only the best foods and drink load of water to hydrate and cleanse. I’m doing yin yoga because I like the long deep stretches and I’ve started jogging again whenever I’ve got the energy. I’ve given myself permission to focus on ways to really take care of my body, and it’s made a world of difference to me.

I just want to thank you amazing people for helping me out when I was super low with all your thoughtful advice and encouragement. In the end, you may have all saved me from giving up and living with disease.

Ok, now I’m done being all cheesy and emotional, lol!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

AUTUMN How are you getting on? X

• posted by Autumn
    on

Hi Yowzer49,

I’m doing well. My check-in day is Sunday (today), so I’ve got my new numbers (yay!). Overall, in three weeks, I’ve lost 9.5 lbs, 3.5 in. off my waist, an inch off of my hips, thighs, and chest, and 4% of my body fat. I’ve also surprisingly gained almost 1% in muscle mass and water weight (TBW).

I was a little worried about my measurements today because yesterday I did a bit of cheating (and it was wonderful, lol!). I also hadn’t weighed myself in a few days since I had hit a plateau and I found the constant number discouraging. So it was a welcome surprise to see my numbers dip, finally! πŸ™‚

So really, overall, this month has been very good. I had a rocky start, but I feel like it’s finally getting easier. I think this month I’ll focus on eating even more veggies and beans. I think I could use the added fiber.

How about you Yowzer49? How are things with you?

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Yay!!!thats fabulous AUTUMN…Thats a lot of pounds and inches!,everything must be feeling looser..i love that feeling! When things get too snug i find it so uncomfortable,constantly tugging and pulling things that ride up! Well done on getting thru that rocky start and the plateau ..i admire yr tenacity!
    I am okthanks..happy with this WOE,sleeping better and seeing good results. 16 1/2 lbs in 19 days. Looking forward to end of wk 3 weigh in x

• posted by Autumn
    on

Wow, Yowzer49! That’s truly amazing πŸ™‚ This past week has been a tough one for me, personally, but I’m still hanging in there. I haven’t had time to do my normal measurements yet, but soon I hope. I have really loved all the, “You look amazing!” or “Wow, have you lost weight?” lol. I mean, I know I’m doing this for my health, but I’ll take the perks too!

How are you doing?

• posted by Bebe T
    on

I noticed most of issues with lightheadness is coming for others after about two-three weeks of being on plan. iIm in my 5th week and just starting with this problem. Any suggestions?

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi BEBE sorry to hear this,its not pleasant!
    Ive seen my doc coz of sudden onset of terrible dizziness a few weeks ago.( much worse than the early weeks tiredness / weakness/ faintness i felt.)
    i was about week 10-11 bsd when it began..have got some medication now which helps stop it ( Stemetil)..
    it could be caused by an inner ear infection ( which GP cant see on examination,wd need a scan)
    If so,of course is totally unrelated to BSD and shd clear up in time
    do you have high blood pressure? If so,it could be that as you lose weight,yr blood pressure has improved and you no longer need the meds/ need to lower meds. Ive done a 24 hr bp monitoring to see whats happening with my bp after losing over 3 stone…prob get results tomorrow.
    Could also just be youre being a bit severe with yr food restrictions…see some earlier comments for advice on this..be gentle with yrself and get rest and relaxation when you can. Let us know how you get on.xx

• posted by cmawp
    on

Bebe T, I became light headed and easily tired and recognised my symptoms from my endurance sport days. I was low on salt because I was washing my system through with 3-5 litres of water a day.

A handful of salted nuts and the effect was almost instant.

I highly recommend seasoning all food at main mealtimes, as long as you don’t have high blood pressure and you’re also drinking plenty of water or herbal tea.

• posted by Sharan7
    on

So glad I read this thread, feeling quite dizzy after my first week. Not surprising as I haven’t had any carbs this week and have had between 800 – 100 cals per day. Fasting ranges between 8 hours to 10 hours. Blood sugar already dropped significantly so will keep going.

Please log in or register to post a reply.