Sweeteners

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by skinnykins
    on

Why are artificial sweeteners not allowed?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

There are lots of theories out there but some ideas are that, the are chemical and the body does not know how to metabolise it and it hangs around messing up other metabolic processes like fat storage or, in the event of a diet, fat burning – in other words it can slow down the weight loss process. Another reason is it tricks the body into thinking it is full (especially with sweetened drinks) but as there are no discernable calories for the body to use it kicks off the craving for more sweet things. This also goes with the idea that you do not allow your taste buds to get used to the new, pure, sugarless flavours so you still craves sweet things or carbs.

Having said that, I have one coffee per day and cannot stand it without some sweetener so I put in about an 8th of a teaspoon of pure Stevia (not chemical) but not to give it sweetness, just to calm down the bitterness. It is when you are having 6 or 7 cups of tea or coffee daily, or, like some people, drinking a litre of diet fizzy drink daily that causes the problems. If the occasional sweetener is going to make your life easier then I wouldn’t worry about it, but try to do with less and less. I started on half a teaspoon, now I barely need any, just a touch, to give the same taste.

• posted by skinnykins
    on

Thank you for clarifying that for me

Please log in or register to post a reply.