Switching from BSD to 5:2

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Steviep
    on

I am going to come off the stricter 800 calories a day this week, and will transition to 5:2.
    Looking at some of the recipes, they talk of half fat dairy, but on Bsd it talks up full fat milk, double cream etc.
    Any suggestions please on whether the bsd theory should continue, or the 5:2?
    Thanks
    Steve

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Steviep, in my experience the half far, low fat, sugar free etc are a big con. I have been using butter now for 4 years since I started the BSD and started to wonder what was the difference between the half fat or even the easy spread. Look on the contents list and you will find rice powder or something similar. Same with all the low fat, they have to pad it out with something. For everything they take out the put something else in and never something good. Usually something high carb. I havent looked at the 5;2 receipes but I personally would stay away from anything synthetic or chemically enhanced.

• posted by freester
    on

When I moved to maintenance from 800 a day I just upped the portions, doubled ingredients or used a ‘for 4’ recipe for 2. I definitely stuck to the same recipes / ingredients / principles. I steered clear of anything low / half fat.

In fact for me it was a bit hard to stop losing for a bit. I’d got so used to small portions I wasn’t eating enough. Got there in the end!

• posted by Steviep
    on

Many thanks for your input, I think you have confirmed my instincts- so its great to get confirmation!!

• posted by Steviep
    on

Thanks for your comments, I thought that was probably correct, because 5:2 is just about weight loss, Blood sugar is that, but aiming to revert diabetes, in my case type 2.

All the best,

Steve

on

Hi again Steviep, as you are T2 the most important thing for you to stick with is the low carb. I am 4 years in and still dont eat bread, rice, pasta, cereals (except oats occasionally) and potatoes and deffo no processed foods. On the odd time I have had something carby I always see an increase in my fasting bloods. When I started this my HbA1c was 8.6 and now runs at around 6.0 t 6.4 in fact I have a test tomorrow so hoping lockdown hasnt messed me up too much.

on

Tested on Friday, results were great, HbA1c was 6.0, cholesterol 4.1 and triglycerides the lowest ever at 1.36.

• posted by Steviep
    on

Nice hope it continues for you, I am trying to get blood test booked for early July, but can only book surgery slots a week ahead.
    I have got to target weight now, so need to up calories and portion sizes, but not waistline 🙃

Please log in or register to post a reply.