The BDS and Cancer

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ruthleoniefranklin
    on

I am into my 5th week on the BDS and have lost 7 kilos. It’s amazing and I really want to continue until I lose the 10 kilos my doctor advised me to lose at the end of February. However last week I was diagnosed with a small (8 mm, stage 2) breast cancer!!
    While I do not yet know how the hormones I have been told I will have to take may affect me, I do know they may affect my appetite and/or weight.
    I really would like to continue with the BSD but am wondering how safe it is. All advice welcome. I will be seeing a nutritionist before I have surgery in two weeks time and will also discuss it with her/him.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

This is really one for the professionals I’m afraid, they are the experts in their field and are really the ones to listen to at this stage.
    Have a chat with your consultant and nutritionist about it. If necessary, you could always take a break and come back later.
    My thoughts and best wishes are with you during these troubling times.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

As Bill has said, this is the time to listen to the medical profession. A few years ago when I had a cancer scare I got hold of a book called “Foods to Fight Cancer” by Richard Beliveau & Denis Gingras, published by Dorling Kindersley. Many of the foodstuffs written about in the book are encouraged on this diet (fish, broccoli, etc) but some (like citrus fruits) are not. You will undoubtedly have been eating a lot of good stuff on the BSD but see what the nutritionist says.
    So well done on what you have achieved on the BSD so far, and every best wish for a successful outcome for your surgery – easy to say but try and remain positive!

• posted by Beverley
    on

Ditto to what the others have said about talking to your doctor about your nutritional needs during treatment. I have chronic lymphocytic leukemia (ten years survivor) and from what I’ve researched about cancer and nutrition the Blood Sugar Diet sounds perfect for helping you maintain optimum health and it should aid your recovery. I’d be super cautious about doing the Fast800 version while being treated if your aim is to lose weight – sometimes medications are calculated on our weight and any sudden weight loss might result in an incorrect dosage. Ask your doctor if any of your medications may be affected by any foods – for example, grapefruit is contraindicated with many medications and shouldn’t be eaten if you are taking them.

• posted by ruthleoniefranklin
    on

Thanks to all of you. Everything you’ve said sounds like plain old common sense to me. I’ll keep dong the BSD until my doctors tell me otherwise. Thank you for your support and I’ll let you know how I’m travelling.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi ruthleonie, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. You have made a good plan to continue until your doctors tell you otherwise. You will go into surgery much healthier and with better recovery if you are closer to your ideal weight.
    Pay close attention to your protein levels between now and then to make sure you are getting plenty. Eat from a good range of vegetables, especially the leafy greens, and include eggs and nuts to make sure you are getting enough vitamins and zinc. Maybe even a multivitamin with zinc, to help with post op recovery.
    If you need chemo you will most likely find you lose some weight anyway, so you can afford to relax the diet. Michael does say not to do the BSD if you’ve recently had surgery. The nutritionist will help you with food choices, and your weight will be closely monitored during treatment.
    Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery and return to good health 🙂

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi ruthleonie

You have already met & conquered the BSD challenge, that fortitude you will carry forward with you now. All our best wishes are with you. Be guided by the medics now. We’re here to support you – excellent advice already given. Anytime you need an ear, just shout

Love & prayers
    Eureka

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi ruthleonie, sorry to hear you news , as others have said listen to your docs. Cherrianne is our ‘resident’ district nurse and always gives superb advice.
    Wishing you all the very best during your treatment.
    Remember we are all here for you so keep posting so we can offer support – even if it is only written rather than practical 🙂

• posted by Denise47 Jones
    on

Hi Ruthleonie

I had my 7 year check up today after having a 5cm stage 3 breast cancer in 2009 at age 39. Is it tamoxifen you’ll be taking? I got on well with it and didn’t gain weight – I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago and now take Exemestin. My weight has gone up in the last 4 years, but I am losing really well now on the BSD (16lbs in 5 weeks).

Speak to your breast nurse or consultant – you may need more calories than 800 if your going to have treatment, and if you need steroids then they will probably increase your appetite.

I wish you all the very best for the coming few months and if you need any support then I’m only too happy to help.

Look after yourself

Denise xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.